Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E-evo

Options

Comments

Roen wrote: »
    Actually now that I mention it, are the high beams H9 or H11? The US manual I have says H9.

The manual will tell you. ;) I remember having a quick glance once and it's there somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The manual will tell you. ;) I remember having a quick glance once and it's there somewhere.

That's the rub, the US manual says H9, Peposhi checked his and they are H4. I've also seen H11 being used in forums. Well I'll check on Friday. Only way to make sure.

Pity the EU one isn't available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

The manual says:

*1, *2 Low beam LED / High beam H9
    *1 Low/High beam H4

*1 - where fitted
    *2 - if replacement is required, ask a "knowledgable" Leaf repairer such as Nissan certified electric vehicle dealer.

... Enough said LOL

The electrician's wife went into labour yesterday, he texted me this morning. So another lad will come out and do the job...

Still thinking about the i3. Not that I would go and buy one, but so impressed with the design and all... Will book a test drive to see what is like. After all, the wifey is now fully pro-EV so you never know hahahaha

Home charging install saga has come to an end after 4 month of phone calls and missed appointments... I can now plug the Leaf in at any time (not convinced I'd need the night meter yet) and load some juice in.
    No more running in the rain to get to the SCP. Hahahz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

peposhi wrote: »
    not convinced I'd need the night meter yet

Definately worth it. Pretty soon they're going to stop installing night rate meters (started pulling Economy 7 meters from the market in the UK, already have in the North AFAIK). ~€50 standing charge increase, 1c increase in daytime unit price, 8c drop per unit for nine hours at night.

Given the kind of low-level continuous loads people have in their homes these days I'd say most people without an EV would even save money.

cros13 wrote: »
    Definately worth it. Pretty soon they're going to stop installing night rate meters (started pulling Economy 7 meters from the market in the UK, already have in the North AFAIK). ~€50 standing charge increase, 1c increase in daytime unit price, 8c drop per unit for nine hours at night.

Given the kind of low-level continuous loads people have in their homes these days I'd say most people without an EV would even save money.

Stopping night rate you mean ? so people will pay peak prices now even at night ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Stopping night rate you mean ? so people will pay peak prices now even at night ?

For the moment in the UK they are stopping new entrants, so no new night meters fitted, existing customers keep their Economy 7 plans.

I wouldn't risk the same thing happening here, though Eirgrid has a huge amount more spare power at night than the UK grid.

I remember a video on youtube about the U.K grid and how they were saying electric cars could help bring up the reduced energy at night they need to keep the grid efficient, there's a massive dip in consumption at night the call the "bathtub" effect. So I doubt spare capacity is a problem in the U.K.

I hope there is a massive protest against this in the U.K, energy costs are hugely expensive .

So, after being kindly advised by the EV gurus I have taken the next step. Requested the night meter install to take place ASAP. And funny enough, ESB organised it for tomorrow morning. Yes, shocking speed of service. Will update tomorrow.

• Advertisement

So, after being kindly advised by the EV gurus I have taken the next step. Requested the night meter install to take place ASAP. And funny enough, ESB organised it for tomorrow morning. Yes, shocking speed of service. Will update tomorrow.

Will you really benefit from it ? you charge at work and that gets you there and back ?

Great to finally get the home charge point installed though will be handy when you need it.

Will you really benefit from it ? you charge at work and that gets you there and back ?

Great to finally get the home charge point installed though will be handy when you need it.

Out of 18000kw used over the past 5 years 5000kw were used during the night. And that's because we did not care when and what for we were using the leccy. Now all washing, dishwasher, thimble drier + car charging would be moved to the night rate hours, so I guess the night rate usage will grow up from 30 to 55-60% of the total usage.
    Looking at it this way, yes I do think it would benefit us.
    I will still charge at work when needed, but will not depend on it or the town SCPs.

It is a relieve to have the HCP done. It took 4 months of phone calls, reminders, emails, meetings to do so. I was advised to either use clear lacquer or silicon spray to keep it from getting rusty. They where prone to get rusty over the time.

I wonder why the installer refused to fit it 5 metres away from the current position, rather than fitting it by the outside meter. It says in the manual - 10 metres is the max distance from the unit to the power supply... Can I not get an electrician to move it further?!?

The charge point should be installed where you want it not where is convenient for the electrician once it's within the said distance. disgrace if it's the same person who installed mine I should have got him back, he just threw the cable over the shed instead of tacking the cable around. But my mother was there for the install and without saying too much, she got the impression he would't be happy coming back !

It looks like Aviva are again trying their luck.

After upping the insurance on the ice from €280 to €297 (which at first I thought did not even worth spending the hour on the phone discussing the price) we got the Leaf renewal quote.

