Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chasing the sub 50 10k - for what seems like forever

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Sorry to hear it didn't go to plan. Like you said, it sounds like a lot of people had a tough day out. How are the legs feeling after it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Oh no that's the total opposite of what I intended. I was trying to encourage you to practice going slower! :D:D

Don't worry I'm still practising the going slower bit!

tailgunner wrote: »
    Sorry to hear it didn't go to plan. Like you said, it sounds like a lot of people had a tough day out. How are the legs feeling after it?

Legs were a bit tight after - heck they were tight during ! They are fine now and looking forward to an 18 mile run on Saturday !

Okay so I panicked - like 600 hundred other folk. As a good Irish citizen I felt it to be my civic duty .

What have I done . Falls to knees.

<I am never racing again >

<O look a race!>

everyone else did it too

Noooooooo!

I also did recovery 5 mile yesterday at 10:25 min miles!

See I'm getting better . Lovely run. Glad to get out of house !

Very tired today . Had a 30 min window with no kids before my club session and went for a nap ! Shoved a few haribo in my mouth before leaving .

Warmed up 3 k @ 5:50 this felt like we were moving very fast and was already thinking maybe I won't to do tempo session I'll just run.

Strides 4*20 secs. May have got confused and did some two hundreds by accident - 20 secs took a long time . Whoops. Only copped after the second one :) - didn't tell the others - just moved swiftly on !

Then 3 * 1600 with jog breaks in bewteen . I decided I would try to do these ten k pace as it was unspecified by the schedule .Just about managed it. I had to push hard - it was more like 5k effort for 10k pace .

4:47
    5:05
    5:07

Slow cool down 6:13 min k . Total run was 12.9k @ 5:39
    Left calf tight . Dreading long run - hope energy levels return .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Very tired today . Had a 30 min window with no kids before my club session and went for a nap ! Shoved a few haribo in my mouth before leaving .

Warm up 3 k @ 5:50 this felt like we were moving very fast and was already thinking maybe I won't to do tempo session I'll just run.

Strides 4*20 secs. May have got confused and did some two hundreds by accident - 20 secs took a long time . Whoops. Only copped after the second one :) - didn't tell the others - just moved swiftly on !

Then 3 * 1600 with jog breaks in bewteen . I decided I would try to these ten k pace . Just about managed it. I had to push hard - it was more like 5k effort for 10k pace .

4:47
    5:05
    5:07

Slow cool down 6:13 min k . Total run was 12.9k @ 5:39
    Left calf tight . Dreading long run - hope energy levels return .

This reads to me ;

" felt wrecked but got session done"

Good sign that you're getting through the work even with the half still in your legs, mind that calf!

Duanington wrote: »
    This reads to me ;

" felt wrecked but got session done"

Good sign that you're getting through the work even with the half still in your legs, mind that calf!

Thanks - I did kind of take that from the session I suppose - I have a talent for negativity ! I'm all over watching the calf - two calf tears last year on the other leg as left me paranoid ! Might have to resurrect the calf sleeves ! It will get a going over with the roller tomorrow and a bit of light stretching . May need visit back to physio for some tlc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

No harm in a visit to the physio. I love that sneaky little nap, you're just like an elite! :)

Your times are very similar to mine except for warm ups. You seem to do them very fast, I'd rarely do faster than 6:30 for the first couple of km. Are you doing warm up exercises as well or do you just start running?

• Advertisement

chickey2 wrote: »
    No harm in a visit to the physio. I love that sneaky little nap, you're just like an elite! :)

Your times are very similar to mine except for warm ups. You seem to do them very fast, I'd rarely do faster than 6:30 for the first couple of km. Are you doing warm up exercises as well or do you just start running?

No we just start running . The warm ups are usually silly fast . Gave up trying to slow the group down . We do talk about adding in warm up drills from time to time but has never happened. Although I'm tempted to try again next week as there is some serious sessions coming up!

Would it be an option to do a slow warm-up yourself and then join in with the group?

Would it be an option to do a slow warm-up yourself and then join in with the group?

Tuesday session I can add a k or two slow before meeting - Thursday is a drive from my house and I'm always rushing . I'm going to make a stand next week and do proper warms ups . I want to get the best out of the sessions .

Long run on Saturday called for 29k with 29k easy and 10kMP.

