Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Scope for springer airrifle ?

Options
  • 21-03-2015 6:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I can't decide which to buy, 3-9x40 or 4-12x40. Does it really matter? Is there much of a difference ? I will be zeroing at 30 to 35yds for Vermin plus some targets.
    Help needed !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭skipking

either scope will be good enough for air rifle. springer air rifles tend to be hard on cheap scopes as the slap of the spring
    can cause damage to the cross hairs. ask in the shop is scope suitable for your rifle. also you can get mounts for
    spring power air rifles that take the shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭TombstoneT

Thanks for the info Skipking, but what I really want to know is which magnification would be more suitable for my purpose, the 3-9x or the 4-12x. I should have explained first that I have been using a 5-15x40 which is just too long (14.5"). I just don't understand what the difference between the above mentioned magnifications would be.

the difference in power is very little between the two scopes. i would go for the 4-12, myself. the lenght of scope will differ from one maker to another. you can have same power scope from two different makers, two different lenghts.

Why would you choose the 4-12x over the 3-9x. Whichever one I end up with will be in the Hawke Airmax EV AO model.

just personal, have 4-16x50 on my air rifle and dont think i ever shot at anything over 10 power. it is also a hawk.

• Advertisement

Thanks again skipking for all the info,time and patience. This will help me a lot in my decision.
    Good Luck
    TombstoneT.

no problem, look at both scopes and pick out the clearest. best of look, shoot straight and safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

A bigger objective lens gives you better eye relieve. A 50mm is better if your hunting in woods as it view will be brighter.
    Anything up to x12 would suit, so say a 4-12x50 would be ideal IMO

Advertisement