Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's triathlon cycling shoes

Options
  • 21-03-2015 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I'm finally taking the plunge into clip in pedals, I'm just confused/bemused about which shoes to get. I have smallish feet (UK 5 to 5.5) but they are a bit on the wide side with a bit of a high instep so would be interested to hear if anyone can offer any advise as to fit and comfort when going without socks. The shoes I've been looking at on Wiggle are:
    Fizik Women's K5 Triathlon Shoe
    Shimano Women's WT60 SPD-SL Triathlon Shoes
    Bont Riot Tri Shoe

Any advise concerning the best clips option for a nervous beginner would also be appreciated.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My advice would be to go to an actual shop to fit and buy your shoes, and have your cleats properly adjusted. It matters.

After that, i initially found clipping in harder than clipping out! You need to kinda tip the pedal forward then slide your foot in. Practice in a doorway at home before heading out. To clip out push your heel down and twist it out. Dont pull up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I wouldn't be to concerned about a high instep hampering you as tri shoes generally tend to have an open or at least open from the top. Some form of support under your arch might be needed but as Oryx said go into a store and try on a few. It's always a good idea to buy your first pair of shoes in a bricks and mortar shop then you can pick up bargains online for the next pair.

As for comfort this will depend on how well they fit And how prone to blisters you are. You can put on socks if you want most do And unless you're at the pointy end of things a few seconds lost in T1 isn't going to ruin your day.

You'll get the hang of clipping in and out in no time there's nothing to it. Just be sure you lean to the side you've unclipped from as most silly falls happen when someone unclipped on their left then shifts their weight to the right usually witnessed at traffic lights :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

^^^ everyone does that at least once. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

^^^^^ Yep! Guilty here!!! :o

Advertisement