Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't Browse but connected

Options
  • 21-03-2015 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

I'm having a problem getting online. I purchased a dell desktop PC recently (second hand), its running windows vista. I purchased a USB wifi adapter in Argos to get it online. I set it up and its showing as connected and the wifi signal is full strength. When i used internet explorer or chrome it does not seem to browse at all.
    Using firefox i can browse for a couple of minutes and then it seems to stop, a lot of the time i can google something and it returns results but when i try click on the link it just stays loading but never actually loads. Ive disabled the firewall in the control panel. Don't know what to do next? Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The first thing I always try is a tracert. Eg. Tracert 213.17.32.1 the address is just a random one I always use.

I'd be looking to see if there are any failure points particularly between the WiFi and the isp

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

I don't think that is the issues because every other device works fine laptops, phones and tv is all ok it's onot this desktop I picked up the other Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I don't think that is the issues because every other device works fine laptops, phones and tv is all ok it's onot this desktop I picked up the other Day.
    Is it a desktop computer? I'd use a wired ethernet connection for highest speed and stability.

As far as the USB device is concerned, I'd update to the latest drivers. Google the device name and see if other had similar problems...

What did you buy exactly?

Is it a desktop computer? I'd use a wired ethernet connection for highest speed and stability.

As far as the USB device is concerned, I'd update to the latest drivers. Google the device name and see if other had similar problems...

What did you buy exactly?

It's a dell dimension e521. it's running windows vista . The usb adaptor is tp-link Tl-Wn823n

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Running a trace route is still worth checking, this will show you exactly where the connection is breaking down, most likely between your wifi dongle and your modem/router. Of course you could always try to access your router when it won't connect to external sites.

What does the Device Manager say? Are the drivers up to date! Does the wifi dongle support Vista?

• Advertisement

Ok. Do I just dowload this and save it on a memory stick?

Ok. Do I just dowload this and save it on a memory stick?
    It's most likely an installer so just double click and follow the instructions.

5uspect wrote: »
    Running a trace route is still worth checking, this will show you exactly where the connection is breaking down, most likely between your wifi dongle and your modem/router. Of course you could always try to access your router when it won't connect to external sites.

What does the Device Manager say? Are the drivers up to date! Does the wifi dongle support Vista?
    Tracert won't open. When I try open it it opens for a split second and closes again. Tried running it as an administrator and it's the same thing.

Tracert won't open. When I try open it it opens for a split second and closes again. Tried running it as an administrator and it's the same thing.
    You probably want to run it from a terminal rather than from the run dialog.

Type "cmd" in the start menu search and open cmd.exe when it comes up.

• Advertisement

You probably want to run it from a terminal rather than from the run dialog.

Type "cmd" in the start menu search and open cmd.exe when it comes up.

Ok what am i looking out for on this, i've ran it. Thanks for your help so far.

It's most likely an installer so just double click and follow the instructions.
    Iv'e tried to download it onto a memory stick and install it on the desktop but it wont open the file.

How computer literate are you? Do you have anyone local that could help you out?

5uspect wrote: »
    How computer literate are you? Do you have anyone local that could help you out?
    Im better than average but not fully literate. Is there a reason why it would work for a short time on firefox and not on chrome or ie?

Forget about the browsers, we need to make sure you're getting a connection to your router.
    Is your wifi dongle Vista compatible?
    Have you installed the latest driver?
    Have you followed the instructions from the link to the latest driver posted above?
    http://www.tp-link.com.au/resources/document/TL-WN823N_V1_QIG.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

tracert google.com steps:

Open Command prompt
    342785.jpg

At the prompt, type tracert google.com
    342786.jpg

Press enter on your keyboard
    342787.jpg

Advertisement