Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

barbers cycles closing down

Options
  • 20-03-2015 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭

as above after 50 years trading it will close on easter saturday
    i remember gettting my raleigh grifter in there good memories

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Barbers was a bit of an institution for people growing up in Togher/Ballyphehane, especially before Christmas going to see the new bikes etc. Shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭mossy50

and us from the sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

I remember going in there on the day of my communion to buy a Raleigh Strika.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

I remember my first bike from there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What!

I got my bikes from there as a child, and my kids have also gotten their first bikes from there. They are a great shop with excellent service... measuring the children and advising on the right wheel diameter needed for them. And bikes are even more popular now than ever. What the heck went wrong?

That's a real shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

pwurple wrote: »
    What!

I got my bikes from there as a child, and my kids have also gotten their first bikes from there. They are a great shop with excellent service... measuring the children and advising on the right wheel diameter needed for them. And bikes are even more popular now than ever. What the heck went wrong?

That's a real shame.

My first bike, a Raleigh bullet, came from there. I'm pretty sure that this is the owners just calling it a day as opposed to being forced into it. They were still doing good business apparently. They hadn't opened up on Wednesdays for good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

I dont think they ever opened on Wednesdays...
    Cant believe it...

All my family got their bikes there down through the years... I remember getting the Raleigh Strika there... My mother got all our prams there...

I guess they didnt move with the times and the shop they are in is to small compared to the warehouses that sell bikes and prams now...
    Also, little or no presence on social media which is suicide in todays business world.

Another nail in my childhood memories.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I got all of my bikes there too. Sad to hear it's closing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

mossy50 wrote: »
    as above after 50 years trading it will close on easter saturday
    i remember gettting my raleigh grifter in there good memories

Can I just check the source for this OP as there's nothing on their website. Not doubting you but just want to be sure before this thread picks up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Andip wrote: »
    Can I just check the source for this OP as there's nothing on their website. Not doubting you but just want to be sure before this thread picks up

There was a piece on the examiner. Again, I'm almost certain that this is them just retiring of their own volition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭mossy50

yeah it was on the examiner this morning there just calling it a day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

mossy50 wrote: »
    yeah it was on the examiner this morning there just calling it a day

Thanks - that's a real shame

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Thanks - that's a real shame

From their facebook page..

Barbers Prams and Cycles
    19 March at 09:36 ·
    After more than half a century of trading we have decided the time has come to call it a day. Our doors will close for the last time on Easter Saturday, 4th April, 2015.
    In preparation for this, there is now 25% off all bikes.
    We would remind anyone with items on deposit that they must be collected before this date.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Barbers-Prams-and-Cycles/120562784705067

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Shame. So many have such great memories of it

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Very sad to hear that. People went there from all over Cork to buy bicycles. Changing times.:(

Advertisement