Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coddle

Options
  • 19-03-2015 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭

Mod note: Discussion split from "Here's What I Had for Dinner" thread.

I made Dublin coddle for paddy's day. Finishing off the last of it now, lovely stuff, very hearty dish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

fxotoole wrote: »
    I made Dublin coddle for paddy's day. Finishing off the last of it now, lovely stuff, very hearty dish

No offense but doesnt look like coddle?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

J Mysterio wrote: »
    No offense but doesnt look like coddle?

It's 3 day old coddle so it looks pretty spot on tbf. All the potatoes break down like in a standard stew.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

It looks delicious.

But to me, coddle is a broth, not a stew or soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It looks delicious.

But to me, coddle is a broth, not a stew or soup.

A broth with potatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

I make mine quite thick because thats how I like it, thats the great thing about coddle, so many variations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There are as many variations of Coddle as there are Mammys in Dublin. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

There are as many variations of Coddle as there are Mammys in Dublin. :)

But MY mammy's is the only right one (tomatoes, skin-on-unbrowned-sausages-boiled rashers-potatoes-water-white pepper? Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I wish someone would make me coddle... Am convinced I'd love it but there's so much variation I don't even know where to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I wish someone would make me coddle... Am convinced I'd love it but there's so much variation I don't even know where to start!

Decent rashers and sausages and don't add packet soup and you won't go too far wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

But MY mammy's is the only right one (tomatoes, skin-on-unbrowned-sausages-boiled rashers-potatoes-water-white pepper? Right?

Sorry, but it sounds gross. I had a look at images of coddle because I've never seen it, and for the most part it looks very unappetising. BOILED rashers and sausages??????????????????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

katydid wrote: »
    Sorry, but it sounds gross. I had a look at images of coddle because I've never seen it, and for the most part it looks very unappetising. BOILED rashers and sausages??????????????????

It is real comfort food, it normally looks terrible but god it tastes good especially with some crusty bread rolls.

It is most surely visually unappealing but it's delicious. Light peppery, bacon-y broth that a little sharp with tomato and bacon and sausages. Boiled sausages are really tasty. Although boiled sausage skin is interesting. If it was actually 'gross' you wouldn't get so many people scrapping over what the 'right' recipe is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

My memories of Coddle are just of pepper. Way too much pepper! :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's identical to MY mammy's coddle :)

Yes! It sounds and looks awful but tastes amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Boiled sausages look like strange little alien willies. :o

But I have to admit - as a non-Dub - coddle is actually lovely! It sounds strange, it doesn't look appetising, but it's yum!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Another non-Dub here who thinks coddle sounds horrible! But then again, I'm not the biggest fan of either bacon or sausages.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The sausages are feckin rank in it. The rest... not so bad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I split the coddle posts and gave its very own thread, as it's a hot topic, it seems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Can anyone recommend somewhere in Dublin that serves a nice coddle? Realistically the chances of me making it are pretty slim but would like to taste it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Ha I've never had coddle with tomatoes in it.

Same as yours but carrots and either chicken or vegetable soup mix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Can anyone recommend somewhere in Dublin that serves a nice coddle? Realistically the chances of me making it are pretty slim but would like to taste it

I've had a passable coddle in The Brew Dock on Amiens St, but not sure if it's still on the menu there.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭millie35

They serve it in the Gravediggers pub, and it's delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tomatoes in a Coddle?! A more heinous crime against the culinary arts I have not heard! :pac:

Here's my recipe...

Finely chopped celery & thinly sliced onions into a pan & sweated in butter. Then add your sausages & rashers (or even better - the shredded leftovers of a joint of ham or a ham hock plus the bone). Sliced spuds* over the top of all that & then just about cover with chicken stock. Whack in any herbs you may have to hand such as parsley, thyme, mixed herbs or a bay leaf. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for as long as you like**.

* I slice my spud into different thicknesses so that some break down fairly quickly & thicken the coddle, while others remain intact as chunks of spuddy goodness.

** If your preference is for a coddle with a thin liquor it can be eaten after an hour or so on the hob. For a thicker liquor - keep on the heat for longer so the spuds have time to break down more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Have to agree that tomatoes in a coddle sounds just wrong!

Tomatoes in a Coddle?! A more heinous crime against the culinary arts I have not heard! :pac:

Sir you have offended the honour of my family & I challenge you to a duel...

glove-slap-homer-o.gif

:D:D:D:D:D

Has to be those awful, barely ripe 'Quinnsworth in the 80s' looking 6 pack trays of tomatoes too. My grandad's personal recipe I'll have you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I don't eat coddle (boiled sausages, ugh!) but apparently I make a lovely one. I boil potatoes, carrots, onions, then add sausages. If I have rashers leftover in the fridge, I will chop up some of them and throw them in. Sometimes I add some smaller potatoes at the end so there are mushy ones and ones with a bit of bite, then I season. I have had the broth/ soup of it with bread before and it tastes delicious. I learned how to cook it from my da. I heard about people adding packet soup or barley before but never tomatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

We used to call it sausage stew, the way my mother always made it was, sausages, rashers, black pudding, onion and water. Ours was very simple compared to others here.:o The broth was very thin but very tasty when mopped up with bread.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

My Mammys recipe.

In a pot boil some bacon ribs and remove the froth that it produces ( too salty ).

Then add, one large onion cut in quarters, a load of sausages, a few spuds diced and a handful of sweet cherry tomatoes. Rashers are optional..

Let it simmer for an hour or so, or until you have the required thickness, then just before serving add a dash of Worcestershire sauce and plate up with a crusty roll.. Delicious.. In fact.. I have a goo now for a coddle. I'm off to make one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

My recipe:

Diced Carrots
    Diced spuds
    Diced turnip
    Diced onions
    Finely chopped leek

Boil that with a few chicken stock stock cubes thrown in, a little thyme and Margoram and a pinch of salt and cracked black pepper. After about 20 minutes boiling add in the sausages (I always use hicks) and roughly sliced up rashers (Fat included).
    Thicken a bit with a packet of potato soup.
    Make homemade bread dont use shop bought.

As mentioned, Coddle is brilliant because there are so many variations. Its the Dublin Carbonara....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I've never actually tried coddle because I always thought it sounded/looked disgusting even though my mam's is apparently lovely! Maybe next time she makes it I'll give it a go since the general consensus is that it looks awful but tastes nice :P

Advertisement