The run started earlier than normal. The brain miscommunicated the start time to the bowels. The bowels did nothing . I had a cup of tea and a protein bar. I peed and the bowels they did nothing. Drove to start of run , ran into mates house ,peed and bowels did nothing

Started running , everyone goes off too fast I have to pull them all back straight away. Bowels start talking to me . I am in the middle of no where so I ignore them and hope they just go on mute . Slowed my own pace hoping others would follow cause got fed up nagging . Stomach starting to cramp a lot but it was coming in waves so it was wasnt constant . Plodded along about 100 m behind the group at a slow pace , not as slow as I would have like but had no clue where I was or how to get back to my car! Happy to be alone because stomach/bowels in bits , thought I was going to have to get into a ditch a couple of times. Decided against gels as I knew I would be a gonner if I took one . Miles slipped by with no sign of public tiolet . Route ccam only be described as undulating after 12k for about 13k. Up down , cramp cramp , etc. We were supposed to speed up at 19k for 10k I did for a 3/4 k until I knew where I was , then just returned to plodding - easier not to poo when going slower! Too much info I know

At 25k there was a tiolet . I passed it - decided I just had to finish the run. My legs started to ache at this point and I was tempted again by gel but decided to keep with the plodding . Finally got there - not without having to run around the car for a bit - then straight to the loo! Phew

First long run with no stopping for gel taking , water buying , peeing etc . And no gels or jellies or anything except 1.5 litres of water . Legs ached at the end but were not heavy . I think retrospectively I may have been able to push through the ache to do MP if I had not have been trying so hard not to well you know.

In real terms though I did PMP for approx 8k scattered in the over all run. Well haven't really settled on one yet but thinking bewteen 5:50 and 6:00. Wanted to get a feel for it but it didn't really work out .

Over all run - 29k @6:04

Had protein recovery shake straight after and protein bar . Got into shower and ouch !! Big friction burn on outside leg . I have had these shorts for ten years , they have be worn for at least 3 half marathons, in 35 degrees , in tropical storms and nada ! Checked the shorts and inside seam ends at spot of burn ! Why now and why the outside of the right leg????Also sporting two very bruised big toes

Recovery run - 5k @ 6:20

Every muscle in legs checked in for a hello one by one. Kept slowing myself down . Felt like I was going real easy . Only things really hurting now are soles of feet , big toes and my first friction burn!

Total for week: 5,8,18,3 = 34mile or 8,13,29,5= 55k

Tonight's session as per schedule: 3k warm up , 8* 400m , 2.5 min recovery jog in bewteen , 2k cool down

Now it's not really possible to run somewhere for 3k find a nice flat place to do 400s and then run only 2k back!

So warm up and cool down were 3.5 k each . Warm up at 5:51 - down a 3k hill so not too fast . Cool down at 6:30 obviously back up same hill.

400s at 5k pace. Haven't done a 5k in years so I thought bewteen 1:50-1:55 secs might be appropriate .

1. 1:53
    2. 1:52
    3. 1:52
    4. 1:52
    5.1:51
    6.1:50
    7.1:48
    8.1:43

Really enjoyed the session . Felt that I really worked hard during the 400s but paced them ok and wasn't going flat out - could start jogging slow straight after to get back to beginning .

The total run was 13k or 8 mile . This week my mileage peaks. This marathon is coming fast !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Seems to be going well for you BS - well done on the long run with no gel by the way, I think you'll benefit a lot more overall by removing those from your training ( and 10k\half marathons!)

Duanington wrote: »
    Seems to be going well for you BS - well done on the long run with no gel by the way, I think you'll benefit a lot more overall by removing those from your training ( and 10k\half marathons!)

Thanks! You might be right ! Didn't really notice the absence at the end of the long run - I felt the same as always only thirstier !

Wednesday - recovery run - 4 mile @ 10:30. Getting good at going slow. I worry that this will be my marathon pace when left to own devices . Only ever seem to do easy/recovery sessions by myself . All the hard stuff done with company !

Calves very tight upon wakening - but tend to loosen up during the day . Right leg was bothering me a lot during the day - seemed to have a pain around Achilles that would activate from time to time as if I had an open cut that banged against a wall. Weird. So a bit stressed going into tonight's session. Brought phone just in case!

Thursday- Warm up was 3.8 k and included 4 sets of 20 second strides
    3*2k tempos at 10k pace with 2.5 min rest/jog breaks in between.

