Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E-evo

Options

Comments

Lads why don't we complain on the ESB Ecar FB page about the location of the Naas Fast charger and ask them to put one on the actual N7 or the new garage on the M9 when it opens ?

We need to moan and complain on how bad the location at Tesco Naas is.

I've done it before so I would appreciate it if someone posts first then I will add to it otherwise they'll just say " oh he're he goes again FFS, moaner " !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

You need a battery to store it though which adds to the cost but check out the Tesla power wall and the costs, I would be interested to know.

Storage adds to the cost and when you have an EV you need a lot of storage, unless you can be home in the day to charge. On a day like today though you wouldn't get a whole lot of energy.

You did mention solar PV didn't you ?

Mad Lad, the solar PV would be installed on the roof of the new site extension at work. I was told the biggest system allowed to install in Ireland is 11kw as opposed to UKs 50kw. The whole set up would cost roughly 20+K... It is difficult for me to go into details as this is definitely not my field :)... Well... Yet... You never know hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

peposhi wrote: »
    Mad Lad, the solar PV would be installed on the roof of the new site extension at work. I was told the biggest system allowed to install in Ireland is 11kw as opposed to UKs 50kw. The whole set up would cost roughly 20+K... It is difficult for me to go into details as this is definitely not my field :)... Well... Yet... You never know hahaha

11kW shouldn't cost €20k, someone is making a lot on that. 11kW of high-quality brand name panels are only €6-6.5k and a grid-tie inverter for that amount of panels is only about €3-4k. And it sure as hell doesn't cost €9-10k for roof clips, cable and a few hours labor.

11kW is the max export on a three-phase grid connected system in Ireland all right, but you're still not going to get paid or credited for the electricity you give the grid.

Lads why don't we complain on the ESB Ecar FB page about the location of the Naas Fast charger and ask them to put one on the actual N7 or the new garage on the M9 when it opens ?

We need to moan and complain on how bad the location at Tesco Naas is.

I've done it before so I would appreciate it if someone posts first then I will add to it otherwise they'll just say " oh he're he goes again FFS, moaner " !!! :D

Done, Mad Lad :D

cros13 wrote: »
    11kW shouldn't cost €20k, someone is making a lot on that. 11kW of high-quality brand name panels are only €6-6.5k and a grid-tie inverter for that amount of panels is only about €3-4k. And it sure as hell doesn't cost €9-10k for roof clips, cable and a few hours labor.

11kW is the max export on a three-phase grid connected system in Ireland all right, but you're still not going to get paid or credited for the electricity you give the grid.

Thanks for that, Cros13
    Will investigate further. Surely we would get more quotes from different companies before a decision is made.

• Advertisement

You can fudge the 11kW by a kw or two if you have a consistent base load at peak sunlight hours that would use the extra power.

Thanks for that, Cros13
    Will investigate further. Surely we would get more quotes from different companies before a decision is made.

One issue is because of the lack of a feed-in tariff here there's very little in the way of installs happening. So to keep food on the table a lot of the companies are quoting double or triple the price of an install in the UK.

The UK installers might have 30-40 jobs a day on the go and the Irish guys might see one a week, so they'll drag it out or charge more.

It's a pity really because unless you are doing DIY the extra cost can make it uneconomical to fit panels at all.

The general guide for PV costs this year is about €1k per kW excluding labor or any special works.

I would absolutely not install any wind or solar pv generation in Ireland unless I was guaranteed I would be paid for exporting my energy.

Without the feed-in-tariff it makes renewable in Ireland uneconomical !!!

So... 6k kms... It looks like the 20k cap would not be enough. Car gets used on a daily basis by myself and wifey and the ICE is getting more and more lonely. Nearly stopped using motorways :) I totally enjoy coasting on Eco-routes. Am I getting old or what hahahah... Mad lad told me I was driving like a granny with the 15.2kW/100km I do on average hahaha

Great drive today. Went to CityNorth Hotel near Ballbriggan. 240km round trip. Had colleagues with me so did not want to risk. Stopped at Applegreen M1 and Topaz Dublin Airport for a FC and came back safely. Love the torque and power response when you need it.

