Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halfords bikes / Alternatives

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

How far is it between A and B?

You've linked 4 totally different bikes. Personally I'd stay away from any bike under €300 as they'll generally be heavy with cheap components. What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

As cee-jay-cee just said.
    How far are you looking at going?
    Are you going off road(at all)?
    Are you looking at doing long spins at weekends or joining club as some dont allow straight bars?
    Also look at your budget if you can use the bike to work scheme it will help also buy a good lock or two a good chain lock and good u lock with cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That Carrera Parva looks quite decent for the price.

Avoid Apollo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I avoided Halfords for years but last year I wanted a hybrid for leisurely cycles and after much research I decided upon their Voodoo Marasa and I absolutely love it.

I love its versatility, its equally happy on the road, on light trains and canal tracks. And the hydraulic brakes (disk brakes) are some of the best I've used, and all for less than €400.

I'm presently braking in a saddle on my road bike and put in a 70k cycle yesterday, put that bike away and decided to take a spin around the park on the hybrid ~ I was like 'blisssss, relaxed riding position, lovely brakes, fat tyres.

I don't have an experience of the other Halfords bikes you've listed, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Got a Carrera Zelos for around €350 two years ago, very happy with it, just got it to keep fit and didn't want to spend big money in case it was a bit of a fad. I do anything from 25-125km (1-5 hours) on it no bother.

Saddle was a bit hard but I changed that, tyres were good, just upgraded them to Schwalbe Marathon Plus when they wore out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Masala

I got the Carrera Subway last year and love scooting around the park on it..... Don't see the need to spend €500++ for a runaround when Halfords have decent stuff at €300++

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Danye

I'm on my phone so can't multi quote but thanks to everybody for their replies.

I'm going to go with one of the Carrera models.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Danye wrote: »
    I'm on my phone so can't multi quote but thanks to everybody for their replies.

I'm going to go with one of the Carrera models.

Thanks for the help.

Be sure to get measured up correctly. Best of luck. I know i had a headache deciding on my bike!
    Remember you can save 52% of cost of bike and accesories on bike to work scheme up to value of €1000.
    Depending on your tax bracket.
    (Some companies dont do halfords bike4work voucher scheme though)

Advertisement