Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chasing the sub 50 10k - for what seems like forever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Slow ten mile done and dusted - in my mind the slow pace felt tough but when I stopped my breathing was like I just got off the sofa and I didn't break a sweat. Calf ,Achilles hamstring all said hello.

This is really going down . Whoops. Starting to get excited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

How's the taper going Bluesquare? Nearly there now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best luck on Sunday BS, enjoy the day and have a good one.

tailgunner wrote: »
    How's the taper going Bluesquare? Nearly there now!

Wish it was over ! The week is dragging so much . Just want it done ! Did a 6k yesterday with some pick ups then 6k tomorrow then that's it .

Had a final rub from the physio - gentle . Legs in good order so no excuses in that front .

I seem to be getting a cold - sneezing like looney for the last coulpe of days but hoping it's just readjusting to the air con ( bsck at work after summer off)

Starting to panic over packing . Hate packing .

Bring it on !!!

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Best luck on Sunday BS, enjoy the day and have a good one.

Thanks Kennyg! I am actually looking forward to it at this stage !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck! Hope you have a great race and enjoy yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Hope you have a fantastic race and a great Berlin experience! looking forward to hearing all about it. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of luck, have a great race. Looking forward to the report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭biketard

Good luck, Bluesquare!

The very best of luck on Sunday. Might see you after it hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a great race!

Thanks all ! Soon it will be all over !!

tailgunner wrote: »
    The very best of luck on Sunday. Might see you after it hopefully!

I'll post my number on the Berlin thread when I get a chance ! Will try to go to the after location mentioned ! Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Best of luck! Hope it goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Thanks all ! Soon it will be all over !!

Hope you enjoy every minute!! As much as you can while running a marathon of course. Looking forward to hearing about it. Very best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

+1 All the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Best Of Luck BS Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Good luck tomorrow. Hope all goes well and more importantly that you enjoy it!

Well how did it go BS.

• Advertisement

Great to meet you this morning, hope your race went well!

Well how did it go BS.

The suspense is killing me.... !?!!?!? Hopefully you are busy celebrating!!!

Stop holding out on us! :) Hope all went well.

Morning all ,

Didn't have a chance to post before now - too busy enjoying the weekend . Fab weekend , amazing experience pity about the race !

4 27 15. Obviously not happy but the Brandenburg gate is my favourite monument in the world!
    Don't know what happened . I just gave up at 18k , the little man said why don't you get on the u bahn this is pointless. So I just start walking for a bit . It was all going well up to this point . Nice slow start before settling into a 550- 555 pace . Got through half way at 206 and then started walking . Developed a seroius water addiction - I had drank the 500ml I had at this point and then drank 2 glasses of water every stop , got another 500 more from husband at 27k but still kept stopping for more . Ran out of that water at 35k and still I kept stopping - I knew I couldn't really be thirsty but I was craving the stuff !

Any I have gotten ahead of myself after I stop started etc for a while around the half way mark a fellow runner approached me and said "you and I have been stopping a lot maybe we should run together for a while . " This gesture saved me from hopping on the u Bahn. I managed to keep it together for another 3k - unfortunately my new friend couldn't keep going . I promised myself I could stop after I met the lads at 27k.

Then I started walking a lot again , it's all a bit of a blur really , don't really know why I was walking , I guess I was tired and had given up and was so thirsty .

The crowd were amazing , great distractions , belly dancers , cheer leaders, pipe bands , samba bands etc!

The course was super if a little dull .

I continued dodling until about 35k where I had a seroius word with the stupid little man . I decided I could run 7k and stop with the messing - ran about 2k and met my buddy with serious cramping and injury so just made sure she was ok before setting off again. I ran out of water and start needing more. Stopped at one last water station , took last gel and ran the last 5k. I thought I was pegging it but I was crawling . Never looked at watch from about 18k because I simply just wanted it to end .

Delighted to see gate -and managed a sprint finish ! Once finished could barely move and slowly went looking for the guys - drinking everything I could find - water, tea, beer, energy drinks.
    Didn't pee for hours later! Don't know what the water issue was - bizzare.

My excuses are below:

Wasn't that interested in target it was a bit meaningless

Hadn't slept since Wednesday due to committing the cardinal sin of running a marathon . Stupidly followed advice to drink beetroot juice everyday for five days. Yes I had never even tasted the stuff before . Severe stomach cramps and heartburn after the 3rd day that kept me awake for two nights. Idiot

Had not really processed what racing a marathon meant .

Woman hormone crap.

I am not a marathon runner

Anyways flight about to take off .

Need to catch up on the half marathon race reports . Hopefully you guys had a better story to tell .

Big well done to Tailgunner. Great to meet you if very bizarre giving the chances !

Would recommend Berlin as a race - world class :) .

Also one last thing . Garmin said 42.75 which I was expecting but record on same garmin said marathon with the exact time ! It's killing me to know why . Googled it but can't find anything . Anyways later!

