Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excel 2013 formula problems

• 21-03-2015 5:58pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anybody else noticed a problem with Excel calucations in Excel 2013? When I have decimals in a cell, and make a simple calculation then the answer appears with a dozen or so extra numbers after the decimal. For example:

A1 100.3
    A2 100
    A3 =A1-A2

Answer on A3 appears to be 0.3. That's fine, but if you increase the number of decimal places showing, or Paste Values, you see that the answer is actually 0.299999999999997.

It might be only a tiny fraction out, but this can screw up if things later on, for example I'm using conditional formatting to highlight when two answers that should be the same are incorrect, and this slight fractional difference is causing the conditional formatting to show them as different answers.

Is this a bug? Is there any fix? Do I have to resort to using the Rounding function - that would be a pain in the ar$e if I had to do that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭homer911

Its to do with the way numbers have to be stored in binary - its not caused by Microsoft

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/214118

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

All my years using Excel and I never noticed it before. So, I guess rounding function is the only workaround?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you're trying to check if one cell equals another, try instead checking if the difference if less than some tiny number.

Advertisement