Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Scotland v Ireland, Murrayfield, Sat 2.30pm **See Mod Warning Post #1**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

If rory best and his mates dont want the anthem they should fcuk off.

take your own advice ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Wang King wrote: »
    Regardless of someones provincial leaning, Sexton had 2 kicks to put Ireland into a winning position re the Welsh result, and he knew it. I think even he will come out later and say that was in the back of his mind and maybe upset his normal rhythm

This is rubbish. Every kick has the potential to be a match winner or loser. Madigan's miss at the end was the difference between England needing 6 points and 9 points and at least a year of my life.

It's so easy to look back and point to which incident we think cost or won us a match. If I was to pick a moment that lost us the Welsh match then it would be the misfield of the first kick off.

But it's all bollocks really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

no more about anthems please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

rrpc wrote: »
    This is rubbish. Every kick has the potential to be a match winner or loser. Madigan's miss at the end was the difference between England needing 6 points and 9 points and at least a year of my life.

It's so easy to look back and point to which incident we think cost or won us a match. If I was to pick a moment that lost us the Welsh match then it would be the misfiled of the first kick off.

But it's all bollocks really.

It patently isn't rubbish, but don't let that stop you,
    When you're kicking your mistakes are amplified, he made 2 mistakes in a match winning performance, its not a criticism of him, or a snipe, just an observation that he's human like the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If I had to choose one moment today that was most likely to cost us the title it was the abortion of a line out that gave Scotland possession for their try. Complete screw up by the pack.

But I don't. So I won't. Cause we're champions. Again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

RuggieBear wrote: »
    no more about anthems please

Always partial to the Polish one myself, now that's a song to stir the sinews :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Outscored by the two competitors but today our defence was better than either of them. That's where we've won the championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

If ifs and buts were coconuts...

Jeez lads some of ye are never happy!

It patently isn't rubbish, but don't let that stop you,
    When you're kicking your mistakes are amplified, he made 2 mistakes in a match winning performance, its not a criticism of him, or a snipe, just an observation that he's human like the rest of us

Of course it is. You're making massive assumptions including getting inside his head and telling us what he's 'really' thinking.

Buer wrote: »
    If I had to choose one moment today that was most likely to cost us the title it was the abortion of a line out that gave Scotland possession for their try. Complete screw up by the pack.

But I don't. So I won't. Cause we're champions. Again.

Or if Heaslip hadn't swung his arm around and knocked the ball out of Hogg's grasp...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Of course it is. You're making massive assumptions including getting inside his head and telling us what he's 'really' thinking.

Ah , we shall just agree to disagree and leave it at that then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Sexton clearly suffers from pressure kicks. Yes, if he missed two that he kicked, we would have lost but the two he missed were the highest pressure ones. Someone said Ford missed a few kicks. But he nailed the pressure kicks that he knew were so so important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

If rory best and his mates dont want the anthem they should fcuk off.

banned

I'm willing to bet Rory Best has done more for Ireland than you could dream of.

closeline wrote: »
    Sexton clearly suffers from pressure kicks. Yes, if he missed two that he kicked, we would have lost but the two he missed were the highest pressure ones. Someone said Ford missed a few kicks. But he nailed the pressure kicks that he knew were so so important.

Ford missed a penalty in the first ten minutes that would have had them ten nil ahead and meant that they would have only needed a penalty at the end to win the championship.

That was a pressure kick right there, early in the game when they needed to build a lead. But you don't think he 'bottled' it?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

We have just won back to back championships for the first time in donkey's years. Can't we just enjoy this without discussion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I was just thinking earlier, Paul O'Connell is just a frickin' legend. I mean we call players legends and bestow greatness on guys, some of whom maybe don't really deserve it, but I genuinely can't think of anyone more deserving of the term legend than POC.

What a man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

As an Irish man in Liverpool I have never so much looked forward to work on a Monday morning.

lads in work slating me about the welsh result last week..

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

bilston wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet Rory Best has done more for Ireland than you could dream of.

Just ignore.... he's been banned anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Feel a bit for Zebo. For the first three games he was asked to chase and ruck hard and he did that very well. Then a bad game against Wales gets him dropped and he misses the first performance that actually saw Ireland go wide with purpose. Think he would've thrived in today's side. Unfortunately for him Fitz had a very good game and may have taken the World Cup starting my place from him (fitness depending ofc).

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭UnitedWeStand

Clegg wrote: »
    Feel a bit for Zebo. For the first three games he was asked to chase and ruck hard and he did that very well. Then a bad game against Wales gets him dropped and he misses the first performance that actually saw Ireland go wide with purpose. Think he would've thrived in today's side. Unfortunately for him Fitz had a very good game and may have taken the World Cup starting my place from him (fitness depending ofc).

I think Zebo and Fitzy both have the so called 'x-factor'. Zebo has pace to burn and terrific feet. Fitz has the step, but what was important today was his hands. His ability to play in the centre shown today with a superb offload to a supporting player whos name has escaped me now.

