Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom fan

Options
  • 20-03-2015 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all sparkies, a question for you. I've just installed a a ceiling fan in my shower room and I've wired it from the switched live in the ceiling rose, is this Ok ???.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It will be OK as long as the installation work complies with ET 101:2008 as amended to 2011 and functions the way that you intend.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sjfoley

I suppose what I should have asked is, do I need to put a fuse between the connection in the ceiling rose, and the fan ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

The manufacturers' instructions for many fans will stipulate that a 3A BS 1362 (IS number?) fuse should be used - however this would have to be arranged so as to protect both the permanent and switched phase conductors. Generally this would be achieved by feeding the bathroom luminaire from a fused connection unit.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

@ sjfoley

Traditionally water and electricity are a bad mix. As a consequence of this the electrical regulations are very strict. In Ireland the the applicable regulations are "The National Rules for Electrical Installations fourth edition ET101:2008". Within this you will find that bathrooms containing a shower or bath a split into different zones. Different types of electrical equipment may be installed in different zones. To determine what is and is not allowed will be determined by several factors. For this reason it is difficult to answer the questions that you have asked.

If you can answer the questions below it would help.

What is the IP rating of the fan?

From this diagram can you determine what zone your fan and light (with the ceiling rose) is in?

Have you installed a suitable fan isolator? If so where is it?

Does the fan have a timer?

Advertisement