Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Did I just ruin my swing-arm ?

• 20-03-2015 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

So ... driving home from Ashbourne yesterday and my chain came off just outside Dunshauglin! It was the second time it had happened that day (once in the morning just outside work). I thought I could get away with re-fitting it and driving it home to replace the chain and sprockets there but alas I couldnt. I know I'm pretty lucky that I didnt come off as well with the chain but luckily I wasnt going too fast or in a corner. Im pretty sure I am after destroying the wheel adjustment on the swingarm!

4vMWJFv.jpg

To me it looks pretty bad. I'm hoping I can try and bend it back into shape and get a new chain and sprockets on it but im doubtful considering it needs to be identical to the otherside to make sure the wheel lines up.

I know I should have replaced the chain and sprockets a lot sooner and I feel like a fool for not doing it because its after causing me so much trouble now. Im rebuilding a Cb500 at the moment and the hope was that the current chain and sprockets would have lasted me till I got the 500 on the road and could then fork out for new chain and sprockets for that.

So my plan is to rush to a bike shop after work, try and get the chain and sprockets sorted and then figure out how im gonna get the bike home afterwards.

Im just wondering what people think, any advice? will I be able to fix the swing arm ?

The worst part of it all is, I live in Ballivor, Im interning in Ashbourne Mon-Fri, and then I work weekends in blanchardstown to pay the bills! So im screwed without it :o:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Was that chain back to the last and still loose?
    You need to keep an eye on these things to prevent what happened.

It's not the end of the world.
    Can't see that much in the pic but if you need an adjuster,you'll pick one up in a breakers.

Your chain and sprockets seem well past their lifespan but a better picture is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

blade1 wrote: »
    Was that chain back to the last and still loose?
    You need to keep an eye on these things to prevent what happened.

It's not the end of the world.
    Can't see that much in the pic but if you need an adjuster,you'll pick one up in a breakers.

Your chain and sprockets seem well past their lifespan but a better picture is needed.

It was pretty much at full adjustment! I should'nt have ridden it but I pretty much had no other choice except to call in sick and try make my way to Dublin. But hindsight is 20/20 so ill be a lot more vigilant next time!

Im assuming breakers are only open Mon-Fri ?

I'd be more worried about the chain and sprockets.
    Have you got a replacement set to go on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

If a chain shears it's bad - potentially very bad, I wouldn't risk one so far gone that it could skip the sprocket tbh, think throwing a chainsaw up in the air.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I'm looking at the areas marked A and B...is this normal on this bike....swingarm looks damaged to me....B looks like its bulging..could just be the pic though..

• Advertisement

I'm looking at the areas marked A and B...is this normal on this bike....swingarm looks damaged to me....B looks like its bulging..could just be the pic though..

I'm not sure either but if it is dented I don't think it will have much effect on anything.
    If you are worried about lining up the wheel, measure from the swing arm pivot, which is probably not a bad idea on any bike dented swing arm or not.

blade1 wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about the chain and sprockets.
    Have you got a replacement set to go on?

Im picking up a set today. Not sure if he has the front sprocket in yet (only ordered it yesterday). Ill probably throw the back sprocket and chain on and try source a front on monday if he falls through!

A is dented on it deffinatley. Not sure about B to be honest will have to check it when I take off the wheel. Mostly im worried about the internals where the adjuster slides in and out of. If the internal part has been dented I wont be able to adjust the wheel because the adjustment slider wont fit ? Either way Im going to straighten it up as best I can and see how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

PI have seen way worse sprockets than that one.That doesn't look that bad at all.
    Maybe you just needed to take a link out of the chain? What does the small spro🔯 look like?
    Sorry using a tab to type and its throwing up stupid graphics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »

Im assuming breakers are only open Mon-Fri ?

Normally Tue to Sat. Most close Sun & Mon.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    PI have seen way worse sprockets than that one.That doesn't look that bad at all.
    Maybe you just needed to take a link out of the chain? What does the small spro🔯 look like?
    Sorry using a tab to type and its throwing up stupid graphics

The sprockets and chain are fairly old, probably a year with around 10k miles.

I picked up the parts today, €160 all in ... Think I might have to look around online next time.

I'll put up a pick of the front sprocket once I get it off tomorrow

• Advertisement

Just a quick update after today!

Picked up my chain and sprockets today for €140. Got an X-ring chain in the end. Not sure if it was overkill on a 250cc commuter bike but the last one I had lasted the full years riding doing about 400 miles a week.

Got the bike lifted to a friends garage in Dunshauglin and literally spent the whole day working on it there. The swing arm was f**ked beyond repair. Gave city spares a call and they sorted me out with a CB250 swing arm for €50 plus they threw in one of the adjusters with it! Happy days!

Things were going great until I then looked at the back wheel and realised that the chain had also taken chunks out of the nuts/bolts holding the back sprocket in place. Also while removing the swing arm I noticed some wear in one of the torque arm bolts that attaches to my drum brake unit.

hibQr6J.jpg

rKFZ8Vp.jpg

Where would I be able to pick up replacements for these ? Is there somewhere off the shelf or is online my best bet ? I also want to pick up a chain riveter as I had to use a split pin master link which I'm not very confidant in!

Advertisement