Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apps - Google and Irish Banks/Companies

• 21-03-2015 1:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

In relation to the above will MS ever be able to convince Google and Irish companies to start investing in their OS?

It's advancing every day - sure the take up in the US isn't as good as Europe but shouldn't other companies at least be considering the OS?

It bugs me that, as someone who was very fond of his Lumia 800; that I can't go back to the WP environment due to various important apps not being provided.

I don't think it's Microsoft's fault given their incentives towards app creation - is it simply a lack of realisation on the part of other companies and the rival Google that ignores the millions who already use Windows Phone?

Every time I see the Lumia 930 I want it. Unfortunately I have to stick with Android until the time (hopefully) comes.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Any way I can influence things? ( :pac: )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

FGR wrote: »
    Thoughts? Suggestions? Any way I can influence things? ( :pac: )

If you want to influence things then you should buy the 930. The more people have WP the more companies will support it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

TBi wrote: »
    If you want to influence things then you should buy the 930. The more people have WP the more companies will support it.

Unfortunately the more time goes by, the less I'm convinced of this. MS seem to be focussing on their services (XBox, OneDrive, Office etc - I won't be surprised if Windows joins this list before long) and making them available to as many people as possible regardless of the platform they use. Only today it's been announced that DELL and other Android manufacturers are to pre-install MS apps. It's telling as well IMO that many of these apps work better on Android than their own WP.

I think Windows Phone as a platform won't be around in 2/3 years. Sure they're releasing a variant of Windows 10 for current 8.1 handsets but again I think this is more about getting people to buy in to the ecosystem than trying to sustain a viable platform for the long term. I'm no developer but remember that WP10 is a cut-down variant of the "full" version so presumably this is a relatively easier effort to do than maintain a separate variant like 8.1 or even RT. The focus on pumping out cheap (almost disposable) handsets is another indicator IMO

It's a shame if this is true because there's a lot to like about WP but I don't think the current administration has their heart in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I disagree with the gloom there, but we have discussed that topic in other threads and I'll not go over it.

However, regarding the Google ecosystem - I find it interesting that Google's interests actually benefit WP users without Google even having to care about it - they're visibly very keen to push towards a web-app based world, and as such, the vast majority of Google stuff is perfectly great to use via your IE mobile browser. From reports, Spartan (coming in W10) will improve that browsing situation dramatically too. Additionally Spartan is bringing with it a number of API style hooks into OS level systems (like notifications and background audio) that mean web apps will be able to properly create live tiles (they can already sort of do this pretty well), generation push notifications etc. Essentially we're finally arriving at that promised land of OS-agnostic apps that Apple were dreaming of when they released the original iPhone without apps or an app store. There are a number of other technologies coming down the pipe which have nothing to do with Microsoft that should again dramatically lower the amount of work needed to develop cross-platform apps (have a look at React Native for one). Perhaps I'm being optimistic, but I'm almost certain in 2-3 years, mobile OS is going to matter less and less.

With this in mind, I think that a lot of the companies we're trying to appeal to make apps for WP, we ought to just be begging them to make mobile-web apps instead. For example, Uber wasn't on WP for ages, but their m.uber.com site could be used perfectly well for long before their native app came along. Why Hailo have never gone and made a mobile-web version of their app is beyond me, but they really should. A lot of people go on about the lack of local banking apps, but in nearly every case (Bank of Ireland excluded because they haven't got any part of their website mobile optimised) their web app is just fine - I'm with PermanentTSB and they actually have a WP app, but it's just a web-wrapper (I think), and it doesn't bother me because it does what I want it do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Unfortunately the more time goes by, the less I'm convinced of this. MS seem to be focussing on their services (XBox, OneDrive, Office etc - I won't be surprised if Windows joins this list before long) and making them available to as many people as possible regardless of the platform they use. Only today it's been announced that DELL and other Android manufacturers are to pre-install MS apps. It's telling as well IMO that many of these apps work better on Android than their own WP.

I think Windows Phone as a platform won't be around in 2/3 years. Sure they're releasing a variant of Windows 10 for current 8.1 handsets but again I think this is more about getting people to buy in to the ecosystem than trying to sustain a viable platform for the long term. I'm no developer but remember that WP10 is a cut-down variant of the "full" version so presumably this is a relatively easier effort to do than maintain a separate variant like 8.1 or even RT. The focus on pumping out cheap (almost disposable) handsets is another indicator IMO

It's a shame if this is true because there's a lot to like about WP but I don't think the current administration has their heart in it.
    The move to have MS Apps on Android Tablets, I am willing to wager, is twofold.

1. Bring more users into the Microsoft ecosystem - Office 365 can be a nice little earner for Microsoft (the division currently earns about $2bn per quarter, although division also includes Azure so might be slightly skewed), users need to register a Microsoft Account to use it, and get unlimited storage on OneDrive.
    2. I would say that this new move is probably a way to sweeten some hardware manufacturers who are currently paying Android royalties to Microsoft (as Samsung were), they can perhaps reduce their royalty liability if they add these apps to their standard images (probably through some rebate from Microsoft to the OEM).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I wouldn't recommend the 930 if you want good battery life. :)
    I've just sold mine.
    It's gorgeous but useless as a daily driver.
    I'll stick with my 1520 and 535 as my WPs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement