Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sneaky Specials at SuperValu

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

cerastes wrote: »
    No it isn't on the north side, its bad enough they aren't that reasonably priced, but I accept they are a convenience store, but to display items on offer and then not offer them at that price.
    T

Same happens at Supervalu in Clonmel.....long since stopped shopping there after the manager showed zero interest in dealing with a complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 12 willow2670

2 days ago I purchased 2 pouch's of Dolmio pasta sauce on special offer for €3.00 (retail at €1.99 each). I was charged the full retail price. Told cashier & got a refund. Was in the same store today & bought the same. Again, charged full price. This 'cashier' was in a suit, so I assume she was part of the management. I told her about the 'offer' of which she was aware of. She told me there was a problem with the till! I told her this was the second time this happened & I paid at another till, (so can't be the til). She insisted it was the tills fault & an engineer was on the way to sort out the problem.
    I asked her ' if it was the tills 'fault', then why didn't she use one of the other 3 vacant one's available'. (got more fobbed off answers)
    I then suggested at the very least, she took the 'offer' down, until this problem was resolved.
    The worrying part for me is this 'bin' that the sauces were in was full on my first visit. Today, there was barely 10 pouch's. They are obviously making such huge profits with this tactic, and will continue to <SNIP> until something in Ireland can be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Shops like SuperValu do not have individually controlled tills any more. When the manager said that something was wrong with the till, they were referring to the central software that controls all the tills. It wouldn't matter which individual till you scanned the product on as they would all show the same pricing error.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,181 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

dudara wrote: »
    Shops like SuperValu do not have individually controlled tills any more. When the manager said that something was wrong with the till, they were referring to the central software that controls all the tills. It wouldn't matter which individual till you scanned the product on as they would all show the same pricing error.

That wont stop the average Joe Slow from mouthing off about things they dont understand though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

fussyonion wrote:
    The customer service lady said the Extra Mild ones were €2.99 and that someone had placed the wrong product with the wrong price sticker. A month on and nobody has fixed the issue.

Don't Tesco have a policy on this, that if it's labeled wrong, you get your money back and the item for free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Don't Tesco have a policy on this, that if it's labeled wrong, you get your money back and the item for free?

thats from 4-5 years ago, at least 2 years ago I went looking for this when over priced and was told that was no longer the policy.
    Other people have said they got a double the difference back so if you were charged 3e for a 2e item you got 2e (1+1) back but even then thats painful..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 willow2670

If that's the case, then the product's should not of been on display as a Special Offer

If you believe that a shop is consistently and deliberately making pricing errors, then raise a complaint with the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC).

But be fair, mistakes do happen and shops should be given a chance to rectify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I have always found that this only happens in supermarkets that are expensive, and don't pay there employees well.

In the likes of Aldi and Lidl, where they pay €11+ an hour, this has never happened to me. In Dunnes and Tesco it happens often, Supervalu in my experience don't let this happen. I'd put it down to an slight error OP.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I have always found that this only happens in supermarkets that are expensive, and don't pay there employees well.

In the likes of Aldi and Lidl, where they pay €11+ an hour, this has never happened to me. In Dunnes and Tesco it happens often, Supervalu in my experience don't let this happen. I'd put it down to an slight error OP.

I long ago stopped shopping in SuperValu because of this and management showed absolutely no interest in the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nearly every SuperValu is a franchise - theres little central control and oversight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You see this is where you cannot generalise like that. Supervalu do let this happen, as the previous posts prove and I have seen myself. I have had pricing errors in Lidl but never had one, to my knowledge, in Dunnes.

Errors happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

You see this is where you cannot generalise like that. Supervalu do let this happen, as the previous posts prove and I have seen myself. I have had pricing errors in Lidl but never had one, to my knowledge, in Dunnes.

Errors happen.

Had errors in Dunnes plenty of times but always down to staff who hadn't bothered to remove out of date promotional material from the shelves.

With Lidl I've had discounts I didn't expect because the staff hadn't put up the promotional signs.

