Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eunonymus japonica..

• 20-03-2015 3:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I've an area ready for planting a hedge and being in costal area have decided to go with eunonymus japonica.. I got a price from a guy of €5 a plant for 1ft plant.. I've been told the spacing is 1.5 ft apart for hedge and have big area to cover. Does any 1 know where I could a bit better price wise please..? I've called around locally but hard to come by as apparently they r slow growers ..? Thanks for any advice.. Regards rambojon.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

Hi again guys, is it that hard to come by.. I've asked around locally but no 1 seems to be doing it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

rambojon wrote: »
    Hi again guys, is it that hard to come by.. I've asked around locally but no 1 seems to be doing it!!

Wouldn't be commonly used as a hedging plant, have you thought about grisellina, widely available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

How many Plants do you require. And where are you roughly

And I agree with rje66 not very common

Hi rj.. I have seen neighbours with well establish eunn japonica .. And it's the only one they say will withstand the wind burn and waxy leaves combat the saltspray.... Grisillenia wouldn't stand a chance with the almost constant breeze. I could try growing from clippings but as it's a slow starter it will take me yrs to get estab.. And was hoping to get it somewhere with a few yrs head start ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

How about Escallonia or Olearia? Privet would also be fine and I personally think Griselinia would be fine too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

We planted a White leafed euonymus three summers ago and it's still the same size.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    How about Escallonia or Olearia? Privet would also be fine and I personally think Griselinia would be fine too.
    I spoke to some locals and some tried and tested swear by eu non jap.. I would b all for an evergreen that gives shelter .. The slow growth concerns me and that's why I'm on here to source estab plants.. If they're out there..? Thanks for responses.

Advertisement