Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get rid of a Buddleia growing through my hedge

• 21-03-2015 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

I have a pyracantha hedge. In the middle of it there is a Buddleia growing. Ive tried cutting it out but it grows back really quickly and its really hard to get at through the thorns.

Has anyone any ideas on getting rid of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

And here I am looking to buy one and can't find it anywhere :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

And here I am looking to buy one and can't find it anywhere :D

Where you're going wrong is wanting one! Start praying that one doesn't show up and there'll be one in your chimney pot within a week :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

They are only starting to grow now so cut back to ground level and carefully brush the fresh wounds with tree stump killer.
    I have a couple in garden they grow about 10 foot per season and I chop them back to a stump in the autumn
    Lovely shrub and not lethal to touch like the pyracantha :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The feral ones that take up residence in chimney pots are not nearly as nice as the varieties available from a garden centre. Either way they are enthusiastic and almost unkillable. I would suggest you let it grow till it is well above the pyracantha then paint the leaves with a systemic weedkiller that you can get in the form of a gell so it can be carefully applied without splashing it onto the pyracantha. You will probably have to do it twice. Leave it as long as you can so that the weedkiller gets back to the roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭tmq

I've a pyracantha that I can't get to grow at all... though i've only had it since October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

Leave it there, the Butterflies love them.

Advertisement