Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G 4G 2nd Generation available for pre-order

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭Damien360

it is a pity the exchange rate is so poor. It is available as dual sim for some time. Are the specs the same ? Not enough spec detail in both amazon ads

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-5-Inch-Stock-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Black/dp/B00NBSZ56C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426876689&sr=8-1&keywords=moto+g+second+generation

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Its been available in CPW in the UK since March 16th
    Same price:
    http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phones/moto-g-4g-2nd-gen/handset?colourCode=MULTI

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

As per CPW the phone comes with 8 GB internal memory which can't be true. Specs on all tech sites show 16 GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

soirish wrote: »
    Amazon is launching the new Moto G 4G 2nd Generation on March 29th. Moto G 4G was an amazing phone and the successor looks very promising - bigger screen, bigger battery and better camera.

www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-5-Inch-Generation-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Black/dp/B00UJAP24A/

hubba hubba...! :D
    but the first generation was ok, not amazing... terrible battery though. but im still happy enough with the rest of it!

soirish wrote: »
    As per CPW the phone comes with 8 GB internal memory which can't be true. Specs on all tech sites show 16 GB.
    i think its true, there must be an 8gb and a 16gb phone... ;)

exchange rate is so bad too...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

First gen was awful. Snapdragon 400/1GB RAM + Android = awful background task killing (running music player over bluetooth in the background, even a heavy chrome tab would cause the music player to be killed. Nevermind trying to use google maps + bluetooth).

Battery was ****, screen was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Toast

Tragedy wrote: »
    First gen was awful. Snapdragon 400/1GB RAM + Android = awful background task killing (running music player over bluetooth in the background, even a heavy chrome tab would cause the music player to be killed. Nevermind trying to use google maps + bluetooth)

This is known software bug not a hardware issue. The memory optimiser was set too aggressive. It's fixed in lollipop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

1gb of ram kills it for me.

Needs 2 at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Not much of an upgrade, shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

not sure that its dual sim either - if thats a deal breaker for people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

thierry14 wrote: »
    1gb of ram kills it for me.

Needs 2 at that price.

I'm noticing the difference in my moto g 2nd gen coming from a nexus 4. I would have gladly paid a extra for the extra ram.

Jet Black wrote: »
    I'm noticing the difference in my moto g 2nd gen coming from a nexus 4. I would have gladly paid a extra for the extra ram.

As I mentioned before there is a software issue with Kitkat 4.4.4 on the Moto G which makes it terrible at multitasking. The article linked is innacurate about it not being fixed in Lollipop (the first test variation still had it but the actual release of lollipop 5.0.2 hasn't). Nothing wrong with more memory but when the Moto G is actually using 1 GB correctly it operates extremely well for the price point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Toast wrote: »
    This is known software bug not a hardware issue. The memory optimiser was set too aggressive. It's fixed in lollipop.

I 'fixed' it myself by rooting and using a buildprop editor. It's still ****ing awful.

As I mentioned before there is a software issue with Kitkat 4.4.4 on the Moto G which makes it terrible at multitasking. The article linked is innacurate about it not being fixed in Lollipop (the first test variation still had it but the actual release of lollipop 5.0.2 hasn't). Nothing wrong with more memory but when the Moto G is actually using 1 GB correctly it operates extremely well for the price point.

has lollipop been rolled out to moto g 4g 1st gen? sim free model and its still on 4.4.4?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

not sure that its dual sim either - if thats a deal breaker for people

It's single SIM in the UK market.

https://www.motorola.co.uk/consumers/moto-g-gen2-gb/Moto-G-4G-%282nd-Gen.%29/motorola-g-gb-pdp.html#specs-motorola-g-gb

3G: Dual micro-SIM
    4G: micro-SIM - Single SIM

has lollipop been rolled out to moto g 4g 1st gen? sim free model and its still on 4.4.4?

AFAIK all 3G Moto Gs should have it now? The 4G model hasn't got it officially yet but I signed up for the Motorola early adopters program and have it on the 4G as of last week. RAM management is a lot better. I used to have an IRC client program that would be killed if I did any significant browsing consistently but it's been rock solid since the lollipop upgrade. If you can't wait CyanogenMod can be put on to give you lollipop now... or you can root your 4.4.4 phone and try the memory hack mentioned above (though doesn't sound like it worked for that user).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

You might have to activate it in settings-->About Phone-->System Updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,352 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Still not for me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

Is it possible to buy this phone in the shops in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭wilser

This is working out at about €210 before postage, would the huawei ascend g7 not be a better buy @ €230 in Carphone warehouse?

• Advertisement

You might have to activate it in settings-->About Phone-->System Updates.

no it says its up to date at 4.4.4.
    AFAIK all 3G Moto Gs should have it now? The 4G model hasn't got it officially yet but I signed up for the Motorola early adopters program and have it on the 4G as of last week..... If you can't wait CyanogenMod can be put on to give you lollipop now... or you can root your 4.4.4 phone and try the memory hack mentioned above (though doesn't sound like it worked for that user).

Sounds great! Where is this motorola early adopters program??
    I dont fancy trying to root the phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭T-Bird

wilser wrote: »
    This is working out at about €210 before postage, would the huawei ascend g7 not be a better buy @ €230 in Carphone warehouse?

230?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭wilser

T-Bird wrote: »
    230?

Was in cpw in Crumlin, and the g7 was advertised at €230

Sounds great! Where is this motorola early adopters program??
    I dont fancy trying to root the phone...

You might be too late to register to be applicable for the Lollipop test but good to be on it to get a chance of testing newer releases. https://forums.motorola.com/posts/77d4221775

Advertisement