Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belpark Duathlon summer series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

MojoMaker wrote: »
    I guess a dual-faced timer would be the answer :pac:
    Or wear a stopwatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

If there was a timer at the finish you would need a stopwatch. All you see these days for finish line photos are people looking down at garmins. At running events and most tri events you can see the clock so if you're aiming for a time you can sprint for the line rather than looking at your watch every 3 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 dapower

Thanks to your feedback, we've made improvements to the Phoenix Park Duathlon planned for next Wednesday: transition area, dismount line, number of marshalls, location of tents. We'll post details on the website soon but wanted to let people know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

dapower wrote: »
    Thanks to your feedback, we've made improvements to the Phoenix Park Duathlon planned for next Wednesday: transition area, dismount line, number of marshalls, location of tents. We'll post details on the website soon but wanted to let people know.

Wow, constructive feedback CAN be taken on board as a positive thing and used to improve the product on offer. Who knew :D :rolleyes:

Really hope this series can become a real success for you guys and I see no reason why it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Is it still possible to sign up to tonight's race tonight? If so, what time should I get there for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Hi Zico, sign up is still available at the race apparently. Registratio nstarts 5:30 ends 6:45 sharp according to their website.

EDIT: See you there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hi Zico, sign up is still available at the race apparently. Registratio nstarts 5:30 ends 6:45 sharp according to their website.

EDIT: See you there

If its anything like the duathlon series of old - get there early, always a big turnout in June.

Race 3 of the Phoenix Park Duathlon series is over a week away - taking place on Wednesday 1st July. This race promises to be the biggest and best yet, with over 200 competitors competing in the May and June races. Feedback has been really positive, so Belpark Triathlon Club is looking forward to seeing you there. Check out our website, Facebook and Twitter for updates as well as a competition to win a free race entry.

2 days to go and the weather outlook is great - expecting highs of 21C on Wednesday so should be a super summer evening for racing. Race briefing and further updates will be posted by Wednesday, so check Belparktri website and Facebook event page.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

What's a neutralised transition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

What's a neutralised transition?

Means distance to run through transition is the same for all (i.e. no advantage in where your bike is positioned)

Means distance to run through transition is the same for all (i.e. no advantage in where your bike is positioned)

OR could mean that its illegal to attack/overtake/pass in transition

tunney wrote: »
    OR could mean that its illegal to attack/overtake/pass in transition

In this instance it is the other. Transition is a square and entrance is one corner exit is diagonally across.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Does anyone know why was the person who finished second was disqualified from tonights event?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Does anyone know why was the person who finished second was disqualified from tonights event?

That was Bryan McCrystal. He said he got DQ'd for passing in transition / on the path out / in with the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Also forgot to mention thanks to Belpark for organising - great serious of events! Also results are up on chipit . ie

That was Bryan McCrystal. He said he got DQ'd for passing in transition / on the path out / in with the bike.

Seemed ok to do that last race. Surely that can't be right? In the previous brief the only place were no overtaking was allowed was on the decent into the s bends after the first straight.

I may have to eat a spoon full of I told you so from Tunney if I'm wrong about this one but it seems to be some confusion from both the rule book and briefing.

It's a shame cause I'm a big fan on Bryan and glad to see he was racing.

Seemed ok to do that last race. Surely that can't be right? In the previous brief the only place were no overtaking was allowed was on the decent into the s bends after the first straight.

I may have to eat a spoon full of I told you so from Tunney if I'm wrong about this one but it seems to be some confusion from both the rule book and briefing.

It's a shame cause I'm a big fan on Bryan and glad to see he was racing.

That's what neutralised means. Bryan as bike racer would certainly have known it.

I didn't want to start an argument yesterday with "no your wrong", cause I've learnt trying to win an argument on the internet is futile.

That's what neutralised means. Bryan as bike racer would certainly have known it.

I didn't want to start an argument yesterday with "no your wrong", cause I've learnt trying to win an argument on the internet is futile.

Just being clear - I think neutralised transitions are a terrible thing. If a competitor can execute their transition faster why punish them?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Just being clear - I think neutralised transitions are a terrible thing. If a competitor can execute their transition faster why punish them?