Thinking of adding wind deflectors. Kinda miss them in rainy days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

No intentions to sell to anybody - the site would use all the leccy produced :D

I do agree that Solar will work and you do not need to worry about getting paid from the grid, just put a system up that feeds what you use daily no more

AS far as I know you can get paid from the grid in Ireland(ill try find link) but you have to get your systems register off ESB as a micro generation , but I believe only offered 3 cent /Per Kw which is poor.

The feed-in-tariff has now been discontinued and the ESB were paying something like 9c/Kwh.

Don't think they were ever going to pay more than commercial rates for longer than they did this is where the Government needs to step in and provide grants and insist the ESB pay for the power. This won't happen with the current Government.

If you use little enough electricity the ESB will make you pay a fee, don't rem this cost or how little you have to use.

Has anyone found the fresh air going to the cabin not enough? I often find its not enough to just open the inlets but have to use the fan on full power to blow air inside the cabin and get me some fresh air...
    In my ICE I reparely used the fans or AC, just the fresh air option has been enough. Now I find it difficult to adjust and find the balance.

Yeah the Leaf automatic AC is crap. I turn it all the way down to 18 degrees to get any form of cool cabin.

When it's warm and humid enough I use the AC and manually and the blower, the AC doesn't use much leccy at all, not this crap summer anyway but it reduces the humidity to make it feel a lot more comfortable.

So I'd say the AC is perfect when you use it manually, the automatic heat works good in winter though. I set the air to come through the front vents too which makes all the difference, but a lot of the time I use the blower with no heat or AC.

I could have the cabin set to 20 degrees and it sets the heat on even though I find it could be about 25 degrees in the cabin. Definitely needs to be addressed in Leaf II.

Yeah the Leaf automatic AC is crap. I turn it all the way down to 18 degrees to get any form of cool cabin.

When it's warm and humid enough I use the AC and manually and the blower, the AC doesn't use much leccy at all, not this crap summer anyway but it reduces the humidity to make it feel a lot more comfortable.

So I'd say the AC is perfect when you use it manually, the automatic heat works good in winter though. I set the air to come through the front vents too which makes all the difference, but a lot of the time I use the blower with no heat or AC.

I could have the cabin set to 20 degrees and it sets the heat on even though I find it could be about 25 degrees in the cabin. Definitely needs to be addressed in Leaf II.

I find it strange to not be able to get a proper fresh air into the cabin. I will certainly put wind deflectors to have that flexibility to leave lightly open windows to get fresh air even in a rainy day...

I get fresh air no problem, just press mode until the arrows point from the front vents, press the fan + or - to adjust fan speed and make sure the AC and Heat Buttons are off or the AC on whichever you need.

I get fresh air no problem, just press mode until the arrows point from the front vents, press the fan + or - to adjust fan speed and make sure the AC and Heat Buttons are off or the AC on whichever you need.

Did that and this is where i have an issue. The air is way to humid and hot for a fresh air. Not sure why since there is no engine to generate heat... Could be me imaging things, I guess... Anyway...
    Passed the 7k mark. Home charger point still not operational... After 3rd time setting a date to finish it off with an Ecars electrician. I try to stay calm and be understanding as there would be other EV drivers that need the home cp much more than me. At the end of the day I have 2 SCP at a walking distance from my house + the courtesy of FCP and SCP at work... So what am I complaining then others would say lol

Did that and this is where i have an issue. The air is way to humid and hot for a fresh air. Not sure why since there is no engine to generate heat... Could be me imaging things, I guess... Anyway...
    Passed the 7k mark. Home charger point still not operational... After 3rd time setting a date to finish it off with an Ecars electrician. I try to stay calm and be understanding as there would be other EV drivers that need the home cp much more than me. At the end of the day I have 2 SCP at a walking distance from my house + the courtesy of FCP and SCP at work... So what am I complaining then others would say lol

If the air is still too hot and humid just turn on the AC and adjust with the fan + - and the temp + - or just use auto and turn down to 16-17 degrees.