In local SuperValu check everything because its so often wrong.

Errors do happen but I judge a store on how they deal with the errors. Getting your money refunded is all well and good but you can't then say that "errors happen" when a week later you find exactly the same error. Sorting out the error once made aware of it has to include changing the offer signage or the price on the computer. I know if they bother my SuperValu can change the prices on the system but they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 PTB

<SNIP>SuperValu santry McDonnells has been <SNIP>. The price's never match when you get to the till, I feel sorry for the genuinely lovely staff that seem embarrassed when customers notice the 'error'. <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

how long before this thread / post is taken down or edited by the mods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Its not an issue, its a rant

skibum wrote: »
    how long before this thread / post is taken down or edited by the mods?

Yeah its more of a rant, bit of an issue for the elderly. It's my first time using boards , maybe I'm using it wrong. I'll just put it on Facebook , if they take it down I'm not interested in their site. Am I using this wrong? I thought this was a rip off Ireland customer forum?

Merged into existing SuperValu thread in Consumer Issues

In future, please don't make criminal accusations against a business or person. Keep it factual.

dudara

Merged into existing SuperValu thread in Consumer Issues

In future, please don't make criminal accusations against a business or person. Keep it factual.

dudara
    thanks for merging mine with this, the 'sneaky special's' is exactly what I was referring to so this is spot on. I'm still a noob so I'm probably using this wrong. As for my comment I said I think someone is on the take, I didn't say they definitely were. Anyway if I can't make accusations (which I wasn't) **** them, they can report me or take my comments down & I'll go put it on Facebook were you can say whatever you want. I know literally 20 people with the same complaint.

coolaboola wrote: »
    Just wanted to give Boardsies a heads-up on something I've fallen foul of on more than one occasion: SuperValu Sneaky Specials!

In store you'll find lots of special offers prominently advertised (with yellow labels)... WARNING: Read the labels very, very carefully. SuperValu typically only put part of a range on special.

For example they currently have Pringles on special for €2. There appear to be a long list of flavours offered on the special. However all the 'Xtra' flavours are excluded (even though they were on a shelf right above the special offer sign). (And as it turned out when I fell foul of this yesterday, only two of the long list of flavours actually on offer were available in-store)

I was chatting with the staff member who helped me return my Xtra Pringles to the shelves and she was saying that they get complaints from customers in their shop at least once or twice every day about Sneaky Specials and that it drives the staff nuts too.

Unless you read the labels of the offers carefully you may find yourself in for an unpleasant surprise at the checkout.

And if anyone from SuperValu reads this, please stop the Sneaky Specials. It leaves a very bad taste in the mouth when you end up paying more than expected or returning goods to the shelves. If you're offering a special, offer it on the whole range.

Anyone else get stung by SuperValu Sneaky Specials?
    Thanks for this, the SuperValu in santry is terrible for sneak special's, my friends and family are getting done all the time, we all have to check are receipts every time. I feel sorry for the staff, who know about this and seem embarrassed but it's like they can't do or say anything.

• Advertisement

PTB wrote: »
    thanks for merging mine with this, the 'sneaky special's' is exactly what I was referring to so this is spot on. I'm still a noob so I'm probably using this wrong. As for my comment I said I think someone is on the take, I didn't say they definitely were. Anyway if I can't make accusations (which I wasn't) **** them, they can report me or take my comments down & I'll go put it on Facebook were you can say whatever you want. I know literally 20 people with the same complaint.

Please abide by the rules of Boards. Take the time to read the site rules and then the specific forum rules.

You should complain to SuperValu management, both in store and at HQ level. If you feel the practice is sustained, then you can complain to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC).

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'll go put it on Facebook were you can say whatever you want..

Posting on Facebook does not remove you from Ireland's extremely strict libel laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I'll go put it on Facebook were you can say whatever you want

Yeah, but nobody sees it there. Apart from your 400 'friends', half of whom have probably already unfollowed you.

And don't fool yourself about your freedom of speech on facebook - they will also take it down if they get a complaint.

Advertisement