Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the cause for the cracks on inside of the walls

Options
  • 20-03-2015 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Everyone. I am new to the forum so please forgive mistakes if any.
    Basically we are looking for a house to buy and recently have found ideal property.
    Its in Arklow in Woodlands Estate. everything seems fine in it exept for quite big cracks on the inside of the front wall. unfortunately i cant post pictures so ill try to describe best as i can. Cracks are in one bedroom on first floor in top left corner on the left from the window. they are running from top left corner of the window to the top left corner of the room and then running along side ceiling and wall which separates the houses. theres also a crack running down from middle of the window board behind radiator down to the floor. downstairs i also found a crack which is probably the same as one behind a radiator. the cracks are about 3mm wide, dont know how deep. i had a look outside and couldnt find any sign of them on the same spots, although found one minor crack on the other side of the same front wall. now i had walk through estate and found that almost all houses there had some sort of cracks outside. i also viewed another house earlier and found smaller cracks also.

My question is What is causing such a big cracks?

Now i know i should get a surveyor to view the property but we havent got sale agreed yet and i dont want to bring a guy into it before ill be sure i am getting it. i would really like to get this property so any sugestion on this problem is highly apreciated.
    Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

How old is the house?

Could be settlement, pyrite?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Celtic tiger house standard built on bog no doubt with foundations done by a first year apprentice no doubt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Celtic tiger house standard built on bog no doubt with foundations done by a first year apprentice no doubt.

no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The only way to know for sure OP is to get a professional to look at it, but from what you are describing I would be very hesitant to move forward with this property.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Cracks are in one bedroom on first floor in top left corner on the left from the window. they are running from top left corner of the window to the top left corner of the room and then running along side ceiling and wall which separates the houses. theres also a crack running down from middle of the window board behind radiator down to the floor.

3mm on the plasterboard is what you can see, if its a concrete house its far worse beneath. That crack described is beyond normal settlement. I wouldn't even bother with a survey, your wasting your money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 dalerireland

kceire wrote: »
    How old is the house?

Could be settlement, pyrite?

house was built in 2000-2002. i was told Arklow doesnt have pyrite problem. i live in north Dublin and have seen pyrite properties and it seems with pyrite it starts from the bottom of the house rather than from the top. but i could be all wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

house was built in 2000-2002. i was told Arklow doesnt have pyrite problem. i live in north Dublin and have seen pyrite properties and it seems with pyrite it starts from the bottom of the house rather than from the top. but i could be all wrong.

Pyrite issues are related to filler materials used and those materials were brought in from other areas so this area could easily be affected if the developer sourced the filler materials from an affected Pyrite area.

3mm on the plasterboard is what you can see, if its a concrete house its far worse beneath. That crack described is beyond normal settlement. I wouldn't even bother with a survey, your wasting your money.

hi. theres no plasterboard on both walls. its cracks on blocks. funny thing they dont seem to appear on the outside of the house and the only crack ive seen outside is not seen inside the house. and another thing that brought my attention is visible cracks in other houses in the estate. this must be a widespread issue there.

i would really love to know what possibly could cause these cracks

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

i would really love to know what possibly could cause these cracks
    Typically:
    * Subsidence due to inadequate foundations for the local ground conditions.
    * Poor design, workmanship or materials.
    * In very old buildings, age.

As to which applies to the house only you have looked at, we don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

PM sent op.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much everyone for posting here. i ll be more caucious with this house and investigate further

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

Get photos. Could be faulty blocks, structural cracking due to subsidence, bad building or poor design-or a combo of these.

Get photos. Could be faulty blocks, structural cracking due to subsidence, bad building or poor design-or a combo of these.

cant post photos yet as i am new here.ill be doing some research on these cracks and be very caucious with this problem.

Advertisement