Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord has sold apartment

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I would email teh agent and CC the solicitor asking for their details regarding lodging said complaint after "talking" to your own solicitor. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

One other thing is that it was the agents solicitor that advised him he was free to enter once he had given notice, and also advised him to continue with a viewing at a time that we hadn't given permission for (he forwarded me on the email). It was that advice that helped give the agent the self-belief that he was free to harass me.

i wonder how this "solicitor" is still in business?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I wonder how either are. Perhaps these tactics work normally.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The OP is being diverted down all sorts of side tracks.
    He has one port of call to lodge a complaint- the PRTB- nowhere else.
    No other body is a 'competent authority' under tenancy legislation to hear a complaint from him.

With respect of the solicitor's e-mail/letter to the agent- it is a communication from the solicitor to the agent. The agent had no business sharing it with the tenant- and it has no standing whatsoever with the tenant.

If the agent goes and breaches tenancy legislation- the agent is at fault. If they believed the solicitor- it is a matter between them and their solicitor- it is nothing to do with the tenant.

OP- lodge a complaint with the Private Residencies Tenancies Board- you're playing mindgames on yourself involving the PSRA, the Law Society or any other agency- who are all red herrings in this case.

I wonder how either are. Perhaps these tactics work normally.

It could be the case that the agent believes this will force your hand.
    It is nothing whatsoever to do with you though.
    Lodge that PRTB case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Sorry I wasn't ignoring you! I've contacted the PRTB and I was waiting on their response and to see if there was any reply from the agent before making the full complaint.

I'll likely be out of the apartment before I hear anything from the PSRA:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/estate-agents-watchdog-receives-over-500-complaints-in-two-years-30604951.html

One other thing is that it was the agents solicitor that advised him he was free to enter once he had given notice, and also advised him to continue with a viewing at a time that we hadn't given permission for (he forwarded me on the email). It was that advice that helped give the agent the self-belief that he was free to harass me.

I'd make sure I'm there at the time. I can't find the thread but there was one with a similar situation where the agent was firmly removed from the premesis by the tenant in full view of the prospective buyers. If the agent wants to embarass himself let him fire ahead. You have no obligation to let any unwanted unannounced visitors into your home. If he turns up at the door and doesn't leave when requested I'd call the gardaí and let them deal with him.

In the meantime I'd request the agent returns any keys he has to the premesis and inform the landlord why I am doing so.

If you think he might enter while you are not in I'd try setting up a webcam or smartphone with some motion detection app or / and a simple alarm. Even something as simple as putting a small object just behind the door that would be moved if the door is opened fully. You could open the door just enough to check it's still in place when you return. Any sign of someone having been there and I'd be making a complaint to the gardaí for breaking and entering.

Phantom Lord- did you follow the advise you were offered on this thread- or did you go off on your side track starting a civil war with the agent via the PSRA?
    While I sympathise with the situation you've found yourself in- and agree the agent is a pratt- you've really not helped the situation any.........

Advertisement