The Leaf has no problem getting icy cold once you get to set it right.

What's the excuse for the contractor not installing the home EVSE ? it's still very convenient to have it at home but yeah having a fast charger and standard chp at work is a major benefit especially when it's free so use it all you can it will save a few bob and you leave your number on the car if anyone wants to use it correct ? so there shouldn't be a problem , most people will use the DC charger anyway instead, you shouldn't need to use that ever unless at the weekends heading off on a longer trip and you need a fast top up.

If the air is still too hot and humid just turn on the AC and adjust with the fan + - and the temp + - or just use auto and turn down to 16-17 degrees.

The Leaf has no problem getting icy cold once you get to set it right.

What's the excuse for the contractor not installing the home EVSE ? it's still very convenient to have it at home but yeah having a fast charger and standard chp at work is a major benefit especially when it's free so use it all you can it will save a few bob and you leave your number on the car if anyone wants to use it correct ? so there shouldn't be a problem , most people will use the DC charger anyway instead, you shouldn't need to use that ever unless at the weekends heading off on a longer trip and you need a fast top up.

Electrometer wiring problem took more than 3 months to be sorted by the builder. Since then... The visits to complete the installation (only thing left is to connect the unit to the fuse box and give me the access key) have been cancelled by the Ecars contractor, each time different reason. Tomorrow evening expecting another one... Well, will see.

Had another 200 + kms trip yesterday. Met 7 Leafs in total, no Zoes. I was kinda lucky with the FCP at Newlands and Tesco. On my arrival at Newlands a lovely lady in a white 12 reg Leaf let me charge as she was not in a hurry. While I was there charging, a black Leaf cab pulled in. The driver did not look pleased that the spot was occupied, went to check what percentage I was at and sped off, probably to a different FCP. On the way back decided to stop at Tesco Naas. Of course getting there in peak time was PIA but I was delighted to see there was no one charging. Connected my car, went to change my baby's nappy. By the time I came back, the car was nearly ready and a 151 D reg white Leaf was waiting with an open charging port and no one inside. Once I finished, I plugged him and left. I find it cool when I see the lid open. The car is like saying... I'm hungry hahahaha

I left home with 100%, on both FC I charged only to 80% and still had plenty of juice when I got back home. Today I would do nearly same trip, so we'll see.

And just to add that on the motorway the charging port lid open at 120+ km/h, obviously I did not close it properly...

Has anyone replaced the headlamp bulbs with the Osram Nightbreaker range?
    On all my ICE cars I had the bulbs replaced and the difference was significant! With a double !! mark, actually. I wish to try that in my Leaf but
    a) the car is just 4 months old and I am already thinking of changing stuff in it, not necessary thing to do but just to make myself happy
    b) in an ICE I would not care how the Nightbreaker would affect the battery as it gives you excellent performance with no hassle - would it be the same in the Leaf. Is the power needed for the upgraded bulb same or higher level?!?...
    c) as the car is under PCP am I allowed to actually do any changes?

• Advertisement

On all my ICE cars I had the bulbs replaced and the difference was significant! With a double !! mark, actually. I wish to try that in my Leaf but
    a) the car is just 4 months old and I am already thinking of changing stuff in it, not necessary thing to do but just to make myself happy
    b) in an ICE I would not care how the Nightbreaker would affect the battery as it gives you excellent performance with no hassle - would it be the same in the Leaf. Is the power needed for the upgraded bulb same or higher level?!?...

Nightbreaker bulbs are excellent, I had them in the Prius.

Changing the bulbs is no problem and they're the same wattage so no problem regarding power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I'll be doing it as soon as I can.
    Keep the original ones as spares in the glove box inside the container for the nightbreakers.
    Once you're used to them it's hard to go back.

