Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone/Wallet stolen - known location

Options
  • 20-03-2015 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

My phone and wallet were stolen today and thanks to some nifty software I have an exact location on where my phone is now. I've gone into the Guards and told them the story and that I have a location. Understandably they can't go barging in.

What's the protocol here? Have car, will travel.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Markx wrote: »
    My phone and wallet were stolen today and thanks to some nifty software I have an exact location on where my phone is now. I've gone into the Guards and told them the story and that I have a location. Understandably they can't go barging in.

What's the protocol here? Have car, will travel.....

How accurate is the location software? If you gave them a precise address then I'm sure they would be able to look up who lives there. If its a person already known to gardai then I'm sure they'll just knock on the door and tell them what's what!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Markx

Luke92 wrote: »
    How accurate is the location software? If you gave them a precise address then I'm sure they would be able to look up who lives there. If its a person already known to gardai then I'm sure they'll just knock on the door and tell them what's what!

It gives latitude, longitude so I've got an exact address. However it's an apartment so I suppose there could be 2 or 3 apartments on the same piece of ground.

Still. If known to gardai then they will know straight away who it is. See they can't do much without probable cause. Any CCTV evidence?

Still. If known to gardai then they will know straight away who it is. See they can't do much without probable cause. Any CCTV evidence?

There could be - it happened in the car park of a gym so maybe tomorrow they can have a look. The guard did say that the CCTV there is very bad though.

I must say the temptation to go for a look around in the morning is massive, even though it's probably not a great idea.

There could be - it happened in the car park of a gym so maybe tomorrow they can have a look. The guard did say that the CCTV there is very bad though.

I must say the temptation to go for a look around in the morning is massive, even though it's probably not a great idea.

I'd have the same temptations. Vigilantism is never a good idea though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

The guards will probably have an idea. I work with a girl and her phone was lifted from her bag on a night out, except she had some tracker thing on it. It tracked it to an apartment block, and the gardaí knew exactly who did it. It was a Romanian family, and the gardaí managed to get the phone back. Chances are they'll know who it is.

jungleman wrote: »
    The guards will probably have an idea. I work with a girl and her phone was lifted from her bag on a night out, except she had some tracker thing on it. It tracked it to an apartment block, and the gardaí knew exactly who did it. It was a Romanian family, and the gardaí managed to get the phone back. Chances are they'll know who it is.

Yeah sounds exactly the same as this but I don't think the guards are up for it really. Better things to be doing on a Friday night most likely. Nice to hear an encouraging story though.

What system are you using? Stock security or 3rd party app?

What system are you using? Stock security or 3rd party app?

I've got Prey installed on it. Phone is off now. Reckon they've settled in for the night. One of those 6am Gardai raids would be ideal for this......

I've got Prey installed on it. Phone is off now. Reckon they've settled in for the night. One of those 6am Gardai raids would be ideal for this......

Ideal, yes. Plausible, no!

Best off getting back onto guards tomorrow morning and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Yeah sounds exactly the same as this but I don't think the guards are up for it really. Better things to be doing on a Friday night most likely. Nice to hear an encouraging story though.

I had an incident happen to me nearly 2 years ago. I went to Fitzgibbon Street station and despite having evidence the guard didn't want to know. I wasn't willing to let this go, so I decided to head to Store Street and they were a lot more helpful and followed up on this and got things sorted.

I couldn't believe the difference between the two stations.

Maybe try a different station?

Advertisement