I had never heard of this interpretation of neutralised transition until you mentioned it yesterday. Seems really stupid. I mean where is the line drawn on passing? Do you have to wait for people in front to feck about putting on helmet and bike shoes or is it just from the point you exit transition until the mount line?

• Advertisement

I agree in that this interpretation is awful. It means for example I could blow up on the bike but then essentially stop in transition to regather and recover knowing no one can pass me and be a bit fresher on the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

I don't believe that the transition was neutralised, mirrormatrix interpretation of what was meant was correct, more appropriate word for what was meant about the transition is probably "equalised".
    There was a 70m section of the road near St Marys hospital that was in fact neutralised, this was quite well explained in the briefing. A number of people were disqualified here. More probably should have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was watching from transition and quite a few people passed others on the path where we were. Must have happened on his way out as he was about 30 seconds ahead of second place when he came into T2.

Had never heard that interpretation of a neutralised transition myself!

cart man he said it was for passing in transition so that must be what he was told as he finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 belparktri

There was a no overtake zone 5m from bike mount line & 10m before bike dismount and also on the 150m part of road by St. Mary's Hospital . This was in interest of competitor safety and TI race referees were rightly monitoring these areas for transgressions and issuing penalities & DQs as appropriate.

The no overtake zones was explained during race briefing on night and in race briefing online
    Transition was neutral [equalised!]as in there was no advantage to where your bike was racked but there was certainly no problem or DQ's for anyone overtaking in transition/path to and from mount line.

We will look at ways of ensuring this is communicated as clearly as possible to all competitors in future editions - suggestsions welcome at belparkeventsATgmail.com

Thanks once again to everyone who supported the duathlon series. It was fantastic sunny evening in Phoenix Park yesterday. Some great racing at the top end of field & lots of ODL athletes getting their first taste of multi sport.

Ellen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

belparktri wrote: »
    There was a no overtake zone 5m from bike mount line & 10m before bike dismount and also on the 150m part of road by St. Mary's Hospital . This was in interest of competitor safety and TI race referees were rightly monitoring these areas for transgressions and issuing penalities & DQs as appropriate.

The no overtake zones was explained during race briefing on night and in race briefing online
    Transition was neutral [equalised!]as in there was no advantage to where your bike was racked but there was certainly no problem or DQ's for anyone overtaking in transition/path to and from mount line.

So in the example above 5m if someone was mounting there bike in a static position and someone doing a flying mount the person doing the flying mount or equally someone standing while dismounting is pass by someone doing a flying dismount could be Dq'd.
    Or am I picking this up wrong !

I can say I have ever heard of this before while I can and do understand a no pass zone in certain circumstances out on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

last year there was 30% increase of participants from june to july
    this year we see roughly a 10 % decrease from june to jully so it would apear that people already giving valuable feedback.

from my point of view its sounds like that the great marshelling you do can not outweigh that people liked the older course with no neutralized zones better.

belparktri;96093817]There was a no overtake zone 5m from bike mount line & 10m before bike dismount and also on the 150m part of road by St. Mary's Hospital . This was in interest of competitor safety and TI race referees were rightly monitoring these areas for transgressions and issuing penalities & DQs as appropriate.

We will look at ways of ensuring this is communicated as clearly as possible to all competitors in future editions - suggestsions welcome at belparkeventsATgmail.com

Thanks once again to everyone who supported the duathlon series. It was fantastic sunny evening in Phoenix Park yesterday. Some great racing at the top end of field & lots of ODL athletes getting their first taste of multi sport.

Ellen[/QUOTE]

Bring back the triangle course and even I will come out and do one!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

Bring back the triangle course and even I will come out and do one!

+1 :)

Thanks Ellen for the clarification. Unfortunately I was unable to do this months race but I did last months and it was really enjoyable. Wish I had been able to do it yesterday.

Still think its a bit daft not allowing overtaking in these positions but obviously there is a reason for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Triangle course rocked. Uncomplicated and fast.

Advertisement