Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documents not saved?

Options
  • 20-03-2015 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

So I have a WD portable harddrive.
    I still haven't learned (I must be very stupid) but last night spent an hour preparing something for work & today, it wasn't there!
    Checked computer when I came home, can see it in recent files but when I click on it it says it's a shortcut thats not available anymore.
    Now, I will confess my sins - I don't eject the portable correctly (eject on the desktop bar at bottom) I usually just pull it out after I've closed out of the documents, but I did this with my previous one and documents were always there!

Is it necessary to always eject correctly? (I'm guessing yes but go easy on me, it's been a long week!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

So I have a WD portable harddrive.
    I still haven't learned (I must be very stupid) but last night spent an hour preparing something for work & today, it wasn't there!
    Checked computer when I came home, can see it in recent files but when I click on it it says it's a shortcut thats not available anymore.
    Now, I will confess my sins - I don't eject the portable correctly (eject on the desktop bar at bottom) I usually just pull it out after I've closed out of the documents, but I did this with my previous one and documents were always there!

Is it necessary to always eject correctly? (I'm guessing yes but go easy on me, it's been a long week!)

Some people say its okay to just yank it out but I always eject (best practice and all that)

There's a chance there is a .tmp file for your document. I can't remember off hand where you can access them but if you google you'll find that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Thanks, I'm not hopeful, because the first time this happened (document not saving even though I swore I saved it) someone suggested something but it didn't work,and I had to redo my work. So yes it has happened before but I'm an idiot and love making work for myself (unnecessary!) I don't really. I just didn't realise it was so fickle.

Thanks, I'm not hopeful, because the first time this happened (document not saving even though I swore I saved it) someone suggested something but it didn't work,and I had to redo my work. So yes it has happened before but I'm an idiot and love making work for myself (unnecessary!) I don't really. I just didn't realise it was so fickle.

I would always save my work to my PC/laptop first and just copy across to the removable media afterwards.

If it was a Word doc try this:

http://www.technicalcommunicationcen...-http://www.technicalcommunicationcen...-ms-word-2010/ms-word-2010/

I don't want to clog my laptop up though.Im a school teacher so have a fair bit of stuff, Word, PowerPoint,Flipcharts etc and it wasn't a Word doc this time. It was a Flipchart

I was wondering, is Google docs an option? I've never used it before, but is it possible to transfer ALL my files so they can be accessed from another computer? It would solve my over reliance on my hard drive.

The few documents I had done Thursday night aren't there. 'Shortcut not available' when I click on them from recent files.

Sickened.

Is it my harddrive or the user that's the problem?! I'd just buy another hard drive if I knew it'd fix the problem. I just think it might be me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Disable "write caching" in the properties for the drive, on the PC you create the docs on.

edit: On another note, do you have a backup ? Would it be ReallyReallyBad(TM) if your portable disk stopped working/got dropped/stolen ?

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Disable "write caching" in the properties for the drive, on the PC you create the docs on.

edit: On another note, do you have a backup ? Would it be ReallyReallyBad(TM) if your portable disk stopped working/got dropped/stolen ?

I have saved all my previous years on another external.

This year's work since September, I haven't saved...... :-/

I was spoilt for 7/8 years without any problems with my last external so I think I have gotten complacent!

Thank you for the reminder to do a back up! (Do I need a 'backup' external or how do people backup their stuff without clogging up laptop?)

I was spoilt for 7/8 years without any problems with my last external so I think I have gotten complacent!

Thank you for the reminder to do a back up! (Do I need a 'backup' external or how do people backup their stuff without clogging up laptop?)

You could backup to Google Drive. You get 5GB free. Personally I have my important files on my laptop and two different external drives (one stored in a mate's house close by)

You could backup to Google Drive. You get 5GB free. Personally I have my important files on my laptop and two different external drives (one stored in a mate's house close by)

Advertisement