€354 (€417!!! over 10 months) compared to €240 for the year gone...

Shocking!!!

We've got 6+ years non claim bonus, no penalty points, we are NOT any getting younger, over 10 years with the same insurer, house, health, another car + one policy abroad insured in Aviva and every year I have to call them and spend time disputing the quote prices.
    It is ridiculous they have given us €40 discount since we've moved the insurance from 1.9 TDI to 0.0 EV bringing it down to €240 and now they ask for €354!?!
    There will be a murder on the phone today and not for €100 extra premium but for the complete nonsense pricing structure they have.
    This will be n-th year in a row to call and refuse to pay more than the previous year, argue and get a decent deal... Why do they have to do that. Miss my voice or what?

This is happening across the board, and there is a huge increase in whiplash claims over the last few years , we're heading back to the bad o'l days and the Government need to step in.

The insurance companies have been making losses for years due to providing insurance too cheap due to competition, there was an article in the Independent a few months back, so over the next 5 years there will be substantial rises in insurance premiums for everyone, young and old no matter how many no claims you have.

I had a tip in the Leaf a few months ago, a low speed impact about 20 Kph maybe a little less and the cow has put in a claim of whiplash and probably the 2 of them will claim. This is disgusting but everyone's doing it. And everyone that does it will also have to pay higher insurance premiums. Despite me having a video of them walking around with no signs of any discomfort it doesn't matter because my insurance will just pay out what ever their insurance agrees to because if it goes to court they might not get more but the legal fees will be tremendous and this is why they settle out of court, our legal system is disgusting and corrupt also with extortionate legal fees.

The payout one of them gets will probably be 3 times what it cost to get the cars repaired which was also extortionate because insurance companies were involved. Then your man will get a lump sum too costing probably 8-10 times the total repair costs.

My insurance was costing 450 on the Prius went up to 470 on the Leaf and will now probably hit 750 Euro's for the next 5 years as I'm deemed now a danger on the road in the eyes of the insurance companies. When I call up and say there has been a claim the insurance companies will be overjoyed licence to screw me for years.

I remember when I was younger and only Quinn Direct would insure me, I was paying 3,500 Euro's to drive to work and back, unbelievable but while it won't go back to this I can see insurance for me costing 1000 a year in the not too distant future.

This is happening across the board, and there is a huge increase in whiplash claims over the last few years , we're heading back to the bad o'l days and the Government need to step in.

The insurance companies have been making losses for years due to providing insurance too cheap due to competition, there was an article in the Independent a few months back, so over the next 5 years there will be substantial rises in insurance premiums for everyone, young and old no matter how many no claims you have.

I had a tip in the Leaf a few months ago, a low speed impact about 20 Kph maybe a little less and the cow has put in a claim of whiplash and probably the 2 of them will claim. This is disgusting but everyone's doing it. And everyone that does it will also have to pay higher insurance premiums. Despite me having a video of them walking around with no signs of any discomfort it doesn't matter because my insurance will just pay out what ever their insurance agrees to because if it goes to court they might not get more but the legal fees will be tremendous and this is why they settle out of court, our legal system is disgusting and corrupt also with extortionate legal fees.

The payout one of them gets will probably be 3 times what it cost to get the cars repaired which was also extortionate because insurance companies were involved. Then your man will get a lump sum too costing probably 8-10 times the total repair costs.

My insurance was costing 450 on the Prius went up to 470 on the Leaf and will now probably hit 750 Euro's for the next 5 years as I'm deemed now a danger on the road in the eyes of the insurance companies. When I call up and say there has been a claim the insurance companies will be overjoyed licence to screw me for years.

I remember when I was younger and only Quinn Direct would insure me, I was paying 3,500 Euro's to drive to work and back, unbelievable but while it won't go back to this I can see insurance for me costing 1000 a year in the not too distant future.
    Absolutely shocking, mad lad... Nothing to add...

I got a quote from one direct - €315, fully comprehensive for my wife and myself...

Rang Aviva... They had a hard time trying to convince me they're right. Aviva have reduced the no penalty points discount to 27% from 33% previously. Also last year they have given me 20% renewal discount which they do not offer anymore for a second car in the family. Only multi car discount applies...
    So the best offer they had was €334 and if I remove my NCD protection it will be €300. Not a good thing though.

It's 4 women and 123.ie both quoted me for more than €430.

Will try Allianz, Zurich and Axa to see who would be the best...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I've found Aviva to be criminally expensive for years now. They always come in a huge amount more expensive than the likes of 123, No Nonsense, AXA etc.
    You won't be rewarded by them for keeping a load of policies with them for years. You get the best deals by continually switching.

