Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chasing the sub 50 10k - for what seems like forever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

annapr wrote: »
    Hey BS, sounds like you had a tough day... But you finished, well done for that!!

Be careful in the lead up to Dublin, you have to allow some recovery too, and keep away from any strange foods next time!! :eek:

Cheers. Believe me I'll never touch beetroot juice again !

It was Thursday morning before I could use the stairs without grimacing . I held tough until Friday before going for a recovery run . I thought before I left the house - just run dont worry about fast or slow just enjoy it .

The first k I felt like whooping and hollering - legs felt just dinky. Then the streets became thick with treacle and I could barely run . I won't lie it freaked me out . Some of the club guys who raced at the weekend we're back to the club on Tuesday running as normal ! What is wrong with me !!! I stopped taking my iron mid last week as I thought - yeah I've been taking it for 5 months now my levels should be fine .

Came home and took iron vitamin b and vitamin d . Now worried that iron is too high / too low etc etc . I know it could be post marathon fatigue but I did feel crap for about a month before but I put it down to the hard training . Which of course it probably was . I'm going to go back on the iron and get tested during the week .

Hopefully as I start my new schedule I'll start to feel ok .

Thanks joe soap for directing me to Myles . Thanks Myles for the schedule and the advice . It's great to have feedback from an experienced runner.

So next week I'm starting with new schedule with the aim being to maintain fitness and try to redeem myself in Dublin . Even if by redemption I mean enjoy the Dublin marathon and walk less.

So if you ignore the rant above written by the old me . The new me is positive and open to embracing all sorts of mantras and mind tricks to keep the legs moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done on finishing your marathon on what sounds like a tough day for you.... Take it very easy and hopefully you'll get to the Dublin startline in one piece. Don't be too hard on yourself!

Morning,

Week 1

Tuesday

Schedule 6 miles steady @ 5:50- 6:00

Actual 6 miles @ 5:53

This was quite unpleasant - felt like I was going to be sick at the end . Stopped at exactly 6 miles and walked the extra k to my house . Conclusion not recovered from marathon

Wednesday :

schedule 4 miles easy ( easy being from 605 min k )
    Actual 4 miles @ 10 min mile

This run was ok - felt fine after . Not sure I could have changed the pace mind .

Thursday :

Schedule : 4 miles easy
    Actual : nada

Despite lugging gear to work etc didn't manage to get out . Whoops

Saturday :

Schedule : 4 Mile easy
    Actual : 4.5 mile easy @ 10 min mile . This ten min mile is becoming my new default pace . This running lark is getting easier.

Sunday:

Schedule : 10 miles easy
    Actual: 10 miles @ 10:02

This felt normalish- and probably could have kept going for a bit .

Still not convinced I'll actually line up for another marathon . I'm currently trying to inhale positive mantras etc! Calves are tight so need to get the roller back out .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Bluesquare wrote: »
    This ten min mile is becoming my new default pace .

Won't do you any harm imo! :)

• Advertisement

I royally messed up the run last night . I'm the pace guru in the group , the rest of the guys don't do pace conversions on the run etc.

Anyways 6 of us set out using Myles plan ( thanks Myles ). Only three of us are in transition from Berlin to Dublin but some of the other guys from the Dublin group decided that our scheduled run was the job ! Anyways schedule had two mile easy, 3 mile steady, 2 mile MP.( not my pace from Berlin)

So first of all the people in front went the wrong way and everyone followed which messed with my terrain plan. First 2 mile were more or less down a hill, all done at a nice easy pace of a ten min mile.

Then I'm like take it up a step people - groaning because I knew a huge steep 1k hill was on the horizon . ( steady pace lowest pace is approx 930) So we stepped it up but the pace wasn't getting much better - it was still hovering around 950. So off we go silently up the hill trying to maintain the effort.

About 300m after we created the the top of the hill the pace had fallen to about 948 but no where near 930. The others asked a couple of times are we ok for pace as it felt like we were fairly moving . I am like no lads we are still no where near 930.

Another little hill appears and at this stage the pace had dropped to about 933 - so I'm thinking that will do if I can just maintain this. I was already repeating my new mantras in my head - I feel fantastic - I have this - 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc . People were chatting to me but I was panicked that I was going so slow for so much effort so was just passively nodding back.

We got to five miles and the guys in front pushed the pace again but I was struggling to maintain the pace I was doing and was still counting in my head in the hope it would be over quicker .

Then suddenly Eureka !! What a bleedin' idiot I had set my watch to average pace last week so I could get the easy running paced right . So the I knew that the push up the hill etc wasn't as bad as it seemed .Phew. I totally relaxed at this point and enjoyed the run home.

