Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding out if a particular business name is available?

Options
  • 20-03-2015 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Not posted in here before :o

I've had an idea for a new business and thought of a particular name for it. How do I find out if that name is taken by another business already, and maybe that it is legally registered etc?

New to all of this so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

If its just a business name then you don't need to worry about it as there is no protection on that. If it is the name of a LTD then you need to make sure you check it out fully to avoid any trouble in the future. Use CRO company search to see if it is being used already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Thanks jimmii, that's very helpful :) The name is fairly important so I'd be looking to protect it into the future, haven't gotten to the stage of deciding LTD yet, early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Thanks jimmii, that's very helpful :) The name is fairly important so I'd be looking to protect it into the future, haven't gotten to the stage of deciding LTD yet, early days.

If its a really good name and something that would be key to succeeding in a particular industry then you would probably want some sort of protection on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

jimmii wrote: »
    If its a really good name and something that would be key to succeeding in a particular industry then you would probably want some sort of protection on it.

Yes it would fill that description, there are other names I'd thought of but I'd be of the belief they would not have the same impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ciarrioch

Hello CF - best to get a solicitor on it as they can highlight other issues with company startup you may need to know as well as protecting the name. All the best with it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement