Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! HL Chemistry 2015 - discussion, guesses, predictions, explosions, etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Johnjoeboy

Do we have to learn preparartion of ethanal and ethanoic acid or have they been removed from syllabus??

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

Chocolalla wrote: »
    I really want an a1 as well favourite subject what experiment and chapters you focusing on?

I need the A1 for my ego since I'm pretty sure I didn't get it in biology. I did the 2009 paper today and got 91.25% in it so Theres little room for error.

I'm focusin on the redox titrations since its been water and acid base the last two years. I still more or less know them though. For organic experiment I've gone through them all today apart from the new one. I might do that tonight or tomorrow morning.

For the other questions I've put emphasis on atomic theory (q5) the organic questions (q6, 8 or 9) and I'm going to study my option really well tonight. The only thing I'm worried about is experiments coming up as part of long questions because I only know titrations and organic experiments.

What are you focusing on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Gryffindor

I've just spent the last hour scrolling through a chemistry jokes page on Facebook instead of actually studying. Productive as always, I am :rolleyes:
    Honestly it was worth it for coming across 'Technically vodka is always a solution' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chocolalla

Johnjoeboy wrote: »
    Do we have to learn preparartion of ethanal and ethanoic acid or have they been removed from syllabus??

I heard there were remov d I'm only learning Ethyne , clove oil , chromatography for question 2

Chocolalla wrote: »
    I heard there were remov d I'm only learning Ethyne , clove oil , chromatography for question 2

Well only the preparation of ethanal and ethanoic acid were removed from section a.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

Does anyone have a copy of the DEBS/Examcraft papers for HL? Or anyone remember what topics came up in Section B?

dazzadazza wrote: »
    I need the A1 for my ego since I'm pretty sure I didn't get it in biology. I did the 2009 paper today and got 91.25% in it so Theres little room for error.

I'm focusin on the redox titrations since its been water and acid base the last two years. I still more or less know them though. For organic experiment I've gone through them all today apart from the new one. I might do that tonight or tomorrow morning.

For the other questions I've put emphasis on atomic theory (q5) the organic questions (q6, 8 or 9) and I'm going to study my option really well tonight. The only thing I'm worried about is experiments coming up as part of long questions because I only know titrations and organic experiments.

What are you focusing on?

Thermochemistry, all water , trends , rates of reaction and ph hopefully the nice experiments come up like iron tablet , Ethyne, phenyl methanol , equilibrium

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sdio

I'm leaving out organic chemistry, I just don't have time to study it!

sdio wrote: »

That's like the most important section of chemistry , don't give up just do the organic exam Ms questions!!

sdio wrote: »

You can do that. I did it for the mocks and I got 78% due to also not knowing any of the calculations. The only problem with leaving out organic though is that you have the know other topics really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

What's the probability of there being 2 experiments in 1 question, because they did it with physics and biology this year?

OMGeary wrote: »
    What's the probability of there being 2 experiments in 1 question, because they did it with physics and biology this year?

I don't understand what you mean , of course there's going to be one not even one three experiments ???

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

What I mean is there's three experiment questions in chemistry. In physics there are 4 experiment questions, but today Q4. was made up of 2 experiments. Is it possible that lets say Q3. will be on 2 experiments as opposed to one

• Registered Users Posts: 10 m.xvii

Anyone in an institute have any predictions, seem to have been pretty accurate up to now. Have most things covered, just want to know what to look over this final night.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jason_H

What I mean is there's three experiment questions in chemistry. In physics there are 4 experiment questions, but today Q4. was made up of 2 experiments. Is it possible that lets say Q3. will be on 2 experiments as opposed to one

They did that for organic in 2013!

Ohh , well chromatography and clove oil came up as Q2 in 2008

EaSwe wrote: »
    Mandatory Experiment 15: To investigate Le Chatelier's Principle using the reaction between iron (III) chloride and potassium thiocynate

There are videos of all the experiements on Folens' website, if you sign up and add the chemistry live videos to your bag and checkout (it's free for everyone regardless of your book) https://www.folens.ie/digital-products/lc-chemistry-live-experiment-videos

I just did this can you view the videos now online? Or do they have to get sent to my house?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭EaSwe

dazzadazza wrote: »
    I just did this can you view the videos now online? Or do they have to get sent to my house?

Yep you can view them straight away..
    There's instructions here
    It's a bit cumbersome but the videos and explanations are great

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Notsolovely

Would it be alright to go for all 11 answers? And leave the markers to pick the best 8. Or would you think that going over the original 8 answers is always the best strategy?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

Would it be alright to go for all 11 answers? And leave the markers to pick the best 8. Or would you think that going over the original 8 answers is always the best strategy?

My class did all past papers up to 2002 so I'm in the same boat of *probably* being able to answer all the questions. Normally I just do nine which gives me a buffer because there's usually one question I accidentally misinterpret :P going for all 11 seems like overkill to me but by all means go for it if you feel confident doing that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

How many people actually bothered doing an option? Can't find any motivation whatsoever to do one and i've had since march :L they're both so boring, and i'm so indecisive....

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

My teacher said not to go into the exam thinking that you're going to do all 11 questions. Do the 8 that you think you can answer best and read over them after you have finished. If you are 100% confident with your work and have spare time, only then should you answer the remaining 3 questions.

How many people actually bothered doing an option? Can't find any motivation whatsoever to do one and i've had since march :L they're both so boring, and i'm so indecisive....

i didn't but I'm staying up until i have mastered the option and equilibrium

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

Hopefully a full questions on water and equilibrium come up in section B. Absolutely love them. The short questions are much more consistent than physics for example IMO. Hopefully Iron tablet, ethene/ethyne and benzoic acid come up.

Going for an A1 myself so hopefully the exam goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

Anyone know the purpose of adding sulfuric acid to the conical flask in the sodium thiosulfate/iodine titration? Can't find an explanation and they love throwing up those sort of questions.

Is it just to supply H+ for the reaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

Ok lads, 11th hour section A predictions, lay em on me!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Deranged96 wrote: »
    Just taking a look at the front of my papers,
    Ethyne
    Vinegar
    Iodine - Thiosulfate Titration
    Rate of production of oxygen
    Clove Oil
    New one: Preparation of Benzoic Acid
    Free Chlorine/Suspended Solids?

What comes up every year in Section b?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

Just taking a look at the front of my papers,
    Ethyne
    Vinegar
    Iodine - Thiosulfate Titration
    Rate of production of oxygen
    Clove Oil
    New one: Preparation of Benzoic Acid
    Free Chlorine/Suspended Solids?

What comes up every year in Section b?

Water came up every year bar last year so that'll be up no question.

Q5 is always atomic theory.

Rates and Equilibrium are two chapters that are staples of section B, I think they've always featured but not sure.

Always a heat of reaction question.

Nearly always an organic chemistry reaction mechanism and last year it was a substitution reaction so this year it's expected to be an addition mechanism.

Chromatography

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 123mad

Iron tablet

Advertisement