Joe certainly will take everything into consideration. Both are great wingers, we're blessed in this position.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »

We'll need a good few wingers at the RWC, don't forget Trimble and D. Kearney would also be in with a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Ford missed a penalty in the first ten minutes that would have had them ten nil ahead and meant that they would have only needed a penalty at the end to win the championship.

That was a pressure kick right there, early in the game when they needed to build a lead. But you don't think he 'bottled' it?
    Ford nailed the pressure kicks. For a 22 year old that was seriously impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Didn't sexton nail the last kick? Want that the pressure kick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

It's easy to call someone a bottler from the comfort of your couch. I really wish people would stop engaging with posters who post such nonsense. You're literally feeding their madness. Best to ignore it and let them fade into their insignificance

bilston wrote: »
    I was just thinking earlier, Paul O'Connell is just a frickin' legend. I mean we call players legends and bestow greatness on guys, some of whom maybe don't really deserve it, but I genuinely can't think of anyone more deserving of the term legend than POC.

What a man!!
    Greatest leader of men we have seen. Incredible person who comes as a fantastic motivator.

Martyn Williams said he was the best Captain he played under, all from 6 weeks on a Lions tour in 2009. Matfield said he was the best opponent he ever faced.

http://www.emeraldrugby.com/News/Blogs/AdamBlog/Jones-hails--gifted-leader--O-Connell.aspx

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/irish/2014/1104/656857-matfield/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Tobyglen wrote:
    Ford nailed the pressure kicks. For a 22 year old that was seriously impressive.
    Eh? It's noted that the weak part of his game is his goal kicking. He was about 70% for the tournament before today which is well below what's expected of an international goal kicker. Those were kicks when the pressure was on and off.

Fantastic player all the same but not a noted goal kicker at any level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

What a day of rugby viewing - time well wasted.

Incredible technique from Heaslip to deny Hogg. I thought the throw was crooked at the line out but no matter.

Our scrum was solid this year even when Ross left the field. We've come on quite a bit in that department. Good to see Payne getting a try although he was lucky not be carded on that high ball.

All credit to the six teams today. For the three not at the races, it must have been hard to stay focused. I was like Gollum in front of the screen here, one minute applauding the French for their wonderful breaks and the next shrieking denunciations at their treacherous defensive lapses. A simultaneous start would have been fairer but this was marvellous TV.

On the kicking, do top kickers miss right and left just as often? Johnny seems to push his kicks to the right more frequently?

Buer wrote: »
    Eh? It's noted that the weak part of his game is his goal kicking. He was about 70% for the tournament before today which is well below what's expected of an international goal kicker. Those were kicks when the pressure was on and off.

Fantastic player all the same but not a noted goal kicker at any level.
    Under immense pressure for a 22 year old in his breakthrough season he has been superb. Today his goal kicking was like a seasoned pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Tobyglen wrote: »
    Greatest leader of men we have seen. Incredible person who comes as a fantastic motivator.

Martyn Williams said he was the best Captain he played under, all from 6 weeks on a Lions tour in 2009. Matfield said he was the best opponent he ever faced.

http://www.emeraldrugby.com/News/Blogs/AdamBlog/Jones-hails--gifted-leader--O-Connell.aspx

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/irish/2014/1104/656857-matfield/

Amazingly his carrying is getting better and better. I thought it used to be a slight weakpoint and would be worried he'd be turned over when taking into contact. Not anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

Ardillaun wrote: »
    What a day of rugby viewing - time well wasted.

Incredible technique from Heaslip to deny Hogg. I thought the throw was crooked at the line out but no matter.

Our scrum was solid this year even when Ross left the field. We've come on quite a bit in that department. Good to see Payne getting a try although he was lucky not be carded on that high ball.

All credit to the six teams today. For the three not at the races, it must have been hard to stay focused. I was like Gollum in front of the screen here, one minute applauding the French for their wonderful breaks and the next shrieking denunciations at their treacherous defensive lapses. A simultaneous start would have been fairer but this was marvellous TV.

On the kicking, do top kickers miss right and left just as often? Johnny seems to push his kicks to the right more frequently?

It was crooked, but Ireland didn't compete in the air so it can't be called as far as I know.

It was crooked, but Ireland didn't compete in the air so it can't be called as far as I know.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Sensational day....it will be talked about for years and delighted for the team.

Dicipline and defense won us the championship.

I think as a whole Rob Kearney and Devin Toner were well below par all tournsment. Petty we dont have a replacement for kearney. I think Payne will stay at 13.

Scrum was better than expected in the championship but line out needs to improve. We lost too many crucial line outs last 2 games.

Sexton just had an off game today from the tee. I've no doubt he can pressure kick come world cup.

POC, Henshaw and Payne overall had great tournaments.

Come world cup Care and Forde can put pressure for the best 9/10 combo on the world if they can get their consistance right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It just wasn't called by the ref; the throw-in has to be straight regardless of whether the other team competes or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Murray Kinsella won't be getting a lot of sleep tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Sensational day....it will be talked about for years and delighted for the team.

Dicipline and defense won us the championship.

I think as a whole Rob Kearney and Devin Toner were well below par all tournsment. Petty we dont have a replacement for kearney. I think Payne will stay at 13.

Scrum was better than expected in the championship but line out needs to improve. We lost too many crucial line outs last 2 games.

Sexton just had an off game today from the tee. I've no doubt he can pressure kick come world cup.

POC, Henshaw and Payne overall had great tournaments.

Come world cup Care and Forde can put pressure for the best 9/10 combo on the world if they can get their consistance right.

care ?? Youngs has had two motm games , guy was unreal today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Some people seem to be getting very carried away with a couple of decent half back performances this year and then perform a full 360 degree turn. Murray and Sexton went from best half back partnership in the world after England to average after Wales in some peoples eyes. England, Ireland and Wales all have good half backs but the 6 nations is what it is. The World Cup will show the level these lads are at in the broader scheme of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Obligatory just in from the match post. We decided (like many) to stay on at Murrayfield to watch the England game. Most of the Irish players seemed to be kicking around the area outside the west stand where we were rather than staying inside to watch the game during the first half.

Credit to the SRU for getting the stadium sorted after the match to let us back into the stands to watch the second half on the big screen and to see the trophy presentation in front of us in the west stand. It was surreal sitting in a mostly empty stadium glued to a game on the screens being played somewhere else with the BBC commentary being pumped in on the sound system - but there was an unbelievable atmosphere in there - must have been close to 10,000 Irish fans in the stand.

They started building the trophy presentation podium in front of us ten minutes before the end of the other game, it would have been some come down had England got over for that last try...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Indeed fair play to the SRFU I was expecting the players to be dodging tumbleweed during the presentation, was lovely to see so many fans in there. Hope ye enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Flipper22 wrote: »
    We can't know why he missed. In the end he did put us ahead of Wales with a penalty, would you not agree that that goes against your argument?

Most kickers miss a kick or two in most games. Jonny is approximately an 80% kicker; not as good as some, but as good or better than most in test rugby, and as good a goal kicker as we've had. Today he kicked approx 80%, with perhaps a dodgy hammy. In most close matches, if the losing teams kicker had not missed any kicks they'd have won. This applies to any team. Today we won the championship, and your still nitpicking at Jonny for not being an exceptional international goal kicker.

It's hard to escape the feeling that you're desperate to criticise him for any reason. This puts you in the same bracket as those who think Zebo can't defend, or Earls is useless, or Heaslip is a showpony/Houdini.

I would take ROG above him for goal kicking, but Sexton is clearly the better OH between them. I do agree that sometimes he botches pressure kicks, but he is clearly one of, if not the, best OH in the game right now and a class act all around. I would take him above any OH with better kicking in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's mad how much "sheen" the amazing entertainment of the day has added to the championship victory - I suspect I wasn't alone last week in being gutted about Ireland losing the grand slam, and somewhat less impressed with the idea of another 6N title, but today felt like a freaking war or something, and it makes that title all the sweeter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

To be fair whenever he has missed one he usually comes back to nail the next one bar the NZ game where he never got another chance.

It may be fair to say he doesn't quite have ROG/JW levels of ice running through his veins standing over the pressure kicks (few do), but he has nailed a good few in his time as well it must be noted, his overall success rate is good enough for international level and he brings plenty more to the table in general play.

Jesus lads! Can someone not help me out and get Joe Duffys number, this poor guy is going to shït his pants

And then be the first to moan about a lack of fight in the team without Rory Best around. :p

P_1 wrote: »
    Always partial to the Polish one myself, now that's a song to stir the sinews :P

Chile's at the opening game(edit) of the football world cup... *shivers*

Just had to throw that out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭homecouldbhere

and then perform a full 360 degree turn.

This drives me fckin nuts...a full 360 degree turn means you go back to what you were doing all along...i.e.no different. (Think about it; turn a full circle, you're back where you started; back doing what you started doing in the first place.)
    If you're trying to make the point I think you're trying to make, then what you mean to say is 'perform a 180 degree turn' which means doing the opposite to what you started doing; or a 'U-turn'.

duckysauce wrote: »
    care ?? Youngs has had two motm games , guy was unreal today

He must be up there with any SH in the world when it comes to breaks. The man requires special marking to stop him getting clean away.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭tughfc

Today was the most orgasmic day of my life. (Hard feat to beat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I'm delighted for SOB, if any man deserves a 6N medal it's him.

It's a discussion for another day but I do worry about Sexton for crunch kicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

marco_polo wrote: »
    Indeed fair play to the SRFU I was expecting the players to be dodging tumbleweed during the presentation, was lovely to see so many fans in there. Hope ye enjoyed it.

Fair play to Scotland Rugby and the Murrayfield staff! The whole day was great loads of entertainment laid on and lletting us back in for the presentation!

Still not able!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭A-Train

What a day of rugby, was at a wedding where the venue had no tv's, so to try a combo of streaming on the phone and listening on the radio, the dirty looks I was getting for shouting at a phone especially during the meal!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Scythica

Watched it in England, myself and 2 solitary french supporters outnumbered by a thousand or so english and welsh....

Best. Day. EVER

• Advertisement
Advertisement