Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E-evo

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

peposhi wrote: »
    Well, I have to say that for me the scariest part about Tesla is not that they break down or need a service, it’s the lack of service centres and cost of repairs. For a car that costs a third of an average house, repairs could turn out to be a monthly wage or 6 months wages :)

Yeah out of warranty not a chance in hell I would have one

Leaf or anyting built by big auto I would

thierry14 wrote: »

Leaf or anyting built by big auto I would

Yeah, that was my greatest fear.......

We must persuade Mad_ Lad to lend you his Beemer for day ;)

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:D

I knew you are going to LOOVE the idea hahahaha

thierry14 wrote: »

Indeed, a chap was telling me during the week I should consider buying a 2 / 3 year old Tesla model S for €70k with the recent 0% BIK thing.

As I said to him, what do you do if the thing gives trouble (not to mention the matter of the €70k :pac: )

• Advertisement

Did the return trip with an ease. Left Claremorris with 100% and arrived in Athlone with 35%. 8’C, heavy rain. This time the charger was free so we went for a treat in KFC. Kept looking out to see if someone shows up and needs to charge. When we nearly finished our feast the Leaf that I met on Friday arrived, this time I stopped and let him charge. With 96% in the tank I zipped it on the motorway flying past ICEs as I did not care anymore about what would be left at the end of the journey.

All together we had a great time.

Oh, forgot to mention - when searching for a charger in Claremorris the car did not recognise the one beside the wimming pool, only the one at the hotel. I started searching on Zap Map on Saturday night and realised the car’s map is not sufficient.

What’s the best way to update the car charger map and navigation in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

I highly recommend you to watch on YouTube Tony Seba’s presentation on “Clean Disruption” https://youtu.be/4hoB7HN4B0k

Good video

Enjoyable watch, interesting stuff in it

He's way out on level 5 self driving and non car ownership though

2021 projected

We could be a few years away or 50 with regard level 5, I think the latter, its tech for our children/grand children

He seems to be banking on it, but I wouldn't be so confident

Hell of alot of work to do to get from level 5 from where we are now

It is a cool idea

I use my car for about 90 mins a day max, for the other 93% of the day it does nothing

I wouldn't need a car in the self driving world of the future

An interesting thing I noticed this morning. Had my preheating turned on at around 6.10am but as it happened I did not get to the car up until 7.10am. The preheating was still on and the car was perfectly warm (which of course I loved). I had my car still plugged in since last night and the battery charge was 100% when I left...

Normally I’d have the preheating going off by itself after 15 minutes (I think it was) and the car at 97% even though it was plugged in...

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

An interesting thing I noticed this morning. Had my preheating turned on at around 6.10am but as it happened I did not get to the car up until 7.10am. The preheating was still on and the car was perfectly warm (which of course I loved). I had my car still plugged in since last night and the battery charge was 100% when I left...

Normally I’d have the preheating going off by itself after 15 minutes (I think it was) and the car at 97% even though it was plugged in...

Am I missing something?

There are two types of pre-heating in the leaf...
    1) Direct activation via the app which turns it on immediately and only stays on for 15mins.
    2) Pre-heat timer where you set your departure time and it turns itself off at that time.

Neither of those two sound like what you describe. Which method did you use and if it was the timer method what departure time is setup in the car?

If it was method one, it may be a case that the car did not get the signal to start until later... i.e. delay in SMS or signalling from Nissan servers.

KCross wrote: »
    There are two types of pre-heating in the leaf...
    1) Direct activation via the app which turns it on immediately and only stays on for 15mins.
    2) Pre-heat timer where you set your departure time and it turns itself off at that time.

Neither of those two sound like what you describe. Which method did you use and if it was the timer method what departure time is setup in the car?

If it was method one, it may be a case that the car did not get the signal to start until later... i.e. delay in SMS or signalling from Nissan servers.

Direct activation (or set a timer to start) is what I use every time.

• Advertisement

Direct activation (or set a timer to start) is what I use every time.

Interesting, must try direct activation while its plugged in and see what it does.

Its supposed to just run for 15mins regardless of whether its plugged in or not when you start it via the app.

Interesting, must try direct activation while its plugged in and see what it does.

Its supposed to just run for 15mins regardless of whether its plugged in or not when you start it via the app.

That was my understanding and experience so far. What could have been and you rightly pointed - late exchange of commands between the app/server/car... will monitor it and see if that happens again

Pumped my tires this eve and left the car to rest for some time in the driveway. Drove off later on and the tire pressure gauge came on. Went to the local petrol station to get it pumped up and as I removed the valve cap the valve split in half and the air just went...
    I could not leave the car where it was and moved it about 5-6 metres further. I do not know much about tire air pressure sensors so I got worried that by moving a completely flat tire I have damaged the sensor now...
    I got the car jacked up and removed the wheel, will bring it to the town tire centre and see what they’ll say

When there is a will, there is a way!
    An 87 years old man built from scraps his own electric shopping cart powered by two 12v batteries...

https://m.vbox7.com/play:b5c1c6d5dc

Hilarious :)

So...