So I ended up doing three miles in the middle at 910 - which include the charge up the 1k mountain and another smaller hillock. No wonder I was puffed at the end . By the 6th mile I was struggling but thought I was maintaining a 933 pace which kept slipping a bit (940) and the last mile after relaxing came in at 930.

So not really sure what to make of the run only that it doesn't take a lot to panic me. Have a head cold and not feeling the running love. Still on the fence about Dublin !

Not happy to have messed up the plan because wanted to actually follow it - as still in recovery mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Wouldn't worry to much about loss of pace on hills it's more about the effort,
    will all balance over longer distance. You hit nail on the head don't panic relax
    you body will let you know what's easy or steady.

Wednesday

Plan called for 5 mile easy . 5 mile easy it got @ 9:58 min miles. Respitory system working way to hard here .

Exhausted after this run , shivering , ached everywhere so went to bed incredibly early . After ten hours sleep felt ok the next day .

Thursday

Plan - 5 miles easy .

I was working from home today and for some reason couldn't face going outside at lunch time . I hopped on the treadmill and did five ten minute miles whilst watching Netflix. Again felt breathing a bit too strained at the end . Again fell into bed exhausted very early . Now feeling fine sigh!

Had to postpone long run on Saturday last week because was in bed with a flu type thing it had been coming on all week and on Saturday I was floored .

Of course on Sunday I had to do the 13 miles . I really needed those 13 miles . I was a little bit better and determined to run . I was ready to give up all sympathy for my unwell state !

So off I went -13 ten min miles in the bag. Felt OK apart from the unnatural sweating . Actually felt better after the run .

Anyways Tuesday evening I ran 6 miles steady @ 5:55. This felt better then the previous week but still too hard for the pace .

Wednesday I ran 4 mile, it was supposed to be easy but I admit it I may have went a little too fast . It was not my fault really . I went with some work buddies at lunch who had upped the pace since the last time I ran with them . I was forced into pretending I was Mrs fit chick . I couldn't let them be faster , no no !
    Anyways I didn't go that fast just a nine min mile - I was pleased with my attack on Christchurch hill . Amazing what a bit of competetion does !

Thursday - I stuck to the plan and did a nice ten min mile 4 miler. Admittedly it was actually the first time in a long while that I had to keep slowing down to maintain the pace .

Calves didn't seem to be in good shape , going downstairs ouchy! I have been kind if ignoring the fact I am supposed to be found another marathon in 8 days so neglecting stretching and rolling etc etc !

So off to the physio with me ! Hoping he would give me a get of jail free card . He laughed at me said I was in good shape and that my recovery/Maintence schedule was obviously doing its job! I'm like no mate you got it wrong my calves are wasted here/ at least give me dry needling and a warning ! No such luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Very quiet in here, hope all is well. Best of luck tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Thanks TG but I'm not running . :(

Quiet cause feeling very sorry for self.

My neck and jaw were niggling a lot after Berlin - I thought maybe dental problems but couldn't pinpoint a sore tooth. Decided to ignore it until after dcm. However on Monday my neck was really sore and I noticed a swelling . Long story short I was diagnosed with some thing called thyroiditis of which an over active thyroid is one of the syptoms . Happy with the weightloss but not to pleased with the sore neck and very rapid heart rate etc. They think it was probably caused by a virus which means only temporary (phew) Then just when I was down - another kick - I developed a chest infection and found out that once again I had iron anemia . I mean wtf!

Reading back over my log I should have realised there was something going on. Ah well.

Anyways I am out of running for a bit . Could have been worse- could have ran the thing and gave myself a heart attack ! The diagnosis was the best possible one .

I am glad I was following the schedule Myles gave me instead of trying to do crazy stuff .

I will be back for the sub 50. So watch this space .

Rest up and get better, hope all settles down soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

You've been through the wars. So sorry to hear about all of this.
    Really hope you're back at it super quick and no doubt that sub 50 (and a lot more) will be yours before long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Sorry to hear that bur glad you were sensible and got checked out. There's always other marathons so take your time and recover properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Sorry to hear your news BS, get well soon and you'll be right back at it.

Very sorry to hear that, mind yourself!

Thankfully my health issue is not a lifelong issue just a stupid virus that's effect last about a year

Running can be cruel . But hey it happens to most of us that through injury or whatever .