This was a tough session and I was mentally fatigued to start. As the slowest in the group its a challenge to just do your own thing and not panic because the others are faster and may not be doing 10k pace etc.

So the first interval was stupid fast : 730 min mile
    Got smarter after this or just slower because of above and both remaining intervals were done at 7:55 min miles

The cool down was slow. Right at the end my left calf started to hurt and I thought this is it I'm a gonner. Seems fine now I will treat it to a hot water bottle and some tiger balm . Going to call physio in the morning . If I survive saturday ill book an appointment for Monday ! My calves need some TLC . He is going to tell me to quit the the interval/ tempos I would guess . Pity cause they are fun!

Total run was 14k or 8.7 mile

Nice sessions this week, mind that calf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Just catching up on your long run woes :eek: Well done for holding on for 29k... :eek:

Of course, you know you're not a real runner until....

P.s. Running a warm up at PMP is not a warmup!

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    Just catching up on your long run woes :eek: Well done for holding on for 29k... :eek:

Of course, you know you're not a real runner until....

P.s. Running a warm up at PMP is not a warmup!

But it was down a big hill surely that counts :)

I don't want to be a real runner so - for reference though if I did a field would count right?

But it was down a big hill surely that counts :)

I don't want to be a real runner so - for reference though if I did a field would count right?

:pac: yes a field counts! I had my baptism in a quarry, I was very grateful it was there... :o

Wonderful long run today in beautiful irish weather . 20 miles done . Phew

I was extremely nervous of both calves starting out and wasn't convinced id actually finish.

Was obviously not that handy given the conditions . There was never a tailwind - well maybe once for a half a second . We were supposed to do a good chunk at PMP but it seemed unrealistic given the tough week of running we just had and the rough weather. So we settled on just getting it done.

Calves gave out a bit until but settled down after the first ten k or so. Energy levels seemed fine. I took a gel at maybe 14k and again at 24k . I really don't know how people do marathons year after year ! I'm so over these soggy long runs .With 8k left my buddies took off but I settled into a nice steady rhythm and almost enjoyed the trot home. Legs not as sore as last week near the end and probably could have kept going a wee bit longer . No fields or ditches or quarries this week and hoping no initiation is forthcoming !

Can't believe there is only one long run left! Yikes! Can't wait to only do 20k next weekend!

Total run 20 miles at 6:09 min k. Or 32.2k at 9:54 min miles

Managed a 7k recovery run . This time the stakes were large - a go slow competetion. One of the guys had already posted a 6:58 average . I knew I had it . First k was horrendous everything hurt , a lot . Second k was a bit better but still hurt - lapped a pitch for 3k which was better and legs started to loosen out. 2k back home knees started to hurt. The lady said my average was 6:40 so under pressure to go slower. Sweating now . Couldn't do it - 6:44!!

However above opponent has since been disqualified for admitting to walking for 4 mins at start !!!

All results not yet in!

Oh and 45.5 (72k) miles for the week! No wonder I hurt.

Skipped tonight's interval/speed session as not happy with nonsense from both calves . So did nine mile @ PMP instead(5.53min per k) . Well that's just what it turned out to be ! Plan was to do 9 mile on a hilly route easy. I'd say it was more steady then easy , although I was chatting non stop . Calves gave out throughout but remain intact for time being. Legs started giving out near end - big mileage taking its toll. I'm beginning to think I'm the only human in a bunch of stepford runners. Physio tomorrow so expecting dry needling and pain !

Physio visit was no where near as dramatic as I had envisioned . Yes my leftleg in particular is very tight and knotted but not so much to require dry needling .(right leg is too but not to sane degree) Hopefully caught the issue before it gets a chance to develop into anything sinister . Physio massaged legs and gave me a set of calf stretches to do . Three in each leg four times a day . All in all legs seem in good shape all things considered . Only other issue is tight abductors but they don't seem to bother me that much . Probably because I don't know what an abducters is 😄. Bottom line is I have no excuse to avoid tempos tomorrow .

Last night we had 4K warm up, 3*1 mile tempo intervals (at non defined pace ) with 2.5 min slow jog bewteen reps and 2k cool down ,

So it was decided on 10k pace for the intervals but turned out to be more like 5k pace for me . Warm up was stupid fast as well as the heavies were leading the charge and I'm really fed up telling everyone to slow down . (5:40)

Three intervals : 4:48,4:42,451. The middle one had a nice down hill section . The first two felt comfortably hard , and I felt strong . The third one was just hard - it incorporated a smallish steep hill , and then what seemed like a sprint finish to keep the spilts low .

