Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Headphone extender cable take away from quality?

• 20-03-2015 9:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was looking to buy a set of over ear headphones for late night TV viewing. My Smart TV takes a regaular phone jack.

But my couch is a few meters away form the TV and I'm not keen on wireless.

I am considering buying this set: http://powercity.ie/?par=30-20-XB450L

and this: http://powercity.ie/?par=30-70-DA1106&brands=FLEMMING

...Would the audio quality lessen using the extender?

Thanks!

Anyone any experience on the set of headphones above? I could spend up to €100 in terms of budget.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

I don't believe in cable magic or anything like that. Seeing as it'll be coming from the TV it'll be a digital output, so no, I don't think your sound will lessen. The only thing that will effect it (IMO) is the headphones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Thanks, Just back from shop -works fine - bass is very heavy!!

I see some over ear phone going for up to €350.... I'd like a decent pair but not to remortgage to get them!

Would you have any suggestions for a good wired set for TV use?

sticker wrote: »
    Thanks, Just back from shop -works fine - bass is very heavy!!

I see some over ear phone going for up to €350.... I'd like a decent pair but not to remortgage to get them!

Would you have any suggestions for a good wired set for TV use?

Open or closed?

marko93 wrote: »
    Open or closed?

Over the ear - fully! - Didn't think it came in different variations beyond that!

Over the ear - fully! - Didn't think it came in different variations beyond that!

This is what I mean :p

http://www.howtogeek.com/191416/ask-htg-whats-the-difference-between-open-back-and-closed-back-headphones-and-which-should-i-get/

• Advertisement

Sorry! - Closed back then!

A very common suggestion, but having used to own them I have no problem recommending them for music and movies.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50X-Monitor-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_1?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1427116476&sr=1-1

Many thanks indeed. I'm seeing a price including shipping of €154 - would this be the best price online from your experience? Amazon the best to buy from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

That look more affordable - Is there a large difference in quality? Its primarily for TV listening...

Would the fact that my TV has a standard phone jack as interface be a factor in quality? as in not a digital port?

• Advertisement

That look more affordable - Is there a large difference in quality? Its primarily for TV listening...

Would the fact that my TV has a standard phone jack as interface be a factor in quality? as in not a digital port?

That is a digital port, a 3.5mm jack is standard. Never heard the M40s, so can't say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

That is a digital port, a 3.5mm jack is standard. Never heard the M40s, so can't say

Its an analog port, 3.5mm isn't digital.

Digital audio comes over S/PDIF in the form of coaxial or optical and requires a decoder, where as analog works straight to the device.

PPC wrote: »
    Its an analog port, 3.5mm isn't digital.

Digital audio comes over S/PDIF in the form of coaxial or optical and requires a decoder, where as analog works straight to the device.

My apologies, but none the less cable length or anything like it wont deteriorate the quality :)

My apologies, but none the less cable length or anything like it wont deteriorate the quality :)

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I don't believe in cable magic or anything like that. Seeing as it'll be coming from the TV it'll be a digital output, so no, I don't think your sound will lessen. The only thing that will effect it (IMO) is the headphones.
    All significantly inaccurate Mark!

A headphone (3.5mm jack) is analogue. Also, cable length will deteriorate quality, but not to any significant degree in the circumstances the OP outlines. Nothing to do with 'cable magic'. Simple physics.

For what you describe, OP, any half decent pair of headphones and any extension lead will do the trick.

endacl wrote: »
    All significantly inaccurate Mark!

A headphone (3.5mm jack) is analogue. Also, cable length will deteriorate quality, but not to any significant degree in the circumstances the OP outlines. Nothing to do with 'cable magic'. Simple physics.

For what you describe, OP, any half decent pair of headphones and any extension lead will do the trick.

Well then my sincerest of apologies, I was under the impression that the 3.5mm output on a TV was similar to that of the standard one you'd find in a phone, mp3 player.

Apologies OP. In future I'll do a bit more looking into things before I post, but thank you for telling me this.

EDIT: Well it seems I was hilariously wrong, really sorry OP. I've had it all mixed up in my mind for quite some time. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Well then my sincerest of apologies, I was under the impression that the 3.5mm output on a TV was similar to that of the standard one you'd find in a phone, mp3 player.

Apologies OP. In future I'll do a bit more looking into things before I post, but thank you for telling me this.

EDIT: Well it seems I was hilariously wrong, really sorry OP. I've had it all mixed up in my mind for quite some time. :o

That reply is genuinely refreshing, Mark. Normally when an innocent and harmless mistake is pointed out, people get aggressive and defensive.

Are you new to the internet?!?

That reply is genuinely refreshing, Mark. Normally when an innocent and harmless mistake is pointed out, people get aggressive and defensive.

Very Refreshing indeed - No need to apologise Mark!

Many thanks indeed for all the advise guys.

Every day is a school day. I don't mind being told I'm wrong as long as I can learn from it :P (which I have)

Advertisement