Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two diff loads in same gun! POI repeatability

Options
  • 20-03-2015 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

OK as most know here I shoot a swift. I use it for both deer and fox... Mainly fox.
    I use a few types of bullets for the fox. I have a few boxes of my preferred fox load, federal 50grain blitzkings(now discontinued). I'm also using (was using-season over) 55grain Norma oryx bullets for deer..

I want to know if you can just interchange bullets back and forth as and when circumstance requires and simply dial in the relevant turret settings for the respective bullets and still expect good accuracy?

I zeroed in my deer bullets for the season and was a little reluctant to swap and chop bullets and mess with my turret settings thus I shot several foxes with a bonded bullet. What a whack! But tbh it restricted my shooting style for fear of over penetrating bonded bullets flying down the fields(after bouncing off low angled back stops etc etc) so some foxes were off the hook..
    The bliztkings just explode in the target every time.

Anyway I'm unsure if the different powder residue in the bore or the different jacket material(possibly) might effect a quick swap with a single shot.

Also is there a technical name for this type of thing!

I''m not on a range so testing with long strings of shots is not really an option. Need a few pointers for the range going member!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

In my 223 Hornady VMax, Federal VShok and American Eagle HPBT all had the same POI. All were the same weight.

I think it's all more to do with velocity being the same in the rounds your using, then your POI won't change to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Thanks Clive.
    Im restricted to factory loads because of the nanny state...
    But if your theory is correct then a reloaded could easily have a game bullet and a varmint bullet running at the same vel and have negligible POI differences.

It's not an issue when sticking in a deer bullet tbh. I just stick it in a give 6cks down and I'm on target.. It's when I return to a varmint bullet that I notice a shift.. But to be fair some of the varmint shots are out to 600yards and the (deer limited to 200) and the first shot doesn't seem to fly the same as the second...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Zxthinger wrote: »
    I want to know if you can just interchange bullets back and forth ... and ... simply dial in the relevant turret settings for the respective bullets and still expect good accuracy?

With factory loads, depending on the known value/target size, accuracy, maybe, but doubtful on precision.

With hand loads and a lot of work, I would say yes to accuracy and precision.

I would run a hypothetical situation in an ap like Strelok and see what it predicts. Then go to the range and test it out.

In reality, there's probably just too many variables when it comes to factory loads for precision. You're lucky to get precision in a factory box let alone switching between loads.

Ever try a ladder test? I am trying one this summer to see what powder/primer combo my rifle likes. They tell me it starts with a 750gr AMAX... ;)

Not sure if the ladder test would be worthwhile on factory ammo since you have no control over anything. Perhaps, you could try different brands of ammo or bullet masses to see if you could get some consistency.

baneylad06.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Zxthinger wrote: »

Anyway I'm unsure if the different powder residue in the bore or the different jacket material(possibly) might effect a quick swap with a single shot.

Also is there a technical name for this type of thing!

I''m not on a range so testing with long strings of shots is not really an option. Need a few pointers for the range going member!

For hunting applications, it's a matter of trying different ammo until you find one (or more) that don't need a lot of adjustment away from your preferred load.

Me, I have a 223 and I stuck a note inside my scope caps to remind me of the POI for various loads.

e.g.; 64g PSP +1" @100 yds/ 55gr VMAX +1.5"@ 100 yds/ 62 gr FMJ 0.0@ 100 yds etc.

Never found noticeable effect of residue in barrel between loads when taking a few shots, at least for hunting purposes.

For target shooting, I imagine it's best to reduce the variables as much as possible, but for a fox to 300yds or more, I don't see a problem.

I prefer to point and shoot, so not into adjusting turrets, but plenty of people using quality scopes seem to have no problem.

Advertisement