Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden with Heavy Clay Soil and poor Drainage

Options
  • 20-03-2015 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I know there is plenty of threads about gardens with heavy clay soil / poor drainage.

I have read many of them and other forums on the topic.

From what I can tell, the consensus is to add organic matter and mix well with the current clay soil. The idea behind is that mixing clay soil with other organic matter will slowly but surely change the mix of your soil and allow for better aeration and drainage.

Here's my question though.

Is there a brute force way to achieve this?

I moved into my new house a little over a year ago and though we had a great summer in 2014 (for Ireland) parts of the garden were still quite wet underfoot despite weeks of sunshine and no rain.

Would it be possible to get a mini digger and dig out lots of the soil and replace with new soil, mature, topsoil and grass.

I realise that this sounds rather extreme (and most likely a rather big expense) but I don't want to spend years "digging in" organic material in order to make the garden more usable.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

If your garden was still wet in the summer last year, you may have a spring causing problems - I'm consider a number of french drains/rubble drains to divert water away from your garden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

homer911 wrote: »
    If your garden was still wet in the summer last year, you may have a spring causing problems - I'm consider a number of french drains/rubble drains to divert water away from your garden

Thanks for the reply.

Is there anything that I can do confirm this is the case or would I need someone professional to check this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

quazzy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

Is there anything that I can do confirm this is the case or would I need someone professional to check this?

? Dig a hole? Its also possible that you have a mains water pipe that has burst

Identify the wettest part of the garden and did down carefully - no more than 3 feet. If it gets even wetter, or fills with water overnight, you have more than just a damp garden..

Advertisement