Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Group Set Choice

• 20-03-2015 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi All

I'm looking at 2 bike models, one has Sram Force 22 and the other is Shimano Ultegra Di2.

My question is Is the Di2 worth the extra €300? All the other specs are the same

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

DMW22 wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm looking at 2 bike models, one has Sram Force 22 and the other is Shimano Ultegra Di2.

My question is Is the Di2 worth the extra €300? All the other specs are the same

Yes, it is.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Brian? wrote: »
    Yes, it is.

Would agree. I stepped up from 105 to Di2. Great investment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭casion3

in a word yes worth the extra bucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

If it was between mechanical Dura Ace and Ultegra Di2, I'd go with Dura Ace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Go Campag!

11 speed Chorus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭devonp

ckeego wrote: »
    Go Campag!

11 speed Chorus

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

sram wifi.

The new MacBook of bicycle groupsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

On a somewhat related topic, I am currently running a 10-speed 105 groupset and am looking to upgrade to 11-speed and higher spec.

Am seriously thinking of SRAM Force 22 rather than Ultegra, in order to get a 32T ring at the back for the serious climbing events that I seem to always end up in. I do a mix of sportives and club racing, and am no good at low cadence so I think I need this level of gearing. Also interested in the yaw-thingy front mech.

Any thoughts? In my case am not interested in Di2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

MediaMan wrote: »
    Also interested in the yaw-thingy front mech.

I run sram on all my bikes and the one problem is the adjustment of the front dérailleur. The difference with the red yaw mech is fantastic. I don't think it actually requires the corresponding front shifter, I am going to try it on my force bike at some point.
    Red is brilliant, but force is probably best €/performance. I haven't gone 11 speed, as I mentioned above, I'm awaiting wireless which I intend to buy when released instead of a new race bike/frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

MediaMan wrote: »
    On a somewhat related topic, I am currently running a 10-speed 105 groupset and am looking to upgrade to 11-speed and higher spec.

Am seriously thinking of SRAM Force 22 rather than Ultegra, in order to get a 32T ring at the back for the serious climbing events that I seem to always end up in. I do a mix of sportives and club racing, and am no good at low cadence so I think I need this level of gearing. Also interested in the yaw-thingy front mech.

Any thoughts? In my case am not interested in Di2.

Shimano do an 11-32 (11s). You just need a GS rather than a SS RD.

If you don't want to change the RD then you can still use an X?-30 rear cassette.

Also, aren't SRAM rear cassettes compatible with shimano gear? :confused:

OP, Di2 or Ui2 is lovely and can run an 11-32 with a GS RD.

In saying that I have found SRAM's doubletap stuff a lovely system to use too. I think I have the basic one on my cBoardman hybrid though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Idleater wrote: »
    I run sram on all my bikes and the one problem is the adjustment of the front dérailleur. The difference with the red yaw mech is fantastic. I don't think it actually requires the corresponding front shifter, I am going to try it on my force bike at some point.
    Red is brilliant, but force is probably best €/performance. I haven't gone 11 speed, as I mentioned above, I'm awaiting wireless which I intend to buy when released instead of a new race bike/frame.

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely interested in Force. Red is way out of my budget.
    Shimano do an 11-32 (11s). You just need a GS rather than a SS RD.

If you don't want to change the RD then you can still use an X?-30 rear cassette.

Also, aren't SRAM rear cassettes compatible with shimano gear? :confused:

OP, Di2 or Ui2 is lovely and can run an 11-32 with a GS RD.

In saying that I have found SRAM's doubletap stuff a lovely system to use too. I think I have the basic one on my cBoardman hybrid though.

Very true about Ultegra 11-speed going up to 32T - I'd forgotten about that as when I looked previously I was only looking at 10-speed. At that time SRAM WiFli was the only option for >30T. I already have a 11-28 cassette and didn't feel that changing both RD and the cassette just to get an extra 2-tooth gain was worth it. My current 105 RD only goes up to 28T and barely at that.

So I can look at both SRAM Force and Ultegra - off to do some more research!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 nattefrost

I had the same decision to make last year and I went for the sram force 22 in the end. I personally love the double tap shifting and find it a pain going back to using ultegra 6700 on my other bike. Plus I think sram groupsets look way nicer than shimano. but thats just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

DMW22 wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm curious. What 2 bikes are they? Canyon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have quote da (mechanical) on 2 bikes and SRAM Red on one.
    I simply dislike SRAM.
    Yes it shifts very smoothly - no issue there. My issue with iit is twofold - (1) the hoods are very uncomfortable. The nub of the hood is tiny compared to the Ultegra flight deck. It is as a result very difficult to grip and I have reasonable small hands. (2) it feels very brittle - I feel as if the shifter will break off when shifting.
    So all of my issues relate to the brake/shifters.
    Ultegra to my mind is the opposite - comfortable for all day riding, feels sturdy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

ROK ON wrote: »
    I have quote da (mechanical) on 2 bikes and SRAM Red on one.
    I simply dislike SRAM.
    Yes it shifts very smoothly - no issue there. My issue with iit is twofold - (1) the hoods are very uncomfortable. The nub of the hood is tiny compared to the Ultegra flight deck. It is as a result very difficult to grip and I have reasonable small hands. (2) it feels very brittle - I feel as if the shifter will break off when shifting.
    So all of my issues relate to the brake/shifters.
    Ultegra to my mind is the opposite - comfortable for all day riding, feels sturdy.

They changed the shape of the hood slightly when they went to 11 speed. I have 10 speed rival and 11 speed force. I never had any issue with the rival hoods but the new force22 is more comfortable. Front shifting is much better but some of that may be down to the fsa crankset and rings on my rival bike. Run 105 on winter/audax bike it works well but in a race I much prefer the sram doubletap shifting.

Advertisement