Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon Wi-Free is useless / rubbish / poor

Options
  • 21-03-2015 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi all,

I don't know about anyone else here but using Horizon Wi-Free away from home is just pointless.

Frequently it doesn't connect, often I'm asked to re-enter my username and password when it was saved 5 times before. Often I'm told that that username and password is incorrect (when it's entered correctly). Sometimes using email address as username works, often the opposite is the only thing that works. Disconnects are common. And this is all when signal good to excellent.

I simply DO NOT face these issues with any other Wifi I connect to and these issues are completely unique to Horizon Wi-Free.

Anybody else running into these problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Conor_B

Christ, just got it today and my internet speed is now a 1/5 of what it used to be. Thanks UPC!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

Conor_B wrote: »
    Christ, just got it today and my internet speed is now a 1/5 of what it used to be. Thanks UPC!
    Are you connected to the Horizon Wi-Free or your main UPCNNNNNN point. The Wi-free only provides about 2 Mbps connection speed so your speed will be drastically reduced if connected to this. If not maybe they changed your wifi from N to G standard to support the Wi-Free and now your seeing much slower speeds because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Conor_B

Are you connected to the Horizon Wi-Free or your main UPCNNNNNN point. The Wi-free only provides about 2 Mbps connection speed so your speed will be drastically reduced if connected to this. If not maybe they changed your wifi from N to G standard to support the Wi-Free and now your seeing much slower speeds because of this.

No I'm on the normal Wifi ("UPCXXXXXXX"). The issue is due to the computer being in one room and the box itself being in the sitting room as far as I can tell.

I connected up an old wireless router to the Horizon box and the Wifi speed doubled. Still a lot slower than what I had with the modem plugged into the PC though. I rang UPC and they said they'd get in contact with the driver but that has yet to happen. They said they'd send out a new modem to me next week. Still not pleased though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Hi all,

I don't know about anyone else here but using Horizon Wi-Free away from home is just pointless.

Frequently it doesn't connect, often I'm asked to re-enter my username and password when it was saved 5 times before. Often I'm told that that username and password is incorrect (when it's entered correctly). Sometimes using email address as username works, often the opposite is the only thing that works. Disconnects are common. And this is all when signal good to excellent.

I simply DO NOT face these issues with any other Wifi I connect to and these issues are completely unique to Horizon Wi-Free.

Anybody else running into these problems?

Its complete muck. Unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

robbiezero wrote: »
    Its complete muck. Unusable.

I should point out that I contacted them over their Twitter support and let them know my problem. I've no idea what they did but they fixed it after giving me directions to forget my wifi settings and authenticate again. To this day Horizon Wi-free works just fine for me 95% of the time.

Might be worth talking to @Upcsupport or whatever they're called.

• Advertisement
Advertisement