I hate the fact that I had a crap run in Berlin and didn't make Dublin despite all the training. But I did learn that I can run 5 days a week without getting injured . I hate to admit it but me and Dublin will need to have our day . Probably not till 2018 but have already agreed over lots of beer to drag a buddy from the coach to dcm . Chances are she won't get off coach

I am trying to run right now but taking it easy - an 8k Thursday was an achievement so have no goals right now except to keep legs ticking over .

I'm back to basics running if I can when I can and as fast or slow as the mood takes me . It's liberating really and helps me remember why I run to start with!

And oh have a new garmin with heart rate monitor and it's great fun playing with it.

Good to see you back at it!

It's been a while but I seem to be back where I left off before Berlin . I'm still chasing that elusive sub 50 and it's so close I have my facebook speech prepared . Not that I normally post runs up there but hey this will be an exception , might go nuts and post on RSP page . I have a "post run" photo ready and I can just see the garmin pic!!

Seriously though it took me 4 months to catch my old contemporaries . Now I'm back and feeling good ( well I do have some moans but I'll save them for another day ), energy levels are back to normal, recovery is slightly more timely but hey have to be thankful to be able to give it socks .

I ran two ten ks in the last month . Dundalk 10k and the Boyne 10k. They were only five days apart but hey you have to run your home town gig! Going into Dundalk I was not convinced I had the stamina to keep a good pace for 10k so I was aiming for a 25min 5k and a see what happens . I just about managed this and struggled for the rest of the race coming in at 51:50.

The second race was a very tough hilly course and I enjoyed it immensely. I think it's because there was no pressure as in I had messed up this race a million times so wasn't really bothered by the outcome . Had a cracker of a race and was the only person in the club to beat the Dundalk time ( by 25 secs) .

I managed to place beside my friends who had bet me by 1:40 five days before. So I'm hoping this means I'm in reasonable shape for the big push!

Anyways of course I have gotten sidetracked and managed to sign up for a half in June - so need to think about that for a couple of weeks .

I think fingal will be my target race but I'm hoping to do dunshauglin and duleek aswell so fingers crossed my stars will align in one of these days.

No marathons this year !

Welcome back BS, shouldn't be long now by sounds of it to going under 50 mins.

• Advertisement

My training has been a tad sporadic since the Boyne 10k a month ago - I'm kind of doing what I can whenever I can.

So a quick breakdown starting last week :

Tuesday : 6*400m with 3 min rest in between .

These were done on grass at average of around 1:37. They hurt . My brain was looping . "This pace is ok, i think I'm going to die , maybe I'll just stop,keep moving one foot in front of the other, nearly there just push and it will be done! "

Thursday: 2k warm up @ 9:40
    2k steady @ 9
    2k tempo @8:15
    2k hard@ 7:59
    2k cool down@ 9:40

This session was not pleasant - all paces felt hard and really struggled with breathing near the end . Not convinced I was fully recovered from the Tuesday session.

Saturday : long "steady" run . Yes back to the old chestnut of long runs too fast .

20k @ 9:10

This was ok - chatty for the most but last 5k heads down and ponied home .

I know these runs are too fast - but as I have said before despite numerous attempts to slow peeps down - i have given up . I have no desire to run these runs by myself and enjoy these gossipy runs so despite going against the popular training academia they are beneficial even if it's only to clear head space !

Monday : 5k @ 26:06 at lunch .

Nasty little run . I wanted to try a speedy little jaunt because due to kitchen changing circumstances was missing a 5k race yesterday .

I couldn't run under an 8 min mile until I took a rest at 4K .

Yes I know the long run - not recovered properly etc . Also me and lunchtime running aren't friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

My training has been a tad sporadic since the Boyne 10k a month ago - I'm kind of doing what I can whenever I can.

So a quick breakdown starting last week :

Tuesday : 6*400m with 3 min rest in between .

These were done on grass at average of around 1:37. They hurt . My brain was looping . "This pace is ok, i think I'm going to die , maybe I'll just stop,keep moving one foot in front of the other, nearly there just push and it will be done! "

Thursday: 2k warm up @ 9:40
    2k steady @ 9
    2k tempo @8:15
    2k hard@ 7:59
    2k cool down@ 9:40

This session was not pleasant - all paces felt hard and really struggled with breathing near the end . Not convinced I was fully recovered from the Tuesday session.

Saturday : long "steady" run . Yes back to the old chestnut of long runs too fast .

20k @ 9:10

This was ok - chatty for the most but last 5k heads down and ponied home .

I know these runs are too fast - but as I have said before despite numerous attempts to slow peeps down - i have given up . I have no desire to run these runs by myself and enjoy these gossipy runs so despite going against the popular training academia they are beneficial even if it's only to clear head space !

