Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Cot to Bed

Options
  • 20-03-2015 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of moving my 2 year old from his cot to a bed, second baby due in October so want to give him plenty of time to adjust.
    Does anyone have any stories to tell? Any tips?
    He's sleeping well, done teething and only wakes if unwell really. We've just dropped the dummy too and that went well.
    Haven't bought his bed yet so open to all suggestions!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

poconnor16 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of moving my 2 year old from his cot to a bed, second baby due in October so want to give him plenty of time to adjust.
    Does anyone have any stories to tell? Any tips?
    He's sleeping well, done teething and only wakes if unwell really. We've just dropped the dummy too and that went well.
    Haven't bought his bed yet so open to all suggestions!

This could well be the bed he is sleeping in when he is a 6'4 18 year old. Make sure you get one big(long) enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Depending on rooms and space you might want to consider a double bed. We had 3 rooms, ours, the baby room and the last with a double bed which we moved our oldest into when she was a toddler. Having a double bed was great when she was sick, we could sleep in with her. Or when she comes into us in the night one of us can go into hers if we're feeling cramped.Or if she was awake in the night we could lie down with her and settle her. It just gave more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Yep if u have space a double bed. We moved our daughter at 17mnths to a toddler bed. We moved her early as i was pregnant with bad spd and couldnt lift her. It went fine. She didnt fall out as we had little rails on it.
    She will be 3 next month and we just recently bought a double bed for her. We had no spare bed so if she was sick she landed in with us and no one got sleep. At least now if she is unwell one of us can go in to her.

No tips re the changr. Just pop a duvet or pillow on the floor incase of falls anf make sure the room is completly baby proofed.
    She just got in went to sleep. But we did find as the brighter evenings came in she played a bit as she could see. So we ended up taking out any toys that make noise and she soon wasnt as bothered anymore

We did the same with a duvet on the floor and actually the safety rail fit on our double bed. It didn't come up as high because the mattress is thick but it would be enough to help.

Also depending on age and character you might want to put a stair gate on the door. We did when ours were in the baby room with no side on the cot as ours would have wandered!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Double bed here too, with safety rails. He could be in any corner of the bed some nights and hasn't managed to fall out yet.

And we can snuggle up comfortably And get a halfway decent sleep if he wants or needs one of us there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We left it a night or two before getting safety rails and she seemed to be aware of the sides and has only fallen out once. Didn't bother with them in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

We never bothered with safety rails either. We just put the cot mattress on the floor on one side of the bed and a folded up duvet on the other side. She fell out once or twice but has been fine since.

Xdancer wrote: »
    We never bothered with safety rails either. We just put the cot mattress on the floor on one side of the bed and a folded up duvet on the other side. She fell out once or twice but has been fine since.

This happens when the rails come off anyway - think it takes them a while to get used to having an edge of the bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

theLuggage wrote: »
    This happens when the rails come off anyway - think it takes them a while to get used to having an edge of the bed!

I agree. Not having the rails get them to learn the art of not falling out of the bed sooner!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Such helpful tips guys, thank you all for your posts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭derb12

My little guy had a plastic workbench and toolset and "helped" assemble his new bed - a lovely occasion and if made him even keener on the transition!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

My 17 month old is on a double mattress on floor. Works great as I have no fear of him hurting himself. Also don't have to worry about him crawling under the bed/dust gathering under there etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Single bed here that has another single bed underneath it. That can be pulled out and put up as an extra bed or just pulled out to break any falls. Great for sleep overs or if child is sick but also means you still have lots of floor space as the spare bed is hidden away.

Advertisement