Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coddle

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

I've got a pot of it on now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I haven't had it in years and I don't know my mammys recipe but I used to love it. Ours used have cocktail sausages, streaky rashers and pork skirts (I don't even know what a pork skirt is but they were lovely). There'd be a lot of skimming of fat and adding bits of thyme etc.... Spuds were boiled separately and added when served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Patww79 wrote: »
    Whatever about tomatoes or boiled sausages, spuds with a 'bite' in any dish is the biggest crime!

I meant spuds that hold their shape.. most of my coddle potatoes become a mushy part of the liquid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

It is most surely visually unappealing but it's delicious. Light peppery, bacon-y broth that a little sharp with tomato and bacon and sausages. Boiled sausages are really tasty. Although boiled sausage skin is interesting. If it was actually 'gross' you wouldn't get so many people scrapping over what the 'right' recipe is

Never heard of it with tomatoes..
    Boiled sausages look like strange little alien willies. :o
    !

Known in Dublin as "Widows memories"

Coddle in days of old was basically boiling water, and add whatever was available, hence the variation on the recipes. It would start the week with what was left from Sunday (bacon or ham) and topped up as the week went along adding what you had. But the basics would be sausage, rashers, carrots and potatoes. IMO best served next day, with a good batch loaf.

First impressions usually are "It looks dreadful but tastes great"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

For me it just isn't real coddle without tomatoes.

When I was a child my father would sometimes boil a load of sausages and onions together and he and I would eat it in sandwiches with brown sauce :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Water, spuds, rashers, sausages. Pepper.

Boil it up, simmer. Eat.

Looks vile, but it's scrumilicious. Really delish. With Batch Bread. OMG.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Water, spuds, rashers, sausages. Pepper.

Boil it up, simmer. Eat.

Looks vile, but it's scrumilicious. Really delish. With Batch Bread. OMG.

We eat with our eyes. You'd have to blindfold me...

katydid wrote: »
    We eat with our eyes. You'd have to blindfold me...

I eat all sorts of things that look horrible but taste nice! Porridge, mushy peas, curry to name a few. We eat with our noses imo.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

...You'd have to blindfold me...

50 Shades of Coddle? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Yeah dont forget the batch bread, or even better, turnover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

jiUyHfb.jpg?1

Made and tasted coddle for the first time ever tonight, inspired by this thread!

Chopped the streaky rashers into lardons and fried them off first to cook out some fat (they went soft in the broth anyway) and took the sausage meat out of the skins, made meatballs and fried those in the bacon grease before adding them to the stock. What a super tasty and cheap dinner!!!

tfak85 wrote: »

Made and tasted coddle for the first time ever tonight, inspired by this thread!

Chopped the streaky rashers into lardons and fried them off first to cook out some fat (they went soft in the broth anyway) and took the sausage meat out of the skins, made meatballs and fried those in the bacon grease before adding them to the stock. What a super tasty and cheap dinner!!!

Is that really coddle? I thought you were supposed to boil everything without frying it first? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

tfak85 wrote: »

It will be even better tomorrow.

Is that really coddle? I thought you were supposed to boil everything without frying it first? :-)

Yes that is the traditional method, and the one I use always. Yum.

But times move on and recipes are adapted I suppose.

As long as s/he enjoyed it, that's the main thing!

But....... simmered coddle, no pre frying, melting down spuds with a few chunkies is the real deal. Onions are allowed, although I don't use them, just don't like boiled onions!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Never heard of tomatoes in a coddle but I will throw a can in on my next pot. My mother would boil a few chicken drumsticks in along with the cocktail sausages, rashers and veg.

Like all stews and soups, the most important ingredient goes in at the table.

Worchester sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

But....... simmered coddle, no pre frying, melting down spuds with a few chunkies is the real deal. Onions are allowed, although I don't use them, just don't like boiled onions!

If it's the texture of the boiled onions that you don't like how about keeping the onion whole, (just make a cross about half way through the onion), to flavour the broth?

cofy wrote: »
    If it's the texture of the boiled onions that you don't like how about keeping the onion whole, (just make a cross about half way through the onion), to flavour the broth?

Brilliant idea for flavour. ( but shush, I have been known to throw some onion granules in!! God bless Tesco. I can't seem to get them anywhere else, and they are a godsend in lieu of boiled onions. When they have them in stock I buy jars and jars!

And Yes, it's the texture of slippery slimy boiled onions that I detest. Each to their own though!

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Never heard of tomatoes in a coddle but I will throw a can in on my next pot. My mother would boil a few chicken drumsticks in along with the cocktail sausages, rashers and veg.

Like all stews and soups, the most important ingredient goes in at the table.

Worchester sauce.

Keep the Worcestershire sauce if you want when it's served, but feck the tomatoes. Sorry, so wrong in this dish.

I doubt anyone saw a tomato back in the day when the dish was first made out of leftovers of this and that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Brilliant idea for flavour. ( but shush, I have been known to throw some onion granules in!! God bless Tesco. I can't seem to get them anywhere else, and they are a godsend in lieu of boiled onions. When they have them in stock I buy jars and jars!

And Yes, it's the texture of slippery slimy boiled onions that I detest. Each to their own though!

You are not alone, I have 3 in this house who will not eat stew if they see a bit of stewed onion.:D:D:D

So basically it's not A dish, it's a concept. That you make up as you go along.. :-)

So basically it's not A dish, it's a concept. That you make up as you go along.. :-)

Yup, like most stews and casseroles.

Yup, like most stews and casseroles.

Yes, but I assumed "coddle" was an actual dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

I wouldn't be able to do the aul boiled sausages and I imagine rashers straight in will leave lots and lots of scummy stuff on the top too!

I like the theory that it's a concept!

Yes, but I assumed "coddle" was an actual dish.

Only in the way Irish Stew is a dish, if you get what I mean.

Only in the way Irish Stew is a dish, if you get what I mean.

But the ingredients for Irish stew are fairly standard, aren't they? It appears that this coddle is basically whatever you're having yourself, done whatever way suits you. The only common denominator is rashers and sausages.

But the ingredients for Irish stew are fairly standard, aren't they? It appears that this coddle is basically whatever you're having yourself, done whatever way suits you. The only common denominator is rashers and sausages.

Every recipe has it's own twist with the basics staying the same.

Every recipe has it's own twist with the basics staying the same.

Hmmm

• Advertisement

Not any old rashers, blasphemy!! Streaky bacon!!

Advertisement