The issue with the tyre.
    Jacked up the car and removed the wheel and went next morning to the local fitters.
    IT turned out that the valve had to be replaced with an OEM part unless I wanted to have no sensor for tyre pressure.
    I rang two Nissan dealers. The one in Portlaoise which is nearer quoted the part at €70+ and delivery (ready for collection actually) next day late afternoon. The one in Naas - we should have the part in the next 2 hours and costs €64. Guess where I got it. The Portlaoise Nissan dealer seems to be well overpriced since they quoted me €179 for a Leaf 30k service...
    Got the part, fitted it and no problems since...

Now the focus has moved on to getting a second Leaf to replace the Yaris.

I’ve noticed that the door mirrors are not defrosting when preheating nor when I use the steering wheel heater.
    Are they not meant to be part of the SVE cold pack?!?
    In an SV with a cold pack I drove back in Jan last year the mirrors were defrosting alright

I’ve noticed that the door mirrors are not defrosting when preheating nor when I use the steering wheel heater.
    Are they not meant to be part of the SVE cold pack?!?
    In an SV with a cold pack I drove back in Jan last year the mirrors were defrosting alright

I think they come on with the rear window defrost button.

So, pre-heating or steering wheel heater wouldn't turn that on.

Oh, I never thought about it!

Will check and post

Yep, you had right!

Silly me, never noticed it :)

Went to Portarlington train station yesterday - a beautiful orange 141 i3 charging. Never seen other EV charging in town afairk.

Went to Portlaoise today... plenty of Leafs everywhere on the road, one taxi plugged at the AIB car park and another one at the ESB car park... the EV numbers certainly picking up!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Great to see Ford, up their investment in EV.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jan/15/ford-to-invest-11bn-and-have-40-hybrid-and-fully-electric-vehicles-by-2022

16 all electric Ford models by 2022. The whole transition is gathering pace.

• Advertisement

MBH came back from a g trip last night in the heaviest snow. The return trip that normally takes 40min took nearly 90mins with her driving with 30km/h in many parts as she was not able to see the road in the dark and the heavy snowing made it worse...
    Came back on her LAST watts!!! See pic.
    I never done it that close. I was checking the app every 5 min only to see how the range and battery % was disappearing quick. I think I got more stressed than her hahaha

Just love the 7kw home charger... the cars nearly full after 4 hours charge.

Ye can't beat having a Rex ! :D

Ye can't beat having a Rex ! :D

I knew you’d come and bite me on that :)

Well, I want one, that’s for sure. Whether I can convince my better half that instead of €12k SVE we should go for €25k REX is yet to be seen lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

MBH came back from a g trip last night in the heaviest snow. The return trip that normally takes 40min took nearly 90mins with her driving with 30km/h in many parts as she was not able to see the road in the dark and the heavy snowing made it worse...
    Came back on her LAST watts!!! See pic.
    I never done it that close. I was checking the app every 5 min only to see how the range and battery % was disappearing quick. I think I got more stressed than her hahaha

How do you have access to Nissan Connect? I was only able to use carwings, which isn't as detailed.

I knew you’d come and bite me on that :)

Well, I want one, that’s for sure. Whether I can convince my better half that instead of €12k SVE we should go for €25k REX is yet to be seen lol

The size isn't for everyone but I can fit 2 small Children and buggy and small luggage so perfect for weekend trip and 100 % of my driving needs now.

It really is a smashing car to drive, a lot of fun.

Even if you don't get the Rex the 3 phase 11 Kw charger (33 Kwh i3 only) should prove highly useful from our AC points.

It will definitely put a smile on your face, Leaf II will have a nice power upgrade but I'm doubting it will be as much fun, RWD and such good handling makes a lot of difference but if you'd intend spending so much on an i3 then the 40 Kwh leaf is worth a lot of consideration.

I was not happy with only 40 Kwh, not the leaf I was hoping for then only 50 Kw charging, just didn't cut it for me. + the i3 is a different league also, it's a lot nicer and of course the leaf is not available yet nor won't be until April/May and not in the spec I'd want until after this.

The infrastructure has not improved in the 3 years of driving the Leaf and that being my main reason for choosing the Rex. For instance, there's no CCS anywhere near Carlow Town.

My L30 has gone for sale.

7-seater on the way.

Must sell quick enough.

Link to the ad is in the “For Sale” thread.

Any sensible offers will be considered.

Going, going… gone so the L30 is

Advertisement