Monday : 5k @ 26:06 at lunch .

Nasty little run . I wanted to try a speedy little jaunt because due to kitchen changing circumstances was missing a 5k race yesterday .

I couldn't run under an 8 min mile until I took a rest at 4K .

Yes I know the long run - not recovered properly etc . Also me and lunchtime running aren't friends

Glad to see you're back running, but reading this post ^^ and your two 10ks in 5 days reminded me of that old definition of madness.... "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

You won't reach your potential that way, but sure so long as you're enjoying your runs, that's ok too.

Best of luck.

Ha ha . Yea I know it's like Bart versus Hamster!!

I suspose my motivation for running is threefold and in this order ;

* I get to eat nice food and not be incredibly fat
    * I get headspace outside of work and family which happens to come with buzz giving endorphins
    * I get to be fit and healthy and feel good

The addiction to it is a side effect to be endured by long suffering husband !

The sub 50 just keeps me going - intervals are a great fat burn!

Anyways I ran 7k at lunch yesterday with the work running crew. Nice chatty jaunt (9:30 min miles )
    Heart rate average in aerobic zone .

Lots going on with regard to work and home renovations so just getting out when I can - not following schedule this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

I know these runs are too fast - but as I have said before despite numerous attempts to slow peeps down

Maybe these paces are your present paces and not too fast if your fitness has increased.

If you havn't any doms or fatigue and cant hold back then...

S.L.F. wrote: »
    Maybe these paces are your present paces and not too fast if your fitness has increased.

If you havn't any doms or fatigue and cant hold back then...

Be nice if that was the case!

Thursday

An easy 5 mile @ ten min mile
    Tried my best to keep heartrate around 143 bmp
    Not convinced of the accuracy of the watch

Saturday

Bit of a mess of a run. I'll call it a Fartlek and leave it at that . I really need to step up the game and the " running by feel" lark. Cannot run at hmp/ten mile pace to save my life . Gonna be a fun race .

There are 5 of us going down to the race with not much between us fitness wise so hoping someone sets a nice pace that I can mindlessly follow. I have no expectations for this half and don't have a target . Not hating it is would be nice and sub 2.

Monday

Supposed to do 20-22k . Last LSR before half . Of course there was torrential rain - because a person needs that to do a run long !

Only managed 19k - nobody mapped it so just ran and decided whatever the loop was would do . Very hilly so I will pretend that it was 20k. I was too wet and miserable to care .

19k@ 6:00

Felt ok during run. Was tagging behind on the uphill at the end but more from a lack of interest then anything else .(hadn't slept very well all weekend due to sick kiddies). Energy levels were ok and could have kept running .

Felt very unwell when I stopped. Stomach in bits. Happens randomly after long runs . Still not 100% this morning so might have kids bug! Damn it

Sports massage later.

Last week was a bit of a disaster wise . Between the jigs and the reels didn't get out until Friday .

The sports massage on Tuesday was pure torture. However roll on Friday and there was a new spring in my step.

Joined the lunch time squad in work for a quick scoot around the block (was going out Friday so only window)

7k @ 5:40

I felt very comfortable and fresh as a daisy. This was an extremely enjoyable trot. We were chatting away and not looking at pace - even pulled back several times to keep the group to together .

I couldn't get out again until Sunday .

Another soaking - I cannot do a run over ten k without getting drenched ! At least I'm used to it I suspose . Dry sunny conditions would probably floor me .

Again lsr wasn't slow or particularly long but I need a nice steady trot after my low mileage .

Again a chatty run with a fast finish .

15k@ 5:40
    Last k at 4:53

It felt good to have the kick at the end and from a confidence prospective will help for this half next weekend .

Hardly a taper I heat you say . Not really but remember it was on fresh legs so not completely nuts .

I'm not particularly serious about the half so not really paying much attention to half specific training . No game plan only hoping to stay with gang and not walk . Practising the mental game which is seriously lacking .

I only plan on running twice this week. Hopefully a steady 10/11k Tuesday and a slow 5 mile Thursday . Then two days rest before race.

Not happy with this tapering lark 2 weeks out from holidays as should really be running more rather than less . On that note I think I'll skip dunshauglin and wait until fingal to go all in . Two weeks running in hot weather should speed things up a bit - especially with no pressure to do long runs this year !

Last week I was supposed to be taking it easy .

So a planned steady 11k Tuesday turned into a difficult run at a slow pace . (5:50) . Not a good development .

Noticed over the next couple of days resting heart rate was creeping up by a tiny amount everyday . So as I was due a thryoid check anyway went on got bloods done . No results yet but iron levels good so one less excuse .

On Thursday I did a slow 5 mile - tried to keep heart rate down to 143 . Did some strides at the end . Average heart rate 144 so not bad. Pace 6:15

Kildare Thorough Bred Half Marathon

Race Report

On the hottest day of the year 5 brave if not foolhardy souls thought it was an excellent opportunity to do a half marathon . Sure why not .

We arrived in plenty of time to pick up our numbers , pee at least 15 times and do whatever else needs to be done before these things. Thankfully there were no porto loos or accompanying see through spiders ( long story).

The early morning mist was lifting and the sun began to taunt us with its burning rays !

The start line was put up very sharpish and we were off, jostling through traffic and weaving around footpaths roads and buggys !

Then before us rose a hill . A hill ! Sure they said it was flat . A hill I tell you with traffic on it ! Anyways after the shock of the hill we settled into a nice pace , well for some , one of us of a more delicate constitution did moan a bit , dropped an inhaler and at 5k had an excuse to drop back and run at own pace.

There were many hills after that. Mountains they were ( in that heat anyway) . There was a lot of internal looping in my head as we ran around cattle grids or over them . I felt hot mostly , then fit and strong , then dizzy, then hot , the just ok and finally hot and tired .

Thankfully there was plenty of water which I threw over my head at least 3 times. It did help for a bit . At ten k it became a matter of putting one front in front of the other and getting to the end . I would like to say it was pleasant running through the Kildare countryside but nope! The course was a little lonely and I had " one two Freddy is coming for you " on repeat in my head .

The last 3/4 k included a jaunt through the national stud . Which was another steady incline lined by jostling fillies which were a lot more sprightly than me at that stage . A lot of folk were walking - unusual to see this many men down with a such short time to go ( at my pace anyway) . I kept moving although my legs were beginning ache . Then in the distance an inflatable red thing appeared with finished written on it . I was nearly home! It began to move further and further into the distance ! A mirage no no no!

Then I heard my name been called - my more speedier team mates egging me on to a sprint finish . Ah go way - lads. I gave it a little push and kind of went a bit fast for 100m - stopping 3 times at each timing mat ? No idea which one was the actual mat ! Ah well.

Can't say I was happy with the result or disappointed either . Just incredibly relieved to be finished . Now I can enjoy the sunshine like the rest of the country ! Feet up in back garden with a well earned beer!

So crept in just under the two hour mark .

So what went wrong : I'm still hoping doc says my thyroid meds need adjusting! I forgot my fulfill bar so only had a bowl of porridge at 730 - race started at 1030 maybe that wasn't enough! Grasping at straws here . I drank about 600 mls during the race - felt like enough maybe not . I hit a mini wall or pre cramping with 2k to go and was just about maintaining a shuffle . Oh yeah and it was bloody hot

Turns out iron stores are very low - heamaglobin was normal ( that's what receptionist advised in Friday )so not anemic yet . So annoying because I'm taking iron supplements but had moved to the new supplement activeiron as recommended by the gp!!! Lucky I am so self obsessed that I notice mini changes - the symptoms can be fatigue and sluggishness without even being anemic . Very common for runners so make sure you get iron stores checked as well . It's not something that you would notice unless running and trying to improve .

Anyways just thought I'd post to flag to others . Thyroid still ok . So double iron for a coulple of weeks - back to the heavy duty tablets! The fun !

• Advertisement

I'm just trying to keep myself ticking over until holidays now - I've pulled out of the dunshauglin 10k , to much hassle the day before my holidays . Legs are not fresh and heart rate still up which I guess is down to the iron levels . So I would just annoy myself . So the sub 50 can wait till July/August . Two weeks of hot weather training ahead - which will be unstructured and fun. Fitting in runs when I can and going with my legs . I don't see me doing more than 10k distance wise .

Anyways I have signed up for the local 5k Friday but plan on it being a fun run! That's if my other fun run buddies can contain their competiveness. I like the idea of not racing a race and just running it . I want to enjoy running and need to relax and not stress about time or the pace .

I ran the route last night and it's seems like a nice little course with a fast finish (9k @6:00)

I also went for a scoot at lunch with a guy I hadn't ran with before , it turned into a race some how ! It was kind of fun but it was a bit warm!

I'm just trying to keep myself ticking over until holidays now - I've pulled out of the dunshauglin 10k , to much hassle the day before my holidays . Legs are not fresh and heart rate still up which I guess is down to the iron levels . So I would just annoy myself . So the sub 50 can wait till July/August . Two weeks of hot weather training ahead - which will be unstructured and fun. Fitting in runs when I can and going with my legs . I don't see me doing more than 10k distance wise .

