Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with mortgage deposit in savings account.

Options
  • 20-03-2015 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Posting on behalf of a family member. They are looking for a mortgage of roughly 50%/60% LTV with their bank. They have a sizeable deposit (clearly ;) ). It's their first mortgage.

Here's the rub. A large chunk of the mortgage deposit is (stupidly) in a 1 year fixed term savings account - in that same bank- and this account has a no break clause (it's in the terms and conditions, very clearly). They hasn't anticipated needing access so soon.

I think their borrowing capacity *should* cover the shortfall, but what if it doesn't???
    Is it possible that the bank may offer a "bridging" loan on the strength of the deposit, or might it allow them to close the Savings account (despite it being "not allowed")? or are they likely to lose out on the mortgage/house here and have to wait.

Any advice welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Isn't this a question that should be asked at the bank!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

yes, I just wanted to get an idea before they went in though. Seems the bank will break it for them, but it's unclear if there will be a penalty

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

yes, I just wanted to get an idea before they went in though. Seems the bank will break it for them, but it's unclear if there will be a penalty

Usually when breaking the term the only penalty is that you lose any interest you would have accrued. The actual money you put in isn't affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The penalty for breaking a fixed term is lost of interest. I dont understand people who are taking out fixed term savings accounts at the moment. You can get 4% with a regular saver account from Nationwide UK Ireland, with 2 withdrawals each year. You wont get anywhere close with that with fixed term. Or KBC offers 1.5% on demand

Advertisement