Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best data network?

Options
  • 20-03-2015 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I'm upgrading to a nice new Galaxy Note...just wondering about which network to go with. Am on 3, and they seem to do good packages because of the 'flex unit' system, and the 'unlimited' data. Vodafone have the Note Edge though, but their plans seem to give way more in terms of voice and text, which I don't use much, most of how I communicate now is through apps, using data!

Just wondering if people would have advice on whether it's best to stick with the 3 plans? I'm not too pushed if I get the Note over the Note edge...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

I'd be inclined to go with Vodafone as the others have all stung people with unlimited bills for data (e.g. Eircom €3,000 liveline caller). If you can keep on top of data and never go over then the others may give you a good deal. But based on the way they all treat their customers I would never go with anyone but Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Garathon

That's interesting, I've never had a problem, but then the package I'm on doesn't allow going over data, I actually have to buy a top-up to be able to use more once the flexi-units are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

The problem is usually with a mobile dongle and alerts are sent to the dongle device and the user has to have a bit of technical knowledge to assess the alerts. Plus there is no option to get the alert emailed or texted and they all refuse to put a cap in place once you go over your usage as far as I know. Both things would be easy to fix.

Just wanted to let you know about it as for me that unfortunately rules out all companies but one based on principle alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Garathon

Cool thanks! It's not something I'd considered, good input to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I'm with three atm. But I have been looking at other options too. From what I can see nobody compares to three for data. I like you would communicate through apps and rarely use voice and text. Other networks seem to have poor data allowances whereas three is unlimited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Depends on what you want:
    Vodafone -> Best service but highest price and smallest data bundles
    Three -> Cheapest prices/most generous bundles but oversubscribed network and worst data service
    Meteor -> Somewhere in between

Even though I listed Three as having the worst service I am still with them as I use a lot of data and bundles for prepaid services from other networks are a bit too small for my needs (and I am hoping the O2 network will help them improve performance).

If I was a more moderate user I would probably be with Meteor as I think they are striking the best balance (at least in the Dublin area - experience might be different elsewhere but I thing on average what I mentioned is valid).

Advertisement