One further update - it was my "c" goal . A pb by 7 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Quote "I am not a marathon runner"

Yes you are! You just ran a marathon! Not to your best ability, but you did it.
    Sounds like you were dehydrated. Was it just water you were drinking or did you have any sports drinks or electrolyte drinks? They're worth trying before Dublin. Flying can also dehydrate you a bit so that wouldn't help.
    Take everything you've learnt and make plans for Dublin. You've put in the hard work already, you just need a bit of recovery and a sensible plan and you can take a big chunk off that time in Dublin.

chickey2 wrote: »

Sounds like you were dehydrated. Was it just water you were drinking or did you have any sports drinks or electrolyte drinks? They're worth trying before Dublin. Flying can also dehydrate you a bit so that wouldn't help.
    Take everything you've learnt and make plans for Dublin. You've put in the hard work already, you just need a bit of recovery and a sensible plan and you can take a big chunk off that time in Dublin.

Not sure about dehydration before hand - but I'm deffo dehydrated now ! Didn't drink sports drink in training so wasn't keen in introducing them . I had taken some zero before the race and the night before and had some in my pocket but didn't use. My initial thoughts were against ever running another marathon but now I'm like - it couldn't be any worse so why not !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Congratulations On The PB Bluesquare , Sounds like that PB was hard earned. Well Done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

chickey2 wrote: »

Definitely agree with Chicken, you didn't running to the best of your ability. I thought you were on for a 4.10.
    Just make sure your head is in the right place before thinking of Dublin.

I don't think you were dehydrated, just my opinion.
    Signs of dehydration would be dry mouth, dizzy spells etc.
    Maybe the drinking water was a distraction for your mind?

I think you have that sub 50 10k and sub 4 marathon if u get into the right frame of mind.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Congratulations On The PB Bluesquare , Sounds like that PB was hard earned. Well Done.

Didn't know it was a pb. Well done Bs. Don't. Be so hard on yourself.

joesoap5 wrote: »
    Definitely agree with Chicken, you didn't running to the best of your ability. I thought you were on for a 4.10.
    Just make sure your head is in the right place before thinking of Dublin.

I don't think you were dehydrated, just my opinion.
    Signs of dehydration would be dry mouth, dizzy spells etc.
    Maybe the drinking water was a distraction for your mind?

I think you have that sub 50 10k and sub 4 marathon if u get into the right frame of mind.

I do agree with you on the hydration or lack there of . I think it was my excuse for walking . I did have a dry mouth but no dizzy spells or anything . I think not really caring about 410 had a lot to do with it . But in the end I was glad I did it and didn't quit !

sorry to hear didn't go fully to plan, but you finished and with a PB so well done. Recover well and come back stronger, friend of mine
    did Berlin Marathon also, he is about 19min for 5k but took over 4.30 hrs, his training didn't go fully to Plan with life taking over, but he
    said defiantly will try again, just about having a look back at training and refining or maybe just one of those days.

• Advertisement

sorry to hear didn't go fully to plan, but you finished and with a PB so well done. Recover well and come back stronger, friend of mine
    did Berlin Marathon also, he is about 19min for 5k but took over 4.30 hrs, his training didn't go fully to Plan with life taking over, but he
    said defiantly will try again, just about having a look back at training and refining or maybe just one of those days.

Thanks - think it was one of those days. I think my body is plenty fit enough it's my mental training that needs a shake up!!! Maybe in Dublin I'll be hungrier - a redemption run !

I'm definitely going to start doing park runs over the winter - need to become used the pain of racing . Becoming to precious in my old age !

The Muppet wrote: »

Cheers!

Thanks - think it was one of those days. I think my body is plenty fit enough it's my mental training that needs a shake up!!! Maybe in Dublin I'll be hungrier - a redemption run !

I'm definitely going to start doing park runs over the winter - need to become used the pain of racing . Becoming to precious in my old age !

defiantly the Mental side as important as fitness, the atmosphere in Dublin
    defiantly will carry you along, make sure you recover well as endurance
    will still be there. What's the plan to carry you over to Dublin.

defiantly the Mental side as important as fitness, the atmosphere in Dublin
    defiantly will carry you along, make sure you recover well as endurance
    will still be there. What's the plan to carry you over to Dublin.

Waiting to get the schedule from the club coach . Resting now!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hi BS, well done on toughing it out, some lessons we can only learn the hard way. I hope you give the marathon another go at some point.

Don't dwell on this one too much but enjoy the recovery and you'll come back stronger once you are back.

Sorry to hear it didn't go as well as hoped but PB all the same, don't be too hard on yourself!

From following your log I think you have it in you physically to run a solid marathon from beginning to end. Is it possible you ran yourself a bit too hard in training at times trying to keep up with the faster runners in your club?

Ah, sorry to hear it didn't go to plan.