Took me about 500m to get breath back! Cool down @ 6:00

Happy to stop - total distance 12.5k @ 5:33. Right Achilles/calf felt slightly sore after .

12 hours later - 20k run. This was harder then the 32k run last week and legs were tight and sore and stiff . The pace never went below 6:00 min K and the pace over the entire run was 6:10. Maybe not one of my best ideas . Going away for the weekend so didn't want the run hanging over me . Sitting in the car now for mammoth drive with the calf sleeves on (recently rescued from bottom of laundry basket)

Going to try my best to take a break until Tuesday but have runners in car just in case.

I couldn't not run with the day that was in it ! Took myself for an easy run around the Rougey walk way in Bundoran- fabulous undulating views for 7.5k @ 10:25. All over easy running these days!

Total for week : 54.5k or 34 miles .

Tuesday had hills on schedule decided to ignore them . Thought to do a marathon paced run instead . I did 8 miles , with about 5 at fantasy marathon pace on a hilly route. It wasn't a very well planned session I just ran . Overall pace was 5:43 . The run felt a little harder than it should have for the pace . I really need to do a real pMP run . There is none on the schedule ( they are there as part of long run) . So do I dump my 1 mile tempos tomorrow or worry about it next week !!

Went to physio for massage again . Calves not as tight as last week . Abductors still tight but not sore . So legs in good shape despite paranoid worry.

I think 410-415 is a reasonable goal . Wish I hadn't messed up the Rock and roll and had a decent half to guide me . If I go by the rock n roll - double and add twenty minutes I am looking at 420. But that was 5 weeks ago and we still have 3.5 weeks to go! I'll see how the last long one goes and then make a call . I want to enjoy this marathon!

Last night I didn't do a marathon paced run or the 1 mile tempos ! I trained with the guys training for Dublin in the club so did an 8 mile run with 2 mile warm up , 4mile @ hmp and 2 mile cool down . HMP in this instance was average 5:22 min k.

Tired and hungry today and willing this this last long run to be over !

Anyways I seemed to have wandered off the schedule a bit but I think these sessions with continuous running at a steady pace will stand to me . Can't wait for this miraculous taper to do its stuff .

• Advertisement

Happy to report the last twenty miler has been complete . I was going to say LSR but there appears to be a 26k on the schedule for next weekend . This seems a bit OTT to me in comparison to other plans I have been looking at !

Anyways the drenching heavy rain appeared - because who could possibly run 20 miles without being soaked to the skin !

We set off at 7 o clock on a new route for variety. We knew in advance that it would be a bit hilly - a 183 m gain. I live in a valley so to get any distance at all you have to go up and down a lot.

I felt OK until about 15k - at which point I began to feel drained of energy , and right hamstring was beginning to pull . At 15k we had just crested a long climb . Pace was too quick average of about 9:30 min mile . Anyways took a gel and went on my way. This is where I started to play catch up at as I took too long fiddling about with the gel! I Spent the next two k moaning to myself , hating running etc. At 18k we had an emergency tiolet stop (in an actual tiolet) . We then ran a nice down hill with a criss cross back over to the other side of the river

I was still cantering slightly behind at the 21k mark and still feeling sorry for myself . The next six k was flatish with some up and downs . Took a gel at 22k. The others charged off into the distance. Was glad when the finally disappeared - less pressure . Pace just clipping along with mile 16 being the slowest at @ 9:42. Took another gel at 27k at the bottom of the 5k climb back to my car . I was still feeling sorry for myself but in reality I was strong . The climb wasn't one big hill but a series of hills with flat bits in bewteen right until the end . I just kept plugging away not really thinking about pace . I spent this time trying to figure out what would I drink in Berlin afterwards , and how could I avoid a draft beer hangover ! Will there be bottled beer!! Oh the worry .
    Miles 18 and 19 were the slowest @ 9:55. I don't think I changed the effort just kept motoring. The last mile seemed to be the fastest @9:21. The legs went into turbo charge to make up an extra 500m at the end as route was a bit short!

Happy that I still had a bit of kick. I always question myself wondering should I have tried to keep up with the others. I know in reality that it's just silly trying to push that hard over twenty miles when it's not a race.

