Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit Attack...

• 20-03-2015 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi, I planted about 120 meters of Bare Root Griselinia Hedge a couple of months back and I`ve noticed a bit of scratching on the stems and half eaten leaves around. It`s definitely Rabbit Attack. Does anyone have any remedy for this, short of Fencing it off. There might be some kind of old remedies or mixtures that could be sprayed or spread on the plants to keep the rabbits away. Any help would be appreciated....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

I've found the best rabbit deterrent is a 3-foot-tall chicken-wire fence (1-inch mesh or smaller) with another 6 inches buried in the soil.

I've heard of varied success with odour repellents such as blood meal or powdered fox urine. These need to be reapplied frequently. If you can source spray-on taste repellents such as hot pepper spray then you can try - I've also heard of varied success with those. It must be put directly on the plants, so rabbits get a good taste of it. Also needs to be reapplied periodically.

What about a rifle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    I've found the best rabbit deterrent is a 3-foot-tall chicken-wire fence (1-inch mesh or smaller) with another 6 inches buried in the soil.

I've heard of varied success with odour repellents such as blood meal or powdered fox urine. These need to be reapplied frequently. If you can source spray-on taste repellents such as hot pepper spray then you can try - I've also heard of varied success with those. It must be put directly on the plants, so rabbits get a good taste of it. Also needs to be reapplied periodically.

What about a rifle?
    +1 To the chicken wire, all the other remedies are long term more time consuming.
    If the rabbit population isn't very big in the area you may get away without burying the wire, but for best results you should bury it.
    Also you should have planted beech or laurel, rabbits don't like them so much.

Advertisement