I can relate to being thirsty. It started getting quite warm from around midday, and I found myself stopping at nearly every water station after the halfway mark.

Not saying it was definitely dehydration, but I wouldn't dismiss it outright either.

Anyway, you put in a solid block of training over the summer, and are well capable of hitting that 4:10 target.

Bottom line is I bottled it - I can't really come up with anything else that makes sense . I think there were contributing factors that would have slowed me down but not enough that I hit a mental wall so early on .

Anyway I need to get over myself . Dublin will be different I'm telling myself - I will be trying to save face as every second person know is doing it .

I need to do something . Well once my legs are working again !

I think a pace group might be the answer to my whatever that messing was .

My husband said to stop feeling sorry for myself and and just do Dublin and not walk!

Sorry to hear it didn't go as well as hoped but PB all the same, don't be too hard on yourself!

From following your log I think you have it in you physically to run a solid marathon from beginning to end. Is it possible you ran yourself a bit too hard in training at times trying to keep up with the faster runners in your club?

The long runs may have been a bit fast at times but they never felt that hard . The last one was tiring though - tough recovery. I'm here telling myself I need to race more to get used to discomfort! Unless I train by myself I don't really have options .

If a person was to attempt a redemption run what would you guys suggest had a bridging schedule to Dublin? Would I need to do a 20 miler the week after next? Easy runs for two weeks and low mileage ?

• Advertisement

Wouldn't get to down on yourself BS, the marathon is tuff and you did it
    no shame in having to walk, getting it done and knowing you can complete
    the distance really help with head stuff in Dublin, learn a mantra they
    really help to refocus mind if going to pot, think you are fine on speed stuff
    maybe few MP miles at end of LR or MLR to get used to turning over when tired.
    But most important is to rest up and come back slowly.

Wouldn't get to down on yourself BS, the marathon is tuff and you did it
    no shame in having to walk, getting it done and knowing you can complete
    the distance really help with head stuff in Dublin, learn a mantra they
    really help to refocus mind if going to pot, think you are fine on speed stuff
    maybe few MP miles at end of LR or MLR to get used to turning over when tired.
    But most important is to rest up and come back slowly.

Thanks Kenny ! I have feeling sorry for myself down to a fine art! What's MLR? The one mantra that made me finish was " I havent come this far to come this far" .

I was thinking of a slow 5k on Thursday and mAybe a slow 5 mile at the weekend . I think I need a pacer with a whip!!

If a person was to attempt a redemption run what would you guys suggest had a bridging schedule to Dublin? Would I need to do a 20 miler the week after next? Easy runs for two weeks and low mileage ?

Yeah, whatever you do dont do any speed work between now and then even if your coach gives you speed work in the plan. Its going to do nothing much for you at this stage.

Best you could do is just keep ticking over until then and as you said said two weeks beforehand of very low mileage as theres nothing to be gained in the last two weeks.

I'm not sure if you need to do a 20 miler, i guess it depends on how recovered you feel in yourself. You already know you can do the distance. Maybe a 16 miler if you're tired. Why dont you send Myles Splitz a mail. He organises plans for people on here and I'm sure he'd give you some advice.

Yeah, whatever you do dont do any speed work between now and then even if your coach gives you speed work in the plan. Its going to do nothing much for you at this stage.

Best you could do is just keep ticking over until then and as you said said two weeks beforehand of very low mileage as theres nothing to be gained in the last two weeks.

I'm not sure if you need to do a 20 miler, i guess it depends on how recovered you feel in yourself. You already know you can do the distance. Maybe a 16 miler if you're tired. Why dont you send Myles Splitz a mail. He organises plans for people on here and I'm sure he'd give you some advice.

Cheers - who is myles and where do I get his eyes-mail address! I think I need a longish run to prove to myself I don't need to stop every km for water etc !

Ah myles spitz get it now! Blame Two days post marathon on the beer in Berlin!

Ah myles spitz get it now! Blame Two days post marathon on the beer in Berlin!

haha, no hes a user here. Look him up, he has a log.
    Send him a PM, hes a good guy.

Probably get best advice from your club, keep everything really slow, no
    speed work. You'll just need to keep ticking over, defiantly no need for
    20 miles, you've just did 26 miles you can cover the distance all about
    maintenance. MLR medium long run, if you ask MurphD he may be able to
    give a bit of advice as he ran Boston then Cork, so may have more insight.

Your legs will let you know when they are ready, I would only run 11-12 min
    miles nice and easy once ready for first couple of runs.

Cheers Kenny - you have been a great help !

haha, no hes a user here. Look him up, he has a log.
    Send him a PM, hes a good guy.

Cheers - thanks for the advice

• Advertisement

Hey BS, sounds like you had a tough day... But you finished, well done for that!!

Be careful in the lead up to Dublin, you have to allow some recovery too, and keep away from any strange foods next time!! :eek:

Advertisement