Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tullamore Harriers Half Marathon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

So.. Who'll win the battle of the Bazmen? Betting starts now...
    I vote for the one with pacing experience (ie) not me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

Entered today. Hoping to give 1:30 a run for its money.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Entered as well, not sure on a target really, 1:3x I guess, where x < 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

pac_man wrote: »
    Is there pacers for this?

Yes, see http://tullamoreharriers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Half-Marathon_FAQs.pdf

there will be pacemakers for the following times: 1hr30; 1hr40; 1hr50; 2hr & 2hr 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I've entered this also. Hoping to lay down a marker for Berlin 4 weeks later.

Bazman - I think I saw that you are doing Berlin also...are all guns blazing for a proper tilt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Also planning to run this. Done it last year and was very impressed with it.
    One issue, i did have was trying to find the Tullamore Harriers running track. A bit more signage on the outskirts of town would have been a great help.

Plan to run this at MP pace (1.35), will have a go at a PB in Athlone two weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 thebestone

ONLINE REGISTRATION CLOSING on Wednesday at 9pm - 25euro/30 for relay. . Register on the day of race is 35 euro/40 for relay. http://tullamoreharriers.com/half-marathon-quinlan-cup/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Actually signed up for this one, in a last minute spurt of indecision. Longford has been the staple marathon pace session for the last couple of years, but at half the price, 10 minutes shorter journey time and the opportunity to enjoy some pints on Saturday evening figured I'd give this a lash. Will save my race for Charleville, but looking forward to a good outing in Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Another late entry here, and still dithering about Dingle next weekend - just want to do it rather than race, so hope the legs are up to both :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Won't make this. Add it to the growing list of races I've entered but not made the startline for.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Won't make this. Add it to the growing list of races I've entered but not made the startline for.
    Maybe don't sign up until you're sure?!

Yeah, I need to learn my lesson in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 thebestone

Tullamore Harriers Half Marathon has been reopened for online registration just now but will close finally on Friday evening at 7pm. Please note - only those who registered before 9pm on Wednesday can pick up their race number tonight Thursday and Friday between 6pm and 8pm. All other race numbers can be collected on race day Saturday from 9.30am. We will have registration on that day as previously advertised.. 25euro online....35 euro on the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

echancrure wrote: »
    Will see you there. I am resuming training having taken a break after Cork marathon.

PB 1:27:08
    Aim 1:24:59

New Aim 1:59:59 :D

Training has been very poor since Cork, put on weight and found it hard to get back into it. Now trailing a couple of niggles to boot :eek:

I could run 1:40 :rolleyes: but what's the point?

So I'll be unofficially pacing for my wife instead whose aim is under 2.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

belcarra wrote: »
    I've entered this also. Hoping to lay down a marker for Berlin 4 weeks later.

Bazman - I think I saw that you are doing Berlin also...are all guns blazing for a proper tilt?

May be changing focus to Dublin as a little behind on the training progress. Berlin is only 4 weeks away, so unlikely. May still travel to watch the Irish Olympic trial :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Well that was very tough. Even though it is fairly flat the heat killed me. 2 mins outside pb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Congratulations to Tullamore Harriers for a faultless organisation. Never seen that many marshals the final mile it was very safe. The medal is really gorgeous too.

This is a superb event; congratulations to all involved.

Me and my wife came in at 2:01:04 with a strong final 2 miles. It is a 5' minutes pb for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Got exactly what I wanted out of the race with 3 steady and 10 marathon pace effort miles. So much easier mentally to do marathon pace effort in a race!

Very well organized race and a nice fast course. Was hoping to hold on to marathon pace (and just about managed it), but last few miles were a little tougher than I would have liked. Even managed a minor 13 second PB, which warrants a PB beer, so happy days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

TheBazman wrote: »
    Well that was very tough. Even though it is fairly flat the heat killed me. 2 mins outside pb.

The heat got to me too, and a PB was not really on today. Super organisation, marshalling, and stacks of food afterward. Thank you to the 1:30 pacers - very encouraging and helpful especially in the last few miles. Got a quick rub down at the end, great facility having physios there. The only thing I would change is make the start time earlier, to avoid the heat.

• Advertisement

Everything about this race was spot on. You could not fault it in any manner, the only issue I had was I ran a stinker 1:36:17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Very well organised event, enjoyed it. Would echo the comments re the marshalling over the last mile - I've never seen anything like it! Plenty of water on course and after, nice spread of food in the hall afterwards. Very hot - found the going tough as a result but overall a super day out, and great value for 25e or whatever it was.

Congrats Krusty on the top 5 finish and also Bazman with a podium finish.

ger664 wrote: »
    Everything about this race was spot on. You could not fault it in any manner, the only issue I had was I ran a stinker 1:36:17

Think I was talking to you for a minute during the race Ger. You were the BMOH singlet? I was the one in a white top running to heart rate.

Clearlier wrote: »
    Think I was talking to you for a minute during the race Ger. You were the BMOH singlet? I was the one in a white top running to heart rate.

Yes you finished well couldnt stay with you for the last mile even though it was my best part of the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Very enjoyable well organised event. The sense of community is what you see, particularly with the spread of food in the presentation hall (oh, memories of the parties came back :) )

As for the run - was disappointed. More speed work required and legs remain a little hungover from 3 back2back hard weeks of racing (particularly Warriors descending). Fuel in the fire to get myself ready for DCM.

Was back to the Harriers on Sunday for the Pat Colgan 4 peak challenge. Great cycle event - absolutely fantastic weekend of sport.

Aimed for 1:33 but ended up with 1:35:45 or so.
    Felt I was travelling well for the first half into the breeze and what felt slightly uphill most of the way.
    When we turned at halfway though the heat really got to me too and so what I expected would be a quicker second half turned out to be quite a bit slower (90 second pos split?).
    Will settle on a sub-3:20 target for Berlin as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Felt I was travelling well for the first half into the breeze and what felt slightly uphill most of the way.
    When we turned at halfway though the heat really got to me too and so what I expected would be a quicker second half turned out to be quite a bit slower (90 second pos split?).

Well done Belcarra.
    Were you wearing a baseball cap and grey top - i think i may have ran in the same group as you for a while (about mile 4/5).
    I was wearing a green Athlone Half Marathon top.

It was a tough day alright. I found the second half alot tougher than the first half aswell. Think the heat affected a number of people on the day.

It seems like I wasn't just imagining things when I was looking around me during the race thinking that there must be a few boardsies here :).

PDCAT wrote: »
    Well done Belcarra.
    Were you wearing a baseball cap and grey top - i think i may have ran in the same group as you for a while (about mile 4/5).
    I was wearing a green Athlone Half Marathon top.

It was a tough day alright. I found the second half alot tougher than the first half aswell. Think the heat affected a number of people on the day.

Yip, that was me indeed.
    Was that you that came past me around mile 4 and I managed to tail you for a mile or two as we also picked up a Tullamore and Mullingar/Daingean runner?
    I remember a train of 4 of us passing a few others around the middle.
    However, I came across another Athlone shirt in the final mile or two so I got somewhat confused, initially thinking I had caught up again to you but then realising on closer inspection that it was a different runner altogether!

The wind on our back sounds good in theory but on the day I was definitely overheating in the second half!

• Advertisement

Clearlier wrote: »
    It seems like I wasn't just imagining things when I was looking around me during the race thinking that there must be a few boardsies here :).

What were you wearing Clearlier?
    Judging by your summary you must definitely have gone past me at some stage!

Advertisement