What I failed to understand until it was pointed out to me and it all makes sense now is that your no claims discount protection only covers the no claims, but they can charge what premium they want because this isn't protected.

Axa - €645
    Allianz - €390
    Zurich - €475
    123 - €450
    Its4women - €440
    Aviva -€300
    1 direct - 315

Some price differences :)

So Aviva it would be...

Axa - €645
    Allianz - €390
    Zurich - €475
    123 - €450
    Its4women - €440
    Aviva -€300
    1 direct - 315

Some price differences :)

So Aviva it would be...

• Advertisement

cros13 wrote: »

Also make sure the charge timer is off. First connect everything up and then hit this button to override any timers:

2013_Leaf_Timer_Override.png

Cros13 this is a very helpful tip

Very helpful tip, cros13.
    I now have the car with the charging schedule timer on all day long and temporarily disable it when using a SCP. When back home, plug the cable and walk away. The car's ready in the morning.

Did another long trip the other day with the family.
    Home-Kilkenny-Waterford-Clonmel-Cahir-Clonmel-Home
    3 fast charges all together and no issues made the trip pleasant and enjoyable.
    Have to say that (long it may continue) unlike some other EV owners I must have been really lucky with the infrastructure so far. With the addition of the home charger and chargers at work the 9K driven so far have been a real pleasure. Eevo has become the main family car and whoever does a longer trip gets the car now. The ice is used only once/twice a week. We'd forget the last time we went to refuel it... I started calling it The Shopping Basket lol even though is not being used even for trips to the shop anymore... We would not part with it though as it is a very reliable car, more than 5 years in the family and it's good to have a back up.

So...
    First real problem.
    After 13k enjoyable driving the ac fan stopped working. First I thought I just needed to restart the car, silly me thinking of it as if it's a computer hahaha. No luck. Called the garage, arranged a day to check the issue. I was told it was going to take an hour to check it so I went with my parents and the baby for a trip to Kilkenny. From one hour it turned out it was 4 hours wait. ..
    I now know why no one is permitted in the garage while their car is being repaired.The lads in the garage were very kind to offer to drop us off at the McDonagh's place at lunch time so I had to get the baby seat from my car... The whole dash was out, all in bits and pieces all over the place... My heart skipped a beat... When I took a breath I told myself they knew what they're doing and to stop thinking about it as I had very same mess while tuning my old cars for years... I only said a prayer so they don't miss anything when they put it back together as these were the lads that took forever to get me the headlight bulb type a while back...
    Anyway, after 4 hours I got the car back (OK, one of them was their break), I was told what I said to them before I handed the car - the motor fan needs a replacement. I was to be given a call the same day re part availability, waiting time and day to get it fixed... It's one week already that I have not gotten an answer. I rang them 3 times only to be told they're waiting for a reply to the email they sent re part request... Looks like the emails are been sent by pigeons these day... I will again today and might have to contact Nissan Dublin again to share my concerns over the speed and quality of Nissan service :)

A fan and the haven't one in stock ? that's bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

A fan and the haven't one in stock ? that's bad form.

Probably just an indication that there is no demand for them in general. If they had one in stock would mean that they are considered a consumable.

Hardly any garage keeps a local stock of spare parts these days as logistics have moved on since 80's while the unit cost of components have skyrocketed. Even back then most of the parts in stock at dealer I used to work were a selection of 70's parts combined with service items for newer cars. The importers had a large warehouse in capital though but even that is probably gone now and everything get shipped from UK/Europe.

samih wrote: »
    Probably just an indication that there is no demand for them in general. If they had one in stock would mean that they are considered a consumable.

Hardly any garage keeps a local stock of spare parts these days as logistics have moved on since 80's while the unit cost of components have skyrocketed. Even back then most of the parts in stock at dealer I used to work were a selection of 70's parts combined with service items for newer cars. The importers had a large warehouse in capital though but even that is probably gone now and everything get shipped from UK/Europe.

my issue is not the waiting time and i do understand parts have to be got so the repair can happen. the problem is - communication. i had to ring again this Wed to actually find out the part has been delivered... again, no call or indication from the garage so i can organise my things before i get there. they know i live 80km away and the repair will take 3-4h (confirmed over the phone)... one phone call and clear info, that's all i asked for...

All fixed now, fans is working alright.

so cool to see an SVE Leaf all dressed up for newlywed couple at the Klanard hotel in Athy... someone definitely got electrified :)

so cool to see an SVE Leaf all dressed up for newlywed couple at the Klanard hotel in Athy... someone definitely got electrified :)

Excellent ! that's a first I'd say lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I read your issues with the EVSE install ( charging point !

I presume there is no actual regulations , other then using a RECI. To put in the correct feed cable and RCBO.

I'm not going to bother involving the ESB

Advertisement