Anyways I have signed up for the local 5k Friday but plan on it being a fun run! That's if my other fun run buddies can contain their competiveness. I like the idea of not racing a race and just running it . I want to enjoy running and need to relax and not stress about time or the pace .

I ran the route last night and it's seems like a nice little course with a fast finish (9k @6:00)

I also went for a scoot at lunch with a guy I hadn't ran with before , it turned into a race some how ! It was kind of fun but it was a bit warm!

I was reading somewhere that taking a full break from running while on holidays recharges the body and makes you come back stronger. I dont know about a full two weeks but you could defo afford one! Enjoy yourself either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Turns out iron stores are very low - heamaglobin was normal ( that's what receptionist advised in Friday )so not anemic yet . So annoying because I'm taking iron supplements but had moved to the new supplement activeiron as recommended by the gp!!! Lucky I am so self obsessed that I notice mini changes - the symptoms can be fatigue and sluggishness without even being anemic . Very common for runners so make sure you get iron stores checked as well . It's not something that you would notice unless running and trying to improve .

Anyways just thought I'd post to flag to others . Thyroid still ok . So double iron for a coulple of weeks - back to the heavy duty tablets! The fun !

Found myself in the exact same boat a couple of months back. Ferritin levels < 10 (should be in the range 10-200 but GP said she'd expect at least 50, mine were 7 :eek:) I've been take Ferrograd C for the past 2 months and I've seriously my intake of red meat as it contains Heme Iron, the most easily absorbed source of iron, and i seem to be back on track if my more recent 5k times are anything to go by :)

Enjoy the hols. And good luck with the 10k training. I'll be following as next year's goals will definitely include sub 50 10k!

Back home now sporting a nice tan and a well fed physique .

I never managed to do the 5k race before I went - life got in the way . I squeezed in 5k on sat - it turned into a progressive sprint (5:51,5:35,5:02,4:46,4:36) @25:14

It was a kind of therapy .

Anyways only managed 7 runs in 14 days in Spain . No structure or plan just ran when I felt like it and let the legs find a pace . In typical fashion didn't get out of bed early enough to avoid the heat of the day so ran in the Evenings in some saucy temperatures.

The gluttony of relaxation stiffened limbs and highlighted any old niggles !

First week of hilly terrain

9k@6:10

7.4k with 4.4k@5:18 and 3k at 5:50(done kind of tempo attempt)

5k@5:27 - progressive

20 mins @5:56

Second week on flatter terrain

40 mins@ 5:56
    9k @ 5:35 - progressive
    4 mile @ 5:39 - progressive
    No running at all at ten pace . 5:11 fastest k.

All in all the runs were enjoyable if not a little sweaty !

Now need a detox and some structure , fingal 10k coming up and I need a plan of some description ,signing up for duleek 10k as well 2 weeks after , and signed up for rock n roll half as well in the middle on a whim on St Patrick's day because it was 12 bucks! Needless to say that's 12 bucks down the drain !

Found myself in the exact same boat a couple of months back. Ferritin levels < 10 (should be in the range 10-200 but GP said she'd expect at least 50, mine were 7 :eek:) I've been take Ferrograd C for the past 2 months and I've seriously my intake of red meat as it contains Heme Iron, the most easily absorbed source of iron, and i seem to be back on track if my more recent 5k times are anything to go by :)

Enjoy the hols. And good luck with the 10k training. I'll be following as next year's goals will definitely include sub 50 10k![/quote]

I take Ferrigrad C as well , or am again anyway ! I was taking it during marathon training last year and still managed to become anemic . As I was taking the iron I didn't relate the fatigue to iron - you would think I would know the signs by now! Has a funny effect on my insides - the opposite too most people . Feeling ok now .

Good look in your training . Keep an eye on that iron and get regular tests when training !

I take Ferrigrad C as well , or am again anyway ! I was taking it during marathon training last year and still managed to become anemic . As I was taking the iron I didn't relate the fatigue to iron - you would think I would know the signs by now! Has a funny effect on my insides - the opposite too most people . Feeling ok now .

Good look in your training . Keep an eye on that iron and get regular tests when training !

Good to know. I will def keep an eye. Thanks.

