Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed choosing apples trees.

Options
  • 20-03-2015 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi

I want to plant a small orchard with 5 apple trees. Eaters only. Can anyone advise me on the best varieties to buy flavour-wise. Trees that will produce nice tasty apples.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what part of the country are you living in?
    irish seed savers in clare would be a common suggestion for advice and varieties suited to our climate.

bear in mind too how much space you have - which will influence the rootstock - and whether you'll be able to eat all the apples from five trees.
    why not get a cider variety? cider is child's play to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

My favorite variety is the Cox's Orange Pippin.
    Nice small apples but with some of the best flavor.

I had one in my garden until we move house not so long ago but will look to get one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

I think the flavor of Gala and Golden delicious apple trees I have planted have been good. I have found the Gala are growing fairly slowly but this could be due to the root stock they are grown with. The Golden delicious I planted has become a stronger tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Growing apple trees is a long term decision. Perhaps put off planting for a year and taste a load of apples at the end of the summer and then choose what you want to grow. need to check on the pollination times of the trees you choose to ensure good X fertilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Skiff! wrote: »
    Hi

I want to plant a small orchard with 5 apple trees. Eaters only. Can anyone advise me on the best varieties to buy flavour-wise. Trees that will produce nice tasty apples.

Fruitsndnut.ie have a mini Orchard pack of 6 trees with a mix of eater and cookers.

I just got it, let you know in a few years how it turns out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Skiff! wrote: »
    Hi

Fruitsndnut.ie have a mini Orchard pack of 6 trees with a mix of eater and cookers.

I just got it, let you know in a few years how it turns out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I have a James Grieve, great flavour, very juicy. The downside is that they don't store, so eat them fast, or share with your friends.

Advertisement