Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Win 8.1/Win 10 and RAID/non-RAID?

• 20-03-2015 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

My machine has got two 300GB hard disks and these are currently in RAID0 (Stripe) mode giving me a total of 600GB approx.
    I want to install both 8.1 and 10 on different partitions and my question is whether there is any advantage to using the raid at all or just set both disks to non-raid and install each OS on separate disk.
    Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated!
    (The raid is a software raid implemented in the bios).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Kinda depends on what you want to do with your raid.

There's a few modes, have a look and see if you are interested in any of raid modes in this article:
    http://uk.pcmag.com/storage-devices-reviews/7917/feature/raid-levels-explained

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭peking97

Yeah thanks for the link. I had a look there but I don't have all those options with the bios software raid, just Raid 0 or 1 but I'm thinking if I use Striping I'd lose both OS's if even one disk fails so I'm thinking better to use non-raid and separate 300GB disks for each OS. If I were to use Mirroring I'd only have 300 shared between the two.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Unless you've got a really good raid controller on your board, I wouldn't be convinced that the gains of striping will outweigh the risks of losing everything if either disk fails. So I'd personally put it into non-raid mode and install one OS on each disk.

I suggest disconnecting the other disk when installing each OS, btw - that'll make sure the bootloader for each install is on the right disk and avoids frustrating surprises of the "I removed one disk and now the OS on the other disk won't boot" variety. You can always use something like Neowin's EasyBCD to add secondary bootloader entries to each installation afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭peking97

I agree. Reckon I'll go with the separate disks idea. Thanks for the tip about disconnecting each in turn!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

peking97 wrote: »
    I'm thinking if I use Striping I'd lose both OS's if even one disk fails
    It's called Raid 0 because that's the number of files you'll recover when either disk fails.

If you split the disks you can do things like putting pagefile and temp folders on the other disk so it'll still be faster than a single disk

also if you are going for a clean start you can re-partition and have a smaller partition for the system at the start of the drives where it will have much shorter seek times as well as higher transfer rates and another partition for other stuff on the rest of the drives

of course if want speed you can get a cheap and cheerful 250GB SSD delivered for €108
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT256MX100SSD1-256GB-Includes-Spacer/dp/B00KFAGCWK/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426941499&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=ssd+crucuail

• Advertisement
Advertisement