Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Fenix 3 in BM store in Ireland ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Ok, so lets dumb it down.

A Garmin is a stopwatch with added functionality.
    One of the added functions is GPS, which we know isn't 100% accurate.
    You would hope that some if not all the mile/km would be accurate (otherwise your pace band and and stopwatch are equally redundant).
    The app will reset your average pace based on the course markers, so you can use your stopwatch with added functionality, rather than your stopwatch and a pace band.

HTH

Drop the attitude ffs. It's a discussion board. I understand what the app does.

You've just agreed with me that the mile markers need to be bang on.

So basically, you're ignoring the gps distance and hoping the mile markers are correct.

Risky strategy in Ireland given almost every race report on here mentions mile markers that are out.

Honestly don't get the attitude given every point I made has been correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Djoucer wrote: »
    Drop the attitude ffs. It's a discussion board. I understand what the app does.

You've just agreed with me that the mile markers need to be bang on.

So basically, you're ignoring the gps distance and hoping the mile markers are correct.

Risky strategy in Ireland given almost every race report on here mentions mile markers that are out.

Honestly don't get the attitude given every point I made has been correct.

mentioned by genius's who seem to think their GPS is 100% accurate. Mile/KM markers in general are always more accurate in Ireland (and most other places) than GPS once they are measured properly (and not by GPS!).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

wow, the amount of stuff DC rainmaker shows on his watch

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Was thinking of upgrading my 220, this is pushing me even closer to it!!!

Some cool gadgets for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Was thinking of upgrading my 220, this is pushing me even closer to it!!!

Some cool gadgets for it!

Old tech :) The Fenix 5 has appeared - Garmin Fenix 5x – Full specs and commentary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

opus wrote: »
    Old tech :) The Fenix 5 has appeared - Garmin Fenix 5x – Full specs and commentary
    Comes in three styles with two formats per style - expensive, and more expensive!
    Dunno why you'd take a step backwards and go for a non-Wifi variant of the watch, which leaves only the more expensive saphire options. Odd decision.

Not so sure about the mapping. I do often use pre-planned routes/courses on the watch, but find the existing functionality suitable for my needs. Just don't see how having formal maps on such a small device can be really useful. If I really needed mapping, I'd carry a mobile phone, although the round-trip routes sounds interesting. You could end up in some very interesting places!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Comes in three styles with two formats per style - expensive, and more expensive!
    Dunno why you'd take a step backwards and go for a non-Wifi variant of the watch, which leaves only the more expensive saphire options. Odd decision.

Not so sure about the mapping. I do often use pre-planned routes/courses on the watch, but find the existing functionality suitable for my needs. Just don't see how having formal maps on such a small device can be really useful. If I really needed mapping, I'd carry a mobile phone, although the round-trip routes sounds interesting. You could end up in some very interesting places!

I suspect mapping is mainly aimed at hiking/ultra trail races etc..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The Wi-Fi wouldn't be that big a deal for me. It's just as easy to upload via bluetooth as it is via Wi-Fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

opus wrote: »

I think the fenix 5 is over spec for me, mostly be doing 5k, 10k and half races on the roads. Wifi v bluetooth doesn't bother me, bluetooth works perfect with the 220.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

mloc123 wrote: »
    I suspect mapping is mainly aimed at hiking/ultra trail races etc..
    I use route mapping (courses) all of the time on the Fenix 3. The fenix 5 ($699 model only) gives you street-level mapping (little use in ultra/trail) and topology, which you can pre-plot on the Fenix 3 (if you're creating routes on the fly during an ultra/trail, things have gone badly wrong!). Given the price, I still see the Fenix 3 as a better buy. 7,194 running miles covered with my Fenix 3 and I still cannot fault it. If someone were to give me a free swap, I'd gladly take it though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I do often use pre-planned routes/courses on the watch, but find the existing functionality suitable for my needs. Just don't see how having formal maps on such a small device can be really useful.

For an experiment I pre-plotted a route for one of the IMRA championship races this year and downloaded the course onto my Fenix 3. As you'll know it's handy as it tells you how far off you are from your plotted course and which direction to go to rejoin it. But being able to see where you are in the grand scale of things I think would be so much handier without the need for taking out a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I use route mapping (courses) all of the time on the Fenix 3. The fenix 5 ($699 model only) gives you street-level mapping (little use in ultra/trail) and topology, which you can pre-plot on the Fenix 3 (if you're creating routes on the fly during an ultra/trail, things have gone badly wrong!). Given the price, I still see the Fenix 3 as a better buy. 7,194 running miles covered with my Fenix 3 and I still cannot fault it. If someone were to give me a free swap, I'd gladly take it though. :)

I still see topology as a benefit for trail ultras... races where courses are not fully marked etc.. Personally I would like maps for mountain training runs but it is hardly essential.

Only the 5x comes with mapping anyway, if maps were not something I was after the 5s looks ideal.. mainly because it is smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I am interested in the 5s because of the size. The Fenix 3 is too big to wear as a daily watch, the 5s looks like it might fit the bill

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The watch keeps losing my resting HR. I enter it in, but when I go back to it a few hours later its defaulted to blank again. No idea what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

adrian522 wrote: »
    The watch keeps losing my resting HR. I enter it in, but when I go back to it a few hours later its defaulted to blank again. No idea what is going on.

Have you the same RHR on Garmin Connect?
    Check also if there's an option to prioritize the watch data or the GC data, I suspect that every time your watch is syncing with GC it is resetting to the values to those on GC!

Thanks, I'll see if that makes a difference.

On Garmin Connect I changed the setting under Heart Rate Zones to be based on HRR (instead of based off Max %). This gives me the option to enter a RHR which then transferred to the watch so hopefully this sorts out my problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Can you use the Fenix 5 bands with my fenix 3?

The bar looks like it would fit my Fenix 3. It would be great to be able to use the quick change bands on Fenix 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Can you use the Fenix 5 bands with my fenix 3?

The bar looks like it would fit my Fenix 3. It would be great to be able to use the quick change bands on Fenix 3

Should have googled before!!

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/outdoor/new-quickfit-26mm-bands-compatible-fenix-3/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

That has to be a misprice as the ordinary non-sapphire version sans HR strap looks to £430! Buy 10 of them & flog them on ebay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Out of stock now :mad:

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I'd say there is a chance they reduced the wrong one. The older (non optical HR) bundle is now £250.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭jefferson73

Fenix 5 is currently £439 on Amazon.co.uk Black Band first time I've seen it reduced...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Fenix 5 is currently £439 on Amazon.co.uk Black Band first time I've seen it reduced...

If that is the one I saw last week it is being supplied from China through a company that is desolved in the UK and now registered in Cyprus. Lots of warning lights in that one. Garmin have tightened up their distribution and pricing so that ireland is actually cheaper than the UK and the US. I would be very wary of anything that looks too good to be true.

If that is the one I saw last week it is being supplied from China through a company that is desolved in the UK and now registered in Cyprus. Lots of warning lights in that one. Garmin have tightened up their distribution and pricing so that ireland is actually cheaper than the UK and the US. I would be very wary of anything that looks too good to be true.

thanks for the warning,
    It's dispatched from and sold by Amazon
    Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
    and delivery is Wednesday 19th.

Link here

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Seems like a good deal, wonder is it priced down already with 935 due soon? 935 seems a no brained to me over the 5 to replace my 3.

copacetic wrote: »
    Seems like a good deal, wonder is it priced down already with 935 due soon? 935 seems a no brained to me over the 5 to replace my 3.

Suspect the price will rise again, was tracking it on camel camel camel, the other band colours are not reduced.

To me the functionality of the fenix 5 and 935 seem quite similar, the added wifi with the 935 and it's lighter weight 35 grams is nice, however, i preference the looks of the fenix 5.
    That being said, If i had a fenix 3 i'd not consider switching to either.

I'm selling a Fenix3 (original edition) with Running Dynamics HR strap if anyone is interested.

• Advertisement

Fenix 5s price back up to 499 on amazon :(

Advertisement