• Advertisement

First training session post holiday excesses

Warm up 2k @ 6:00

1x1200 at V02 max with same time recovery
    1x1000 """"
    2x800"""""

Vo2 max based on results from 2 mile trial which I haven't done - so I just use the paces from my training buddies that I would normally be on a par with

So:
    Vo2 max time for 1200: 5:35 . Actual time : 5:34
    Vo2 max for 1k: 4:39. Actual time : 4:30
    Vo2 max for 800: 3:43 Actual times: 3:44,3:40

Then a cool down for 1 mile @ 610

The first two were not too bad , and I felt strong , 2nd two I was just willing it to be over. I need to work on my mental game ,still .

Fingal next week and no idea how I'll be positioned for it .

Feeling very sorry for self this morning . Supposed to be doing fingal on Sunday chasing the elusive sub 50 but now I find myself quite breathless.

Thursday night a progressive run more or less stayed steady but I found it very difficult breathing wise . Everyone was like yeah us too ! I'm like lads ye were chatting going up a hill that's hardly the definition of difficult . Resting heart rate on the increase from last week.

I felt ok over the weekend and decided to do a slow five miler on sat . I tried to slow down to stay in the green zone (under 143 bmp) but despite going on 6:30 this didn't happen .

Tried again yesterday and did ten k with the ladies . Pace was faster at 6:05 but breathing was tough. Again everyone was like us too it's the weather!

Now is it the weather and I'm suffering more because I'm asmathic or is it something else. Doesn't feel like a chest infection as not caught up or coughing .

I cannot be iron deficient again , I just can't . So that leaves the thyroid .

This running lark can be so frustrating .

This is not a sandbagging post !!! Really

Hmmm there have been some warm/muggy days where the going feels a bit tougher. But still if you're finding it more difficult than you usually do relative to a bunch of runners you are used to running with then i would question if it is the conditions? I don't have experience of asthma. But i do have experience of low iron, well low ferritin and this was one of the things that in hindsight i should have flagged but i didn't, i thought i was just getting slower and/or everyone around me was getting faster.

Keep an eye and get checked if things don't improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Feeling very sorry for self this morning . Supposed to be doing fingal on Sunday chasing the elusive sub 50 but now I find myself quite breathless.

Thursday night a progressive run more or less stayed steady but I found it very difficult breathing wise . Everyone was like yeah us too ! I'm like lads ye were chatting going up a hill that's hardly the definition of difficult . Resting heart rate on the increase from last week.

I felt ok over the weekend and decided to do a slow five miler on sat . I tried to slow down to stay in the green zone (under 143 bmp) but despite going on 6:30 this didn't happen .

Tried again yesterday and did ten k with the ladies . Pace was faster at 6:05 but breathing was tough. Again everyone was like us too it's the weather!

Now is it the weather and I'm suffering more because I'm asmathic or is it something else. Doesn't feel like a chest infection as not caught up or coughing .

I cannot be iron deficient again , I just can't . So that leaves the thyroid .

This running lark can be so frustrating .

This is not a sandbagging post !!! Really

Saturday was a disaster for a lot of people (myself included). Yesterday was a tough day for it too, I'm only glad I got out in the evening and my route was a bit shady. It's been really hot the last few days, but it's the humidity that's the killer for me. I would have breathing issues from time to time (allergy related) and I find the really humid days really difficult and it really effects the pace I can run at. So I would be inclined to blame the weather. I know there's science behind this - the body has to work harder to keep cool when it's humid, humid air is denser, and also the oxygen content of the air may be slightly lower - but I wouldn't know enough about to even sound like I knew what I was on about! But I do think that if non asthmatics are having difficulty in this weather, the it's probably reasonable to assume that asthmatics will have a bit more difficulty. Don't let it get you down, just run at the appropriate effort rather than by pace.

The doctor claims I'm perfectly healthy and the blood tests back it up . Feel a lot better now , so who knows what caused the blip .

Took the advice from hot buttered scones and ran to effort for the fingal tenk . Came in at just under 52 mins but given the fact I felt crap for the week before and have only run over 9k once in six weeks I'll take it . Felt good until about 7k then it all fell to pieces - obvious lack of stamina and no pacing . The legs were all over the place , they didn't know what to be doing . I was relaxed going into it as convinced I would be lucky to do it in an hour . Didn't even warm up . Breathing took a while to settle , but once I settled into the run I felt good for a while . Still like the course despite the lack of a pb.

Next up is the duleek 10k next weekend . Thought I might get some "Quality" training in this week and a batch of 10ks. Alas it was not to be . I managed one steady 10k@9:00 min mile and one 5k @6:00.

Away for weekend now until Sunday so packed the runners . Hopefully will get a couple of runs in .

