Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol Strimmer/Hedge Cutter

Options
  • 21-03-2015 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

So I am looking to buy a hedge trimmer and strimmer...

I have a fairly large garden so I need a strimmer for light enough work around the boundaries I have Leylandii hedges most of the way around the garden which are 6-8ft tall and some Copper Beech around the front.

I was looking today in lawnmower shops and I seen two types I am fairly keen on... Warrior 2 and McCullough. Both of these strimmers can be bought with a hedge trimmer and chainsaw attachments. You just take of the strimmer half way down the shaft and replace with either attachment.

Has anyone any experience of using either of these makes? Are they any good? Also is it better to buy a hedge trimmer and strimmer seperate or is this type as good?

Below is the Warrior one I am looking at...

http://www.mwhire.com/equipment/3-in-1-garden-tool/

Comments

There is a few things I would consider. How long is the warranty and is it easy to get spare parts first off.

Next is it powerful enough. It should be fine for light strimming and if you are trimming your hedges regularly. If you want to prune back any beech harder in the autumn/winter I don't think it has enough power. I would examine the hedge cutter head carefully. They can be very flimsy.

Does the hedge cutter head rotate?? handy for trimming the top of the tall hedges.

Personally if you want a machine for many years without trouble I would consider spending more money on something from stihl or Husqvarna. More economical in the long run if the budget allows.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

Thanks for the reply.
    The warranty is 12 months and the place I'm looking services garden machinery so I'm guessing they can get parts but I'm not sure so I must ask.
    Ya the strimming is light enough so I reckon that would be fine but the leylandii hedge has some fairly thick branches on it so I wonder would the hedge trimmer be powerful enough? The blade is smaller than on regular hedge trimmers. Could I use the chain saw attachment to cut the thick branches?
    I would really only be trimming back the hedges twice a year I'd say so not too heavy of a work load and unfortunately my budget is €500 all in and both options above come in at €470/€480. Ideally I would get stihl /hanaka but looking at a nice bit more cash...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

26cc is small, it wont be that powerful with the chainsaw attachement. Its looks like the ebay chinese gear rebadged.
    Second hand pro stihl would be a better bet by far imo.

Flood wrote: »
    26cc is small, it wont be that powerful with the chainsaw attachement. Its looks like the ebay chinese gear rebadged.
    Second hand pro stihl would be a better bet by far imo.

I see. Thanks.
    So Stihl is obviously the best make but I didn't see any of them today apart from chainsaws. I did see husqvarna and Tanaka. Are they in the same league?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

Stihl is just my personal choice, tanaka and husqvarna are good too. I don't think that product is worth €350 plus vat.
    I have never heard of the name, it looks identical to a few chinese cheap strimmers i have seen so i would go buy the €130 one of ebay than buy that one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

That is a chinese thingy. They are a bargain at about 130 to 150 euro but not at your price and they are also much heavier than best japanese stuff which you really notice when you are trying to use the pruning attachment.

Ok so i have located a Maruyama Strimmer but not seen it yet. It's 24cc and €290. Ill take a spin down at the weekend for a look. They dont have a website but looking online I think its similiar to below.

http://maruyama-us.com/products/trimmers/bc2321/

My Dad has had a Maruyama for a few years now and thinks its a great machine.
    Has anyone any views on them?
    I would only be using it every few weeks strimming grass and a few weeds around my boundaries/hedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

I bought a Titan from Screwfix with a deal for £60 and I find it fantastic... I see there is someone selling one on Ebay for £99 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Titan-TTL488GDO-25cc-Bent-Shaft-Petrol-2-in-1-Hedge-Grass-Trimmer-Cutter-/171727856153 but i do not see it for sale on the screwfix website anymore...

JR6 wrote: »
    Ok so i have located a Maruyama Strimmer but not seen it yet. It's 24cc and €290. Ill take a spin down at the weekend for a look. They dont have a website but looking online I think its similiar to below.

http://maruyama-us.com/products/trimmers/bc2321/

My Dad has had a Maruyama for a few years now and thinks its a great machine.
    Has anyone any views on them?
    I would only be using it every few weeks strimming grass and a few weeds around my boundaries/hedges.

