Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do about having no babysitter?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

I have no doubt you are in a difficult situation.

However I am a childless adult and I happily babysit for my friends who have children, for free. Do you have a friend you could ask?

If you don't ask you don't get.

A lot of them are in the same boat themselves.

Some friendships have gone to the wayside as a result of this or already babysit for their own families.

That's a nice thing you do for your friends.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

zeffabelli wrote: »
    A lot of them are in the same boat themselves.

Some friendships have gone to the wayside as a result of this or already babysit for their own families.

That's a nice thing you do for your friends.

Could you propose swapsies with another couple? Once a month you take each other's kids?

Even if there is no money for an outing, going for a walk is free. Pack sandwiches and a flask of coffee and a blanket and have yourselves a little picnic somewhere. Time together is so important to brighten you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Just to give the sibling's perspective - and obviously everyone knows their own family best - but I wouldn't advise anyone to assume that siblings are only dying to mind their nieces & nephews. I've a pain in my face being asked to mind mine - I love them all to bits but my myself and one other sister are ALWAYS asked because we're the only child-free siblings. I don't mind it the odd time but the "odd time" multiplied by three other siblings adds up.

The other thing about always relying on family to mind your kids is that you're a bit goosed then when it's a big family event that everyone wants to go to, like a birthday or something. I definitely think that everyone should at least try and sort out a babysitter that isn't immediate family.

Oh yes, totally agree that a non-family member is important. We were stuck badly one evening, when I was at work, and my husband needed to take someone to a doctor. Family were unavailable, so was very important to have a backup.

If they are local, why don't the siblings participate? We have our nieces and nephews over for sleepovers... We have a two bedroom house, and there are 4 of us living here already, so it's sleeping bags on the floor in an indoor tent for anyone staying. they bloomin love it. Pile of them staying up late watching an old children's film.. Torches out for the tent. Hot chocolate in jammies. Mega fun. Ours count down the days on a calendar to next cousin sleepover.

I guess it's needs must for us. Both of us travel for work a little bit. So we originally put big effort into building up available babysitters. It's building contacts and making arrangments that suit everyone. Just like work in a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

pwurple wrote: »
    Oh yes, totally agree that a non-family member is important. We were stuck badly one evening, when I was at work, and my husband needed to take someone to a doctor. Family were unavailable, so was very important to have a backup.

If they are local, why don't the siblings participate? We have our nieces and nephews over for sleepovers... We have a two bedroom house, and there are 4 of us living here already, so it's sleeping bags on the floor in an indoor tent for anyone staying. they bloomin love it. Pile of them staying up late watching an old children's film.. Torches out for the tent. Hot chocolate in jammies. Mega fun. Ours count down the days on a calendar to next cousin sleepover.

I guess it's needs must for us. Both of us travel for work a little bit. So we originally put big effort into building up available babysitters. It's building contacts and making arrangments that suit everyone. Just like work in a way.

That's a great idea....

Advertisement