Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldfish Fin Rot in Garden Pond

Options
  • 20-03-2015 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

The largest goldfish in our outside pond has what looks like fin rot. It is the biggest and oldest fish in the pond, maybe 10 years old. There is a greyish mark on its tail fin, about the size of a 2 euro coin.

Its slow and tends to lie on its side for a bit.

The pond is about 8 feet by 6 feet, shallow enough, probably 8 inches deep at deepest point.

The pond is also full of frogspawn right now, with loads of frogs (who killed a good few fish during mating time),

Should I take the sick goldfish out and treat separately? Or does the whole pond need treated?

I guess the pond needs dredged as well?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Might be fungus rather than finrot.

Finrot looks like the tail is in tatters, what you're describing sounds more like a fungus. It might be an infection. It could be due to the frogs, the males can get a bit amorous at spawning time, they grab onto fish and clamp down on the gill covers causing them to suffocate (probably what killed your one).

Not a lot you can do about the frogs, I'm pretty sure there's a protection order on all frogs anyway. The fish will thin out the numbers of tadpoles once they hatch though.

8 inches deep sound very very shallow, is that 8 inches currently (due to all the crap that needs to be dredged?) or was it built to a depth of 8 inches?

You might be better off treating the entire pond, if it's as shallow and full of muck as you say it might be easier to treat it for now. If it was me, I'd treat the entire pond, wait a few months til the weather warms up and then drain it, clean out the crap, and refill. I've done it before (it's going to smell) but it's worth it. The fish have the rest of the summer to fatten up for the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Thanks for the very thorough and helpful reply. That is very kind of you. :)

Yes Id say you are spot on and it probably is fungus. And indeed, the pond should probably deeper because of the build up of waste and leaves and things. And correct again, the frog spawn did leave a scummy, oily looking residue on the pond surface. And indeed, I'm in regular contact with the Frog Protection Ireland and following their advice, so the frog spawn and frogs stay put!

Should I take the obvious sick fish out in pond water and treat him in an isolation pond to give him a better chance to recover?

Thanks for you brilliant advice and observations, boards "rocks" in times like these!

I'm always reluctant to remove a fish from a pond unless you really have to....

If the fish is any sort of a decent size you're going to need a big tank to treat him in. If he's 10 years old I'm guessing he's about a foot long? Have you a tank that can comfortably hold him, ideally it's empty of all other fish as you don't want to infect them.
    *edit* just saw you mentioned an isolation pond. If you have a 2nd pond then that might be ideal, cleaner water, more control etc.

On top of that you'll have to catch him, it might be easy if he's a little listless as you say (in which case the prognosis in't great) but if he's anyway fast, the stress of catching him might be too much for him. Plus you'll probably still up all the crud in the water and it might be tricky to see him.

Treating goldfish is never all that simple, what works one time may not work the next. If you end up moving it, I'd apply a touch of the anti fungal directly to the affected area and then dose the isolation pond.
    If the fish is eating you could try a higher quality food alongside an anti fungal treatment. I've had success feeding maggots to pond fish (only the white ones, the red ones are dyed) in the past but that was mainly with Koi. If he's not eating then he might be on the way out.

If you wait til you see froglets out of the pond then you can fire ahead and dredge the existing pond. From memory that should be about May or June. Clear out the crap and maybe look at putting in a filtration system if you haven't got one already.

Thanks so much for the advice. The kids are very fond of him so I'd like to try my best to give him his best chance of recovery. Many thanks!!

Saturday morning I isolated the fish in larger tank and treated the water for fungal infection.

Sunday morning he had picked up a good bit and swimming around, but still stopping and going head down at times . Fungus still on tail (look a bit cotton wooly). The directions said if condition persists to re-treat the water, which I did.

Monday: He his swimming perfectly normal now and (apart from some fungal infection still on tail), he looks very fit and active.

Should I keep him in the tank until the fungus disappears? Should I re-treat the water again today? (I don't want to kill him by over treating the water).

Or should he go back into the main pond? (Which I treated as well and part changed water).

We are all delighted that he is on the mend. Once again many thanks for your advice. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

What are you treating with? If it's eSHa 2000 I'd suggest leaving it in the tank until you've completed a 5 day treatment course.

I'd also do a 10-20% daily water change just before dosing the tank each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Keep treating as per directions of the medicine you're using. Also keep and eye out on the other fish sharing the pond; fungi tend to be very infectious and spread fairly quickly so I wouldn't re introduce the fish until everything has cleared and you are sure the other fish are showing no sign of infection.
    otherwise you run the risk of getting stuck in an infectious loop. Good luck!

To be honest folks, and I'm embarrassed by this, but its clearly my reduction in water changing in the pond due to metering installation. Hopefully I've gotten away with it with no losses and I've learned a lesson. Many thanks for your help.

Kettleson wrote: »
    To be honest folks, and I'm embarrassed by this, but its clearly my reduction in water changing in the pond due to metering installation. Hopefully I've gotten away with it with no losses and I've learned a lesson. Many thanks for your help.

If you set up proper filtration you'll be ok with occasional top ups of pond water. You won't have to do water changes.

If you set up proper filtration you'll be ok with occasional top ups of pond water. You won't have to do water changes.

I'll do that, we inherited the pond when we moved to a new house so I was new to pond management. Many thanks.

• Advertisement

I have treated the goldfish for 6 days, and changing water.

He is still in isolation tank and today I have noticed the tips of his pelvic fins have gone white at the tips.

The fungal infection was on both sides just before tail fin. One side the fungal growth has started to come away and has revealed a bit of redness underneath?

And the fungal growth on other side seems to have changed little.

But he's livelier and not leaning to one side as before.

Working out his age, he is probably about 12 years old at least, possibly older.

Any opinions? If he goes back in the main pond, is the fungal infection still contagious? Is he just on his way out?

Thanks.

Can you maybe post pic? It would be easier to evaluate!

photos

Ps: Photo 2 shows where the fungal growth has started to come away from the body. The fungal growth on right hand side shows no sign (as yet) of coming away. I'll keep up treatment as suggested. Thanks

I wouldn't be worried yet.

He seems ok, 12 years is nothing for a goldfish, they can live longer than we can.

His body colour seems a little light (although that may be either the lighting or his natural colour).

If he's eating well and seems to be recovering then keep doing what you're doing.

Thanks el statutorio. They can live longer than humans!!! :eek::D:D

Yes, he's always been that colour. He's def' picked up and got's lots more energy and swimming normally.

None of the fish in the main pond have started showing much interest in eating yet, the pond is in shade and doesn't start heating up for another week or two.

Its great to get some opinions and advice. I'll be sorting the pond out as soon as the weather picks up a bit.

We much appreciate your advice, thank you.

Back with his mates in the pond today. Looks all clear but I'l be keeping an eye on things and doing a clean out. Thanks for your help! :)

Advertisement