Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tullamore Harriers Half Marathon

Options
  • 20-03-2015 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Entry is now open for the Tullamore Harriers Half Marathon . Sat 29th of August. This is the 3rd year running this event. Very well organised, super atmosphere and great feedback from the previous half marathons. A good training run leading to ~Dublin Marathon too. Entry 25euro. Entry via Precision Timing or tullamoreharriers.com.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ironman09

Hi guys,

Is there a course map for the half in may. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

this is the course map

(OP can't post links)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ironman09

Cheers thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

thebestone wrote: »
    Entry is now open for the Tullamore Harriers Half Marathon . Sat 29th of August. This is the 3rd year running this event. Very well organised, super atmosphere and great feedback from the previous half marathons. A good training run leading to ~Dublin Marathon too. Entry 25euro. Entry via Precision Timing or tullamoreharriers.com.

anyone got a Garmin link for this? What's the profile like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ososlo wrote: »
    anyone got a Garmin link for this? What's the profile like?

See Post #3.
    Looks fairly good to me. Slight rise in the first half (but only 20 metres) and a fast 2nd half according to that link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good reports about this last year IIRC. Only complaints were about the colour of the t-shirt :D

^^^^ Thanks both. Off to Tullamore I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭unirunner2

highly recommend this race, did it last year for the first time, and really enjoyed it, it is a tought enough first half, and the second half is nice, the last mile or two is flat and if you have anything left, you can have a great finish, and also, a lap of the track made me feal like i was winning the olympics.

and the feed after was the best i have seen, i will be doing it this year..it was my favourite half marathon

and for only 25 euro, although hopefully this year they will give us a different colour top as opposed to pink!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

Did this last year, very well organized, great spread after as well. Not sure it's particularly fast , enjoyed the lap of the track to finish. The wife got good use of the pink t shirt !

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Will see you there. I am resuming training having taken a break after Cork marathon.

PB 1:27:08
    Aim 1:24:59

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 thebestone

unirunner2 wrote: »
    highly recommend this race, did it last year for the first time, and really enjoyed it, it is a tought enough first half, and the second half is nice, the last mile or two is flat and if you have anything left, you can have a great finish, and also, a lap of the track made me feal like i was winning the olympics.

and the feed after was the best i have seen, i will be doing it this year..it was my favourite half marathon

and for only 25 euro, although hopefully this year they will give us a different colour top as opposed to pink!!!
    Well the tshirt is NOT pink this year!! It was actually very popular but we will change it nevertheless!

Check out Tullamore Harriers AC facebook page for updates on The Tullamore Half Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Disappointing to hear there won't be a pink t-shirt this year :(

So this and Longford are on the same weekend (Tullamore on Sat and Longford on Sunday). I am planning on targeting Longford to improve on my 1:21 PB, but for those who have done both, how does this one stack up? Both are pretty much the same distance from where I'm based (Northside Dublin). Any other major considerations?

Killerz wrote: »

So this and Longford are on the same weekend (Tullamore on Sat and Longford on Sunday). I am planning on targeting Longford to improve on my 1:21 PB, but for those who have done both, how does this one stack up? Both are pretty much the same distance from where I'm based (Northside Dublin). Any other major considerations?

I asked the same question on the Random Running Questions thread as I'm in the same predicament. I was advised that this was more of a pb course than Longford. Interested to hear more opinions too...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Nothing against Longford marathon, but, AFAIK, one is a club run race and one isn't. That would swing it for me.

Killerz wrote: »

The issue with Longford was actually that it was short rather than not a pb course. See post here and discussion that followed...

Originally Posted by Killerz View Post
    Disappointing to hear there won't be a pink t-shirt this year
    Tullamore Half Marathon is organised by a well established athletic club - Tullamore Harriers who have a record of hosting excellent events. It is a good 13.1 course - its not flat, its not hilly it is a fair course suitable for fast running .It has a relay option with a shuttle bus to and from the swop over point. Free parking and shower facilities just outside the door of registration/ finish line. It is less than 1 mile from the train station if anyone wishes to travel by train. Decent prize money including age groups and the perpetual Quinlan Cup team trophy. Fab finishers medal and tshirt for all. All for 25 euro!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭kiloecho15

I ran the tullamore half marathon last year (my first). I had a great day. The registration was good, the organisers were friendly and helpful. The race it self was good (rolling hills , nothing too bad). Finishing with a lap of the track was brilliant. Water stops and refreshments were excellent. The food laid on after was exceptional the best I have seen in my short running life so far ( I have done another 3 halfs since and hopefully on my way to my first full). I have signed up for this years race and looking forward to it. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Best race I have run in so far. As for the pink t-shirts I was offered the previous years blue one which I gladly took.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Always away

Did the rely last year. The 2nd half is fast and the last 2 miles or so are ever so slightly down hill. Finishing on the track is a big plus. Running into the stadium with a lap of the track has a great feeling to it. This race is very well organised . The good thing about this race is that it's organised by an athletic club vs one organised for commercial profit. So you no that the money is going back into the sport instead of someone's pocket. The grub afterwords was excellent . I haven't seen anything like it at a half marathon before. Medal & t-shirt is well for €25. I have signed up again this year to do the full half. It's the best value half marathon around. Haven't done Longford but would find it hard to beat Tullamore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

thebestone wrote: »
    Check out Tullamore Harriers AC facebook page for updates on The Tullamore Half Marathon.

I ran this the last two years and I would put it up there with the dungarvan 10. Class event for 25 euro. Def going back this year with hopefully a full car..I love the club feel to this race along with other club races. I tend not to do private expensive inaccurate races. The spread after it is right up there with dungarvan too.
    Re the course have manners until 6 miles and it's very nice from there. 5 stars for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Nothing against Longford marathon, but, AFAIK, one is a club run race and one isn't. That would swing it for me.

Over the years Longford have raised over €250,000 for local charities in the county.

Good luck to Tullamore, very well run event !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Alot of the longford funds go to local charity in fairness. It is expensive though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I seem to have registered for this. Optimistic about my chances for a PB on Irish soil!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

I'm signed up... not quite ready to go, but hopefully will be in two weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Have paced this in the past and really enjoyed the experience.
    I entered for real this morn :) As a Tullamore native would like to run well on local turf. Still another 2 weeks to cram last minute training in! Course is good - flat and sheltered. Lot of folk PB on it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Also signed up. Not sure I will be pushing for a PB on it as in the middle of DCM training but we'll see how she goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

This could get confusing...!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

belcarra wrote: »
    This could get confusing...!!

Remember when we had three posters called 'run_forest_run'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I thought that as I posted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

So.. Who'll win the battle of the Bazmen? Betting starts now...

Advertisement