Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Fenix 3 in BM store in Ireland ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Tried it myself this evening, also added it to the HR screen and it showed up a figure for me.

As an aside, is it possible to flag a segment on any of the mobile apps, can't see it on Android anyway. Bloody cyclists again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ThisRegard wrote: »
    As an aside, is it possible to flag a segment on any of the mobile apps, can't see it on Android anyway. Bloody cyclists again.
    You mean a Garmin Connect segment or Strava?

Sorry, should have clarified, Strava, and I meant somebodys activity on a given segment, not the segment itself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Worked for me this evening too, showed up shortly after a mile, seemed to change a bit as the run went on but not sure what it tells me really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I have a theory (could be wrong).
    I added performance condition as a data field for yesterday evening's run (post installing v6.9) and wearing the HRM-run obviously. I got neither the pop up alert or any data populating the field.
    I repeating the exercise at lunch time today and received both the alert and the data field populating.
    So I'm thinking you may have to wear the HRM-run for 2 consecutive activities to activate the performance condition calculation?

[Noting on Thursday that KC didn't use his HRM on Thursday's morning recovery run, but did for the workout later that day, so I'm going off a sample size of 2 :)]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

When in doubt restart the device and try again.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I have a theory (could be wrong).
    I added performance condition as a data field for yesterday evening's run (post installing v6.9) and wearing the HRM-run obviously. I got neither the pop up alert or any data populating the field.
    I repeating the exercise at lunch time today and received both the alert and the data field populating.
    So I'm thinking you may have to wear the HRM-run for 2 consecutive activities to activate the performance condition calculation?

[Noting on Thursday that KC didn't use his HRM on Thursday's morning recovery run, but did for the workout later that day, so I'm going off a sample size of 2 :)]

I think that's correct. I was messing around with the HR one day and started and stopped an activity within a minute so never got any performance stats as I didn't let it run long enough. That same evening on a run I didn't get them either and I figured it was because there were no stats from my previous activity to measure against.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I didn't wear my HRM strap yesterday, but did today and had the Performance condition figure showing (+3 :confused:), so go figure. I did update to 6.9, which rebooted the watch, so perhaps the old adage of 'turning it off and turning it on again'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

Anyone have a discount code for cotswold that is greater than 10%??

Also anyone have any irish retailers of the fenix 3 hrm?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

honreal wrote: »
    Also anyone have any irish retailers of the fenix 3 hrm?

They are not in the stores yet. All Irish Garmin retailers will have pre-orders in or can order when stock is landed. Usually 1 or 2 days behind general release.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

sconhome wrote: »
    They are not in the stores yet. All Irish Garmin retailers will have pre-orders in or can order when stock is landed. Usually 1 or 2 days behind general release.

I can get the sapphire fenix 3 hrm from cotswold but I can't figure out what the difference is between this and the regular fenix 3? Is it the sapphire design?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Sapphire glass coating.

The F3 HR is only available in the sapphire format which really jacks the price up over the regular F3 watch. I've the F3 and have put it through a lot of roughness over the last 12 months and no issues with scratching glass or anything like that so I struggle to see the value of the extra cost.

And as was suggested to me here, you can pick up screen protectors for it cheap enough anyway. I think you also get, or did get, two straps with the sapphire, the rubber one and the metal one.

I got a very small update this morning, software version remains at 6.90 though and I see nothing on the Garmin s/w release page or their forum. Anyone else?

I got a very small update this morning, software version remains at 6.90 though and I see nothing on the Garmin s/w release page or their forum. Anyone else?

Here: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?345520-fenix-3-tactix-Bravo-quatix-3-software-version-6-90
    • Added support for Elevation Plot navigation data screen (Settings > Navigation > Data Screens > Elevation Plot). Note: this screen should give a 'glanceable' indication of effort remaining along the course being navigated. It shows completed (in green) and future (in blue, if available in the course) altitude data plotted over the distance of the navigation. Ascent fields are also displayed for current accumulation and the amount remaining to destination. Plan your next adventure using the Course creation tool at garminconnect.com!
    • Added support for reviewing elevation history for an activity. (History > Activities > Choose an activity > Elevation Plot. The data field represents total ascent for the activity.)
    • Added support for Auto Lock. (Settings > System > Auto Lock)
    • Added support for configuring Wi-Fi as a Hot Key option. (Settings > System > Hot Keys > Choose a key > Wi-Fi)
    • Improved the colors used for sensor bar status icons.
    • Improved the accuracy of floors climbed data.
    • Fixed an issue where paddle sport activities could not be used for workouts that were classified as 'Other' on Garmin Connect.
    • Fixed a potential issue where one could not change the crank length of a third party power meter.
    • Fixed a potential issue where the device could fail to calculate HARP for a HALO jump.
    • Fixed a potential issue where par and bogey information on golf summary could be incorrect.
    • Fixed a potential issue where a users current CIQ watch face could change, if they had multiple CIQ watch faces and were upgrading from a software version before 6.50.
    • Fixed a potential issue where certain widgets could disappear from the widget loop after a software update.
    • Fixed a potential issue where Foot Pod was being used as a distance source in Bike Indoor activities.

But that's for 6.9, I was already on that.

It might have been a software push to my watch but as it was already on 6.9 it didn't install anything further, hence the brevity of the update.

But that's for 6.9, I was already on that.

It might have been a software push to my watch but as it was already on 6.9 it didn't install anything further, hence the brevity of the update.

there's 6.91 in beta, unless it's some advance prep, mine only had the 6.9 push, but had a corrupt file on this morning's run so will do a hard reset later.

