Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spaying a female pup - cost

• 22-03-2015 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

My vet has quoted me €165 to have my female pup spayed. She's quite small - about 6kg (pug/jack Russell X) and I'm just wondering if that is excessive or about right? I'd rather take her to this vet who she knows from vaccinations/chipping providing it's not way over the odds price wise. How much did you pay? Any input much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Sounds about right to me. Where are you based OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nedbroy

Sounds about right to me. Where are you based OP?

I'm in Dublin. Is what it is then I guess! Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bluejelly

I paid 260 last week to get my 22kg pup spayed (laproscopic). The lighter the pup the lower the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Nedbroy wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin. Is what it is then I guess! Thank you.

If you wanted you could travel (Cavan is an hour away) and prices are a lot cheaper than Dublin.

That said, it'll cost you diesel and tolls to get there and back.

Lemlin wrote: »
    If you wanted you could travel (Cavan is an hour away) and prices are a lot cheaper than Dublin.

That said, it'll cost you diesel and tolls to get there and back.

Thanks for the tip. Yes I guess with travel expenses it wouldn't be worth the extra trauma for the dog, she hates the car at the best of times! Thanks anyway.

• Advertisement

bluejelly wrote: »
    I paid 260 last week to get my 22kg pup spayed (laproscopic). The lighter the pup the lower the cost.

Wow, guess I'm getting away lightly then. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

We got our 21kg Lab cross neutered 10 days in Dublin ago for €190.00.
    €165 seems pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭piebaldskwbald

€120 in limerick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Lucy (retriever) was around €150 last year for traditional spay - she was 29kgs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

i was in my vets last week with angels ,enquiring about getting her spayed ..he mentioned a voucher scheme for unempolyed and people that cant afford to pay ..

allthough they were gone,he said the charity could give them out if i contacted them

www.dogstrust.ie/az/s/subsidisedneutering/#.VRJZsWZU0-8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

My pup was spayed at my local vets in Dublin a month ago.....169 euro and she was 10 kgs at the time.

Interesting to see a wide variance in spaying costs.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I was quoted €210 for a 6kg pup. Very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

That seems a bit expensive Dub07, Alli was 12kg when i got her spayed and it cost €150, my 7kg terrier cost €120

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

SingItOut wrote: »
    That seems a bit expensive Dub07, Alli was 12kg when i got her spayed and it cost €150, my 7kg terrier cost €120

It's a bit outrageous, isn't it? I'm leaving her till at least a year old before spaying so I've time to ring around.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭deadwood85

It's 70 euro in the blue cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kerry15

I paid 180eur for my pom pup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oops I forgot that I didn't get any pain meds for Lucy which would have increased the price - had some left over from Bailey's op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

tk123 wrote: »
    Oops I forgot that I didn't get any pain meds for Lucy which would have increased the price - had some left over from Bailey's op.

Following on from this, keep in mind that some of the discrepancy in price may be due to things such as:

1) does the estimate include post-operative non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
    2) does the estimate include post-operative checks (usually 3 and 10 days' post-operatively)
    3) does the estimate include an Elizabethan collar to prevent traumatising the wound during the recovery period
    4) unlikely, but would the estimate cover for other elective procedures such as removal of deciduous teeth, vestigial/supernumeray dewclaws, ear flush, microchipping, grooming, nail clip etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

deadwood85 wrote: »
    It's 70 euro in the blue cross.

This is a service for disadvantaged pet owners, those truly in need, please do not abuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 NewStart!

Its 50 euros for a spay for any breed of female dog in the vet clinics in Fethard, Cahir and Dundrum in Tipperary :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement