Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God of War 3 Remastered (PS4)

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Saw a comparison video there. Not a whole lot of changes but then as said, it doesn't really need them. The digital foundry article will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's gets frighteningly dull after the opening spectacle.

I don't know, I still think it's a lot of fun. GoW2 would be the pinnacle (never played Ascension) but I remember really enjoying 3 also.

• tok9 wrote: »
    I don't know, I still think it's a lot of fun. GoW2 would be the pinnacle (never played Ascension) but I remember really enjoying 3 also.

I have just finished a playthrough of the first God of War 1 (PS3 Collection)
    It has a lot more puzzles thrown into the mix which breaks up the combat.

I agree though God of War 2 was the best.

I have just started Ascension and have noted that some of the combat has been tweaked so still trying to get used to it.
    For a PS3 game it still looks visually impressive.

I made the Point earlier if Accension and GOW3 were bundled then a 40 euro price tag could but justified.
    There was an article I read last night and it stated the PS4 port was completed by a two man team :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's gets frighteningly dull after the opening spectacle.

I couldn't get over how dull and tedious the rest of the game was. Visually stunning but sorely lacking in everything else.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• I couldn't get over how dull and tedious the rest of the game was. Visually stunning but sorely lacking in everything else.

To it's credit some of the boss battles are entertaining though (however sometime overly reliant on QTE's)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    To it's credit some of the boss battles are entertaining though (however sometime overly reliant on QTE's)

I can think of worse games of course but due to the lack of anything new it just seemed to highlight the series' flaws such as the aforementioned QTE's.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I felt all the work went into that opening area. It hit it's peak way too early. After the stunning opening everything else was just walking through corridors killing the same enemies other than that one titan scene later which still couldn't match the beginning of the game. GoW2 started big but kind of kept that spectacle going throughout and had some interesting boss fights whereas GoW3 was kind of poor in that area. There's also the fact that since GoW2 we had Devil May Cry 4 and then even more significantly Bayonetta the year before, God of War's dull fighting engine just felt so archaic and simple in comparison and Bayonetta kind of out did it when it came to keeping the spectacle going throughout the game.

For me when there's games like Bayonetta and Revengeance out there there's no excuse for a poor combat system like in GoW or a 'Batman' combat system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think there a narrative and thematic argument to be made that God of War needs to have a combat systems that is less elegant, more brute force than the likes of Bayonetta and DMC. Kratos is so narrow minded a character, driven by primal emotion (emotions would be a bit strong), that it fits that his fighting style fits. Bayonetta's fighting style fits the character, as does Kratos'.

That's not to say it's any fun to play over long periods (I've always found the series underwhelming to be frank), but devils advocate and all that :pac:

Nothing wrong with having a brutal battle system but there's so much more that can be done to actually give it some mechanical depth. There's a lot of potential there. I just wish they would also get rid of the character fo Kratos. He reached he end of his story arc in the first game and all you have left since 2 is the a man baby having a very violent temper tantrum.

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with having a brutal battle system but there's so much more that can be done to actually give it some mechanical depth. There's a lot of potential there. I just wish they would also get rid of the character fo Kratos. He reached he end of his story arc in the first game and all you have left since 2 is the a man baby having a very violent temper tantrum.

:pac::pac:

So true! his winging really gets annoying after a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

He reached he end of his story arc in the first game and all you have left since 2 is the a man baby having a very violent temper tantrum.

From 2 onwards his character arc is basically, I'm bored so going to take over from the boss by being a dick. Then he gets his ass deservedly spanked for being a bellend and then he continues being a bellend. In 2 it was just an excuse to get to the next ridiculous set piece but 3 tried to take itself seriously and it all fell apart.

Advertisement