Is anyone using this with a Vodafone smart ultra 6? VF seef to have fecked up the Bluetooth connectivity with the recent update.

Haven't been price tracking on this, but €307 seems like a decent price.
    I have used the site to order several times, only callout would be that they don't ship until their sale ends, so not great if you need something in a hurry.
    NB: This is NOH and doesn't include the HRM transmitter.
    http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/819500

fenix3_hr_0903.3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

The strap for my Fenix 3 HRM is starting to come apart after only 7 months.
    I've searched hard but can't seem to find anywhere that supplies it without the transmitter. Any ideas? Cheers

• Advertisement

Abhainn wrote: »
    I've searched hard but can't seem to find anywhere that supplies it without the transmitter. Any ideas? Cheers

I've a Polar you can have, works perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

Abhainn wrote: »

Have you tried contacting Garmin support, maybe you can get a replacement under warranty if its only 7 months old?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Hi,

Well I did lots of research over the last few weeks and decided to bite the bullet and go for the Fenix 3 (Grey) last night on amazon. I had a £20 gift voucher so brought it down to £293 (€374) delivered. I was considering the 750xt and the forerunner 235, but after researching I decided to pay the extra for a better watch.

Found a few websites mentioned on this thread had them for €10 cheaper but stayed with amazon because of there customer service.

I couldn't afford the sapphire (built in HR) which is a pity but I really don't think i will miss the HR monitor as i've never had a tracker watch

Really looking forward to getting it now. Ordered a screen protector and a few bands off aliexpress

One thing,

Is this watch OTT for me, I run approx 20-30k a week, walk with wife and dog daily? The functionalty of notifications and daily tracking and the other stuff really appeals to me. The likes of apple watch and moto 360 sport seem like they will be out of date sooner than the fenix and obviously the fenix is a better daily and sports tracker. Not really that interested in apps.

How have you all found the watch? Any regret?

Thanks again,
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Hi,

Well I did lots of research over the last few weeks and decided to bite the bullet and go for the Fenix 3 (Grey) last night on amazon. I had a £20 gift voucher so brought it down to £293 (€374) delivered. I was considering the 750xt and the forerunner 235, but after researching I decided to pay the extra for a better watch.

Found a few websites mentioned on this thread had them for €10 cheaper but stayed with amazon because of there customer service.

I couldn't afford the sapphire (built in HR) which is a pity but I really don't think i will miss the HR monitor as i've never had a tracker watch

Really looking forward to getting it now. Ordered a screen protector and a few bands off aliexpress

One thing,

Is this watch OTT for me, I run approx 20-30k a week, walk with wife and dog daily? The functionalty of notifications and daily tracking and the other stuff really appeals to me. The likes of apple watch and moto 360 sport seem like they will be out of date sooner than the fenix and obviously the fenix is a better daily and sports tracker. Not really that interested in apps.

How have you all found the watch? Any regret?

Thanks again,
    BobbyT28

I love the watch - does me perfectly for running, triathlons, everyday watch. Battery life is still excellent after around a year. Condition is perfect - no scratches/wear even wearing it all the time.

+1. Love the watch. Best Garmin I've owned (and I've had a few good uns). I use it primarily for running and telling the time (with some light use of cycling/navigation features/altimeter etc.). I wouldn't buy it for the 'smart-watch' features alone, though the battery will long outlast any of the smart-watch solutions. If you need a GPS running watch, and would also feel you will actively use the smart-watch features (including having Bluetooth enabled on a number of devices), then this could be for you.

It's a pity the watch doesn't connect to audio Bluetooth devices to provide additional audio feedback, though I suspect that Garmin will line that functionality up with a future device.

I've never used it but is it an advanced type of this stuff you mean Kristy?
    http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/forerunner630/EN-US/GUID-6A3A1403-F519-4990-B5C7-718E9352006D.html

I've never used it but is it an advanced type of this stuff you mean Kristy?
    http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/forerunner630/EN-US/GUID-6A3A1403-F519-4990-B5C7-718E9352006D.html
    Yep, exactly that type of thing, but without the need to be paired through a mobile phone, using the Garmin Connect app.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Did a 9KM run today with it in the pouring rain (Definitly waterproof, got absolutly saturated!) was great not having to bring the phone with me.

GPS took about 1min to lock on, realised that glonass was switched off so not sure if that was the reason for it.

Having issues with endomondo, i've connected with garmin via the website but it doesn't show up on 3rd party apps. I'm sure it's something simple that i'll figure out soon.

Smart features are perfect for what I want. So glad I went for it in the end. Much lighter than I expected. Have order a couple of bands from Aliexpress and also a Gorilla glass screen protector.

I never really wanted to be looking at facebook etc on a watch so the basic notifications i.e calls texxt email alerts are perfect.

All in all i am delighted.

So any tips re setting up what to have on or off? Nice watch faces??

Regards,
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

On battery life. I did a cycle yesterday and started out using the Garmin edge 25, which has a supposed battery life of 8 hours. It was fully charged, but I got the Low Battery life warning after ~70 miles. I saved the activity and switched over to the Fenix. Another 57 miles and still 80% of battery left.

• Advertisement

Anyone buy screen protectors for the Fenix 3?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Membrane-Screen-Protectors-Garmin-Fenix/dp/B00WU7OM1Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1469000123&sr=8-3&keywords=fenix+3+screen+protector

Was looking at the above but they are not fulfilled by amazon so extra delivery cost.

Anyone know of a place in IReland (Dublin/Kildare) where I could buy some screen protectors??

Thanks,
    BObbyT28

Advertisement