Watch this space . I need to get some focus back.
    Soon

• Advertisement

The doctor claims I'm perfectly healthy and the blood tests back it up . Feel a lot better now , so who knows what caused the blip .

Took the advice from hot buttered scones and ran to effort for the fingal tenk . Came in at just under 52 mins but given the fact I felt crap for the week before and have only run over 9k once in six weeks I'll take it . Felt good until about 7k then it all fell to pieces - obvious lack of stamina and no pacing . The legs were all over the place , they didn't know what to be doing . I was relaxed going into it as convinced I would be lucky to do it in an hour . Didn't even warm up . Breathing took a while to settle , but once I settled into the run I felt good for a while . Still like the course despite the lack of a pb.

Next up is the duleek 10k next weekend . Thought I might get some "Quality" training in this week and a batch of 10ks. Alas it was not to be . I managed one steady 10k@9:00 min mile and one 5k @6:00.

Away for weekend now until Sunday so packed the runners . Hopefully will get a couple of runs in .

Watch this space . I need to get some focus back.
    Soon

have you fully completed a 10k specific plan from start to finish in recent times, maybe worth having a look at one again, stick to plan for one cycle, and track back from target race to plan start date and I think you may have much better out come. Fully commit to it and I rekon your goal is there within 10 weeks.

Good to hear no health problems, best luck in Duleek,

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    have you fully completed a 10k specific plan from start to finish in recent times, maybe worth having a look at one again, stick to plan for one cycle, and track back from target race to plan start date and I think you may have much better out come. Fully commit to it and I rekon your goal is there within 10 weeks.

Good to hear no health problems, best luck in Duleek,

Yes I have to agree, you're very close to the sub 50 but you need more commitment to just tip you over the line.

I have a 10 km plan specifically for sub 50 that Im not using if you want it let me know.

Kennyg/S.L.F thanks for your feedback .

It's ironic that the diary is titled chasing the 10k blah blah blah when I never infact have followed a tenk specific schedule . I try to follow the club schedule but have fallen of track a bit since the begginning of summer .

In general I tend to get side tracked by other people's goals and end up doing half marathons etc because I am a sheep !

SLF if you could send me the schedule you have please I would be very grateful .

Also as 10ks seem to be short on the ground in September/October ideas for a target race would be great .

Thanks again
    Blue square

4th Nov there is the MO Run 10k, not to sure about Sept, Oct. but it may give bit of time to Finnish out next couple of races, then get started. Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

aquinn wrote: »

Might be bit early to get full 10k training block in before target race. Think middle to end of October would be target.

I'll be following you closely bluesquare :-) I'm going to target a sub 50 10k when DM is over, if I'm still alive & able to run!!! DM is my 1st time following a plan properly and in the 5th wk I can already see the benefit. I'd have been like you and just signed up to any race that friends were going to or was local or had a nice t-shirt going etc...

Well done on Fingal 10km. Sub 52 was a good outcome. Glad you got a clean bill of health too!!

Kennyg/S.L.F thanks for your feedback .

It's ironic that the diary is titled chasing the 10k blah blah blah when I never infact have followed a tenk specific schedule . I try to follow the club schedule but have fallen of track a bit since the begginning of summer .

In general I tend to get side tracked by other people's goals and end up doing half marathons etc because I am a sheep !

SLF if you could send me the schedule you have please I would be very grateful .

Also as 10ks seem to be short on the ground in September/October ideas for a target race would be great .

Thanks again
    Blue square

Hi Blue,

I sent you on an 8 week schedule there and again I agree with Kenny I wouldnt enter until around start of October or even mid October but you're nearly there now.

Good luck.

Thanks SLF for sending the plan on . Unsure exactly what my plans are just yet - I'll get Sunday over and then worry about it I suspose .

I was away down the country from Thursday morning on a reunion type jaunt so not the most running friendly environment .

I managed 5k @ 5:36 on Friday before the heavies arrived and cursed myself for not doing more as there was a lot of time wasted on procrastination. I ran on the beach - hard on the legs and windy in one direction but pleasant despite the slight red wine hangover .

Sunday morning dusted off the runners and did another 5k @ 5:55. I was really feeling the effects of the weekend at this stage and my legs were like jelly lumps . Too many dogs up random country lanes woofing away - one scary looking brute but thankfully chained unlike the nippy little shiatsu. Thankfully I'm super fast and escaped getting bitten !!

So no decent mileage but kept the legs ticking over and earned some street cred for being a tough old bird running with a hangover .

Anyways today is most definitely a rest day . I will do some kind of a session tomorrow then easy running until Thursday then nada until Sunday .

• Advertisement
Advertisement