Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Leave or Annual Leave

Options
  • 21-03-2015 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I recently had to attend a hospital apt for investigations and tests. The first day, it was a clinic, which took approx 3 hours. The second day was tests and it was full day.

On returning to work my boss tells me it's not sick leave, it's my personal time. I had letters from hospital for both days saying I attended. What are people's views. Sick leave or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's a company policy thing: you obviously aren't too sick to work at the moment, so technically it's not sick leave. But you could become so if the symptoms you're having test for aren't investigated and if necessarily treated, and that's why some companies allow sick leave for things like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Anywhere I've worked medical appointments are treated as personal time and taken from your annual leave entitlement or (at your request) from any time in lieu you may have worked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Same here, dental appointments, medical appointments, are personal time and I book annual leave to attend.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Same here it's annual leave

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Surprisingly, my current gig (American MNC) they're sick leave - but I have to present a letter from the doctor saying I have an appointment.

• Advertisement

Anywhere i have worked they are sick leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

In my place of work they would be considered as personal days to be taken from annual leave. If you weren't attending the appointments you would be at work so you're not 'sick' and can't be considered as sick leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nac4bie

Where I work, "medical leave" is allowed for personal/family medical appointments. However as far as I'm concerned, this is a privilege rather than an automatic right. Sick leave should be used in an emergency situation, where you're too ill too attend work. If you know in advance that you can't be in work, annual leave (or in our case "medical leave") should be booked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

what is the policy in the company? are they treating everyone the same?

Advertisement