The run over all was 5:57 or 9:34 . I'll take that in Berlin thanks.

Legs did weird things after for about 10 mins- I am assuming cramps - like weird sore tingling .

Can't believe it's done ! Yay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

I see your still running LR way to fast:) take it handy next week and
    Make sure body recovers well, don't want to blow it now , good to finish
    LR like that feeling strong.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    I see your still running LR way to fast:) take it handy next week and
    Make sure body recovers well, don't want to blow it now , good to finish
    LR like that feeling strong.

Hah, beat me to it with that comment.

was just reading your Berlin and Dublin thread... Don't underestimate the stress on your body of 2 marathons so close to each other, especially for a relative novice. Berlin is the fastest, flattest major and your training is geared for that, I would say go for it there and see how you feel going into DCM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I don't understand why you are switching sessions and still running too fast? 20 miles at MP a few weeks before Berlin? Thats how to leave your marathon on the training ground. It seems you've been advised about this repeatedly so I assume you have a reason to ignore the advice? Hope it goes well for you, but you're not really doing yourself any favours.

Murph_D wrote: »
    I don't understand why you are switching sessions and still running too fast? 20 miles at MP a few weeks before Berlin? Thats how to leave your marathon on the training ground. It seems you've been advised about this repeatedly so I assume you have a reason to ignore the advice? Hope it goes well for you, but you're not really doing yourself any favours.

I switched sessions to avoid hills and speed work becuase I'm nervous about my calves as I have had the bad fortune to tear my calf before a target race .

I know the long runs are too fast in general . In my defence it didn't feel like race pace . Not the point I know . I am like a broken record with my group asking them to slow down . I think the prevalence of runners groups on Facebook scare people into thinking that slow is bad. I'm a grown up I know I could run slow by myself . However I have no desire to run these distances by myself . I run for fitness, weight management and because I like the social element . I like chatting on long runs and gossiping and finding out new stuff about people etc. It's my hobby and while I like to challenge myself - running 20 miles in the pouring rain of a Saturday morning by myself is not my idea of fun. It motivates me to do it if I have people to meet , if this was not the case I can say without a shadow of a doubt I would not do the mileage. I pull back when the guys speed up at the end and don't try to match pace.

Also for arguments sake the club schedule had 4K easy , 10k MP, 4K easy , 10k MP, 4K easy.

5 miles recovery at a nice slow pace of 10:25!

Total mileage for week 41 miles

Having a real blah week. So over this running lark .

Went out on Tuesday to do 10*200 at 5k pace with jog recovery. . 3k warm up and 5k cool cool down.

The only place we could find to do the intervals in grass involved a downward slope . Not huge but significant enough to make a difference . Needless to say it was faster then 5k pace. Swallowed a stupid fly/giant daddy long legs and spent at least 5 intervals choking on the blighter. Cool down was as fast as I could go @ 6:25. Finished on a I hate running buzz , could barely put one foot in front of the other . (Total 11k)

Didn't bother doing the easy run on Wednesday I reckoned the rest would be more beneficial and not doing 30 mins of slow running wouldn't make or break my marathon. . Slept like a log for ten hours on Wednesday and woke up still feeling groggy on Thursday . Forced myself out the door dragging my feet behind me .

Session called 6miles at MP - with 1 mile warm up and cool down. First 6k felt like death just wanted to stop , it took all of my energy to put one foot in front if the other! Then it was grand - I was able to keep running and rejoin the conversation . Found it difficult to do PMP and kept slipping back to FMP ( fantasy marathon pace) . Average spilt for 6 miles being 10/15 secs faster then PMP.(5:41) Very hard to control pace - even when I wilting the legs were churning out a slightly faster pace . On the bright side energy levels back to normal - just a shaky couple of days . I need a strategy for the marathon . I also need to remember to push through the treacle as generally its ok out the other end .

We had to run 25k today which seems excessive for a taper but anyways it's done ! So the real taper starts now . No rain which was a big plus. Hated the run completely for 22k , big gang setting out , pace all over the place . I was wearing socks I hadn't worn in a while and I could feel them slipping down in my sock- stopped to adjust and notice a blister forming on my heel, luckily someone else had a plaster so never got to stage where I couldn't run.