Well if you get a 5 year warranty it should be fine. Ask what the maintenance programme is to get the warranty. is it get it serviced once a year at the dealer and how much will it cost
    http://maruyama-us.com/warranty/

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

i bought one of those 5 in 1 multitool and so far it has surprised me. Its 52cc and has all the attachments, strimmer and blade, hedge cutter and a chainsaw head all with a 1 metre extension pole. I have really tested it there recently trimming beech and laurel hedging and it cut right through it. E140 from England with 2 yr warranty, cant go wrong with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Czhornet wrote: »
    i bought one of those 5 in 1 multitool and so far it has surprised me. Its 52cc and has all the attachments, strimmer and blade, hedge cutter and a chainsaw head all with a 1 metre extension pole. I have really tested it there recently trimming beech and laurel hedging and it cut right through it. E140 from England with 2 yr warranty, cant go wrong with that.

Do you have a link to where you bought it from?

Thanks.

Repolho wrote: »
    Do you have a link to where you bought it from?

Thanks.

I got it from TimberPro

timberpro-uk.com timberpro-5-in-1-petrol-multi-garden-tool

great yoke very versatile, I also have a chainsaw from them, its not a sthil but I can't fault it at all, and I have dogged it cutting heavy beech trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

JR6 wrote: »
    So I am looking to buy a hedge trimmer and strimmer...

I have a fairly large garden so I need a strimmer for light enough work around the boundaries I have Leylandii hedges most of the way around the garden which are 6-8ft tall and some Copper Beech around the front.

I was looking today in lawnmower shops and I seen two types I am fairly keen on... Warrior 2 and McCullough. Both of these strimmers can be bought with a hedge trimmer and chainsaw attachments. You just take of the strimmer half way down the shaft and replace with either attachment.

Has anyone any experience of using either of these makes? Are they any good? Also is it better to buy a hedge trimmer and strimmer seperate or is this type as good?

Below is the Warrior one I am looking at...

http://www.mwhire.com/equipment/3-in-1-garden-tool/

Leylandii? You may be better off buying the chainsaw attachment and getting rid of those...you won't control them easily with a strimmer or hedge trimmer....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

Hedgetrimmers in the 300 to 500 euro price range should have no problem with leylandi.
    Double-sided, anti-vibe, adjustable handle and long reach is preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

This looks like it would suit my needs, how much did they charge for shipping?

I got it from TimberPro

great yoke very versatile, I also have a chainsaw from them, its not a sthil but I can't fault it at all, and I have dogged it cutting heavy beech trees.

nicol wrote: »
    This looks like it would suit my needs, how much did they charge for shipping?

either €10 or £10 not sure which, but I had it 2 days from the UK. I have used it continually now on the farm and in the garden. The Chainsaw is one of the main reasons I got it, trimming overhead branches that used to tear the cab and mirrors off the tractor every time I went near them. get the one with the 1 metre extension pole (5 in 1), better to have it even if you only use it few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

I got it from TimberPro

Have you used to trim top of hedges - I'm thinking 9ft. high leylandi. Currently using a Tanaka hedge trimmer with ladder platform. Thanks.

coxy123 wrote: »
    Have you used to trim top of hedges - I'm thinking 9ft. high leylandi. Currently using a Tanaka hedge trimmer with ladder platform. Thanks.

Ya 9ft is no problem, I used it on laurel hedging with some strong timber in it and it cut through in no bother. You can angle the head of the cutter to cut horizontal and then straight to do the sides. its very versatile.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭cpg093

Can anyone recommend a grass trimmer for a medium sized lawn. I don't need it for any heavy work. I have looked at a few in different stores and the electric ones seem quite flimsy although I have never tried them out. Thanks

cpg093 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a grass trimmer for a medium sized lawn. I don't need it for any heavy work. I have looked at a few in different stores and the electric ones seem quite flimsy although I have never tried them out. Thanks

If you can get a petrol one, at least you are not bothered with electrical leads, and using them if the grass is wet. If you are getting a petrol one, don't get one with the bent shaft. The reason is, there is a flexible drive rod in this and it has the turn around on its self to make the circular motion at the bend of the shaft leading to increased wear on the flexi shaft. This in turn breaks and if it does, the strimmer is wasted. So get a straight shaft, solid drive rod strimmer. There are high end ones, Huskys and Sthils but I wouldnt pay the money for them. plenty new ones advertised on Donedeal, around the 30cc is plenty for strimming grass.

• Advertisement
Advertisement