Put the old ones back in at service time. That's my plan anyways. I'm probably being paranoid though. Can't see a consumer replaceable part voiding warranty but you'd never know.

Actually can anyone link to the H9 version of the nightbreakers? My usual amazon shopping trip is proving fruitless.

Nightbreaker bulbs are excellent, I had them in the Prius.

Changing the bulbs is no problem and they're the same wattage so no problem regarding power.

Off I went to the motor factor shop lol:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Actually now that I mention it, are the high beams H9 or H11? The US manual I have says H9.

Well... Long story short.
    Rang Micksgarage - they had no clue what is the bulb. So I told them I'd ring the dealer and ask.
    Rang the dealer, service department, could not find information. I asked him if he could go and check. While still on the phone he went and checked the one (SVE I guess, at least that was the one last time) they have in the show room. Could not tell me again. Said he will ring me back in 5 min.
    3.5 hours later a rang again, different guy, no clue again. Slow system, this-that bla-di-bla-bla. No info. Off he went to ask the dealer who sold me the car.
    The dealer asked me to put it in an email as he was busy...

Hahaha all this hassle just to find out what bulbs a 4 years old model uses? Well I was curious how far it would all go so kept pushing to get them to say it. It is funny that those lads did not know such a simple thing which makes you thing what would they know about the rest of the car... LOL...

Meanwhile I just popped the bonnet, opened the headlamp and checked...

An H4 bulb was smiling at me meaning that soon a delivery of a twin pack Osram Nightbreaker Unlimiteds would arrive to my house....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

Well... Long story short.
    Rang Micksgarage - they had no clue what is the bulb. So I told them I'd ring the dealer and ask.
    Rang the dealer, service department, could not find information. I asked him if he could go and check. While still on the phone he went and checked the one (SVE I guess, at least that was the one last time) they have in the show room. Could not tell me again. Said he will ring me back in 5 min.
    3.5 hours later a rang again, different guy, no clue again. Slow system, this-that bla-di-bla-bla. No info. Off he went to ask the dealer who sold me the car.
    The dealer asked me to put it in an email as he was busy...

Hahaha all this hassle just to find out what bulbs a 4 years old model uses? Well I was curious how far it would all go so kept pushing to get them to say it. It is funny that those lads did not know such a simple thing which makes you thing what would they know about the rest of the car... LOL...

Meanwhile I just popped the bonnet, opened the headlamp and checked...

An H4 bulb was smiling at me meaning that soon a delivery of a twin pack Osram Nightbreaker Unlimiteds would arrive to my house....

Surely the manual for the car could have told you what model of bulb it was???

So over 400km driven for the last 2 days starting with 100% charge and 4 FC all up to 83% maximum... Very pleased, no disturbance, charging points working well, no issues with other EV drivers.

Another evening lost though due waiting for the Ecars contractor who never came. No answer to my calls, nor messages. This time I will bring it to the attention of Peter Foley as I am fed up of being accommodative and yet again people not respecting my personal time.

highdef wrote: »
    Surely the manual for the car could have told you what model of bulb it was???

Imagine I have not got one and still have to go the same way :D

Went to see the BMW i3. Stunning car! Compact, very ergonomic, clever design. Wonderful. Did not have time to test it so we went only around the dealership. Very nippy, hyper strong regen. Can't wait to take it for an extended test drive :)

• Advertisement

Went to see the BMW i3. Stunning car! Compact, very ergonomic, clever design. Wonderful. Did not have time to test it so we went only around the dealership. Very nippy, hyper strong regen. Can't wait to take it for an extended test drive :)

I3 would be pretty powerful, a lot lighter with about 70 more hp and rear wheel drive so no need to throttle the power as much as in the leaf when you really hammer the throttle from stop. Very expensive though but at least has the option of a battery heater, should help get as much charge in in cold weather and if it's like the leaf should help charge faster at the DC charger when warm.

Advertisement