The man in my head did not want to be running and whined all the way around . My hamstring felt a little tight , and I had a major dose of sniffles . I got clipped by a car - wing mirror , and got lapped at the end despite pulling a strong finish from no where . On 22k my split was 6:39 and I was ready to throw the towel at it and then somehow I found myself finishing up hill on 5:30.

Well what actually happened was that I lost the posse because I was going so slow and found myself on a road that I knew couldn't be pArt of the route so asked directions from two guys running with their dog . So I ended up turning around and running behind them.
    This was too weird so while the man in my head mulled this over I over took them and had a rocket like finish (the last 3k in a nine min mile ) .

2 mins earlier I was ready to stop and could of sworn I had little to no energy to carry on . Thinking I will need to add strides or something in the marathon to avoid ruts .

Anyways looking forward to celebrating taper time with a bottle of wine as soon as its respectable !

Hope you didn't damage car to much:D enjoy the taper.

• Advertisement

Easy run Sunday 7.5 k @ 6:05 on grass

I was scheduled to do 2k wArm up ,3*800 @ 5k pace , 1.5 min recovery jogs, 2k cool down . I didn't make the session due to logistics so went out at lunchtime today and scooted around st Stephens green for a bit .

So actual session
    2.8k warm up @ 6:00
    .8@ 5:00 min k
    .8@ 4:48 min k
    1k cool down @6:03
    Total run 6.1 k

Legs didn't feel too refreshed . Right hammer quite tight - please be taper related . Going to give it a roll later . It's taking me longer and longer to warm up and to get legs moving .

Another session planned tomorrow featuring 400s at 5k pace . All seems slightly odd as does the 20k on Saturday which is getting cut short for sure.

A session two days in a row seems a bit mad for the taper, no?

What was actually on the schedule was above but I was supposed to go yesterday with 6k slow today and the 400s tomorrow .

I didn't get out yesterday so did I did a bit of yesterday's session today and was planning to do the schedule tomorrow . Do you think this is too much . ? Today was handy apart from the 2 800s. Tomorrows session makes no sense to me - don't see the point really

Ah right. To my untrained eye, it looks like it might be a bit much at this late stage.

Having said that, I'm in no position to be giving advice when my 5 mile easy runs are stressing me out!

I would ask whoever devised the plan, it's always hard looking at a
    session in isolation. But does not seem much point in doing another
    speed session at this late stage, I know I had a 12 mile Sunday run
    two weeks out and as it was at easy pace no ill effects.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    I know I had a 12 mile Sunday run
    two weeks out and as it was at easy pace no ill effects.

We're only a week out this Sunday though!

20k doesn't sound too bad, but I doubt I'll go that far myself. 10 miles will be about 100 minutes of running for me which sounds like plenty.

• Advertisement

We're only a week out this Sunday though!

20k doesn't sound too bad, but I doubt I'll go that far myself. 10 miles will be about 100 minutes of running for me which sounds like plenty.

Ah, probably little long, just take it easy what ever the mileage, nothing to
    be gained now anyway. Thought it was 2 weeks out

Thanks lads for the advice - I e-mailed the gaffer and he advised a 50 min easy run tonight instead of the 400s. I think I had decided I would run easy anyway but I was curious to see the response ! I won't run 20k sat - hopefully will do 10 mile tops !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

Thanks lads for the advice - I e-mailed the gaffer and he advised a 50 min easy run tonight instead of the 400s. I think I had decided I would run easy anyway but I was curious to see the response ! I won't run 20k sat - hopefully will do 10 mile tops !

What does the gaffer think of you running two marathons?

Curious to know your coaches opinion on this.

It was kind of an of the cuff thing but he is giving me a bridging schedule , no idea what to expect. He doesnt seem to think it is a problem as long as we let our bodies recover in the bewteen times ! Not fully committed to the second one until I have the first one done . Just fancy the dublin medal is all and I am a sheep.

So five Mile easy done @ 6:09.

First k was torture legs all creaky and took a while to loosen out . Felt OK after a while - the guys were chatting away whilst running their version of easy but my body seems to have been corrupted by the boards and just hung back in the shadows at its own slow pace . Felt much more comfortable plodding alone . But my brain is in a panic - is this as fast as I can go - why am I slower then ever , why does my everything ache !!! I'm assuming that I am nuts and that all will be well . I know the pace was slow because when I stopped I didn't even need to pause for breadth when running to catch the train for ten seconds yesterday